Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 08:21 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to ask if anyone on here has attended UCSD for their Bioengineering major, especially their BS/MS combination degree.

My husband and I are moving to San Diego in May of this year and I am considering going back to get another bachelor's degree (and possibly master's while I'm at it) in the subject. I already have a BS degree in Hospitality Management (which turned out to be pretty worthless, unfortunately - I worked for the Walt Disney Company and stupidly got caught up in getting a degree in something related to my job at that moment). I'd like to know if anyone on here has personally got a degree in Bioengineering or if they know someone who has, and if they felt it was worthwhile. I know that San Diego is a pretty major biotech center.

I was considering taking any science core classes I may need at City College while I'm waiting the year to establish residency. I'm just trying to determine at this point if another 3 years of school would be worth it...

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
The whole Bio department is kind of a specialty for UCSD. It's something they're very well known for.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
The whole Bio department is kind of a specialty for UCSD. It's something they're very well known for.
Yeah, that's what I've heard. It's definitely something I find interest in! Thanks. =)

Old 03-15-2009, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,060 times
Check out [url=http://www.listenbird.com]ListenBird Music[/url] for free music to listen to while at the great beaches near UCSD!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,864 times
That department is one of the best in the world. Being one of the best it is also very competitive. Do they admit incoming undergrads into the BS/MS program directly?

What do you want to do with the degree once you get it? I ask because, while San Diego is a major biotech hub, it isn't necessarily a major bioengineering hub. With bioengineering you will be more then capable to do most of the BS/MS level jobs in biotech but it may not be worth the engineering load if your interest is more biological.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego