Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 PM

20 posts, read 126,214 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are considering making a move from NY to SD. Just a little background info..we are looking to move in 2010. At that time I will be 25, and my boyfriend will be 26. We would like to live in an area that is close to some shopping, restaurants, and maybe some bars. We aren't big partiers, but like to go out to bars once in a while. We love the beach. We do enjoy walking to places, but we will also have a car....so an area that has some places that are walkable would be great...but it doesn't have to be walkable to everything. Additionally, we would love to live within a complex that has a pool, fitness center, etc. My boyfriend is most likely going to be working towards his master's degree when we are there, and he is thinking of going to SDSU..so we would want something that wouldn't be a long commute for him. Ideally, it would be great if our rent was $1000 max....but we may consider going up to $1200.

Now for my question...based upon what I've told you...would you recommend for us to look for apartments in La Jolla, Clairemont, Point Loma, or a completely different area?? These 3 areas all look really nice..and I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Ellie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
In your price range, I think Clairemont is the only real option. Anything in Point Loma for that price range will probably be undesirable (there are some scuzzy complexes in the Point Loma area) and I am not sure that you will find much in La Jolla in the 1K range.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM

37 posts, read 122,472 times
Yeah, In your price range I would recommend Clairemont or Mission Valley

Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 PM

16 posts, read 43,168 times
I hate to say it but with a 1k budget, you won't find ANYTHING in La Jolla. Perhaps UTC.... Mission Valley is not that doable either (You would need closer to a 1200-1400 for a fairly nice one bedroom here).

Claremont is doable and would not be a bad commute.

Overall I would say it's great that you're thinking ahead but a lot can also change in a year or more. When in 2010 are you looking to move? Beginning, mid, end? It's great to put out feelers now but I would not do tooooooo much research until you are closer to making the move - maybe 3-6 months from moving. It's too early to say how pricing will be in a year or more. Who knows, you may find you don't even want to live in those same neighborhoods in a year or so or your criteria may be vastly different....

I hope everything does work out and if you do move here, you will not regret it. SD is hands down my favorite place and there are so many great things to enjoy. SD has a certain unique quality and kindness to it that I have not seen in any other city.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 AM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
The edge of squaremont is less than 1 mile to Mission Bay, aka the "ocean".

Old 01-30-2009, 12:38 PM

20 posts, read 126,214 times
Thanks so much for your replies. I am still in grad school in NY right now and will graduate in May 2010. Right after graduation is when we're looking to move and my boyfriend is looking to start grad school that fall in CA. We were also considering FL, but there aren't really any schools that have the major he is interested in..in the areas we would want to live. I totally understand how the prices of areas can change..and we may change our minds about where we want to be..but we also want to start getting an idea of what we want. Additonally..due to our interest in moving there...we are most likely going to take a trip to SD this summer to check out the areas that we are looking to live. Does anyone have any other suggestions on locations that would fall within our price range that are great places to live?

Thank you again for all of your help!!

Old 01-30-2009, 12:52 PM

16 posts, read 43,168 times
La Jolla probably won't be affordable in all reality but definitely try to check out UTC, Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach since I know you mentioned you do like the beach, Clairemont, Mission Valley and even North Park and Hillcrest would be great as they have a lot of shopping centers and restaurants that are within walking distance. Good luck with everything! I would try rent.com, apartment.com and craigslist to give you an idea of the complexes around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego