Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:51 PM

19 posts, read 63,105 times

Advertisements

If anyone knows of anyone hiring IT professionals can you let me know? I've already applied all over the past couple of weeks. I'm ready to leave where I'm at to start working asap. I'll have to break my lease where I'm at but I don't care if it means getting out of where I am!

I have 10 years experience and am very skilled at what I do.

Any hookups would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 04:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,961 times
Do not move anywhere without first having a job lined up.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Do not move anywhere without first having a job lined up.
lol....DUH?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,862 times
A lot places including the big employers are laying off or freezing IT staffs. HP, Northrop, Sony, and QUALCOMM just to name a few. As an Programer Analyst with 22 years experience I can tell you it is tough out there. I've been looking since Nov.

Best of luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR TORQUENSTEIN View Post
lol....DUH?
Going by your original post, you sounded like you are ready to up and leave wherever you are just to move to San Diego without a job already lined up.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
I have 10 years experience and am very skilled at what I do.
What is it you do? "IT Professional" doesn't mean much. Most companies are either in a hiring freeze or laying off. However if you have certain skills there are still jobs out there.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 02-04-2009 at 06:56 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBear View Post
Best of luck!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Going by your original post, you sounded like you are ready to up and leave wherever you are just to move to San Diego without a job already lined up.
Sorry I was not clear. The reason I made this thread was because I'm seeking employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
What is it you do? "IT Professional" doesn't mean much. Most companies are either in a hiring freeze or laying off. However if you have certain skills there are still jobs out there.
IT Professional is such a broad term because I do pretty much anything related to IT.

I specialize in computer repair/networking, though.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
IT Professional is such a broad term because I do pretty much anything related to IT.

I specialize in computer repair/networking, though.
Ok, so here's the brutal truth.

Unless you are a very highly skilled network engineer, or systems engineer (think setting up a SAN, or mastery of Cisco IOS), you are looking at 40k a year and fighting against a couple thousand people for those low-level IT jobs.

San Diego is good for software engineers, hardware engineers, and other high-level specialized skills, but for "general IT" you might end up making 15 bucks an hour. This town has a lot of brainpower and a limited job market.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Ok, so here's the brutal truth.

Unless you are a very highly skilled network engineer, or systems engineer (think setting up a SAN, or mastery of Cisco IOS), you are looking at 40k a year and fighting against a couple thousand people for those low-level IT jobs.

San Diego is good for software engineers, hardware engineers, and other high-level specialized skills, but for "general IT" you might end up making 15 bucks an hour. This town has a lot of brainpower and a limited job market.
I saw quite a few "it director" positions, which I have 5+ years experience in. What other county(s) would you recommend living in? you seem to know your s@#$t

Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I saw quite a few "it director" positions, which I have 5+ years experience in. What other county(s) would you recommend living in? you seem to know your s@#$t
It just depends on what your experience looks like. You won't get an IT director job with 5 years experience in general IT.

If your experience is primarily in the pc repair / windows installs / general desktop support area I would look at lower-cost areas like Texas and the midwest where they have more trouble attracting IT talent. CA is a highly competative job market and most of the lower rungs are taken up by gearhead asian kids who know PC's inside and out and will work for peanuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego