Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 PM

62 posts, read 310,781 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a small starter home in the suburbs in either Northern California or San Diego. Small starter homes in safe, suburban SD neighborhoods are sooo much cheaper than anything I've seen in Norcal (including tiny, dead, cow-town areas outside the Bay Area) that I'm wondering why. Are there just NO jobs in SD at all, or did the market just crash especially hard there? Are salaries so much lower in San Diego that it warrants these low prices? Or is Northern California just shockingly overpriced, even in the cow-town areas? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 PM

62 posts, read 310,781 times
To elaborate on my original post--I've looked extensively at real estate in Northern California--and there are towns where there is nothing but a dead cow, a starving dog and a minimart, and the falling down shacks there STILL cost $1 million+. By comparison, San Diego is beautiful, and warm, and full of people and things to do...and it's so cheap.... ?

Old 02-06-2009, 11:14 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,523 times
Can you give an example of a cow town where falling down shacks cost $1 million?

In California, houses have value for two reasons. (1) Desirable retirement destination (especially if it's less than 10 miles to the ocean), (2) close to high-income jobs. Marin County is both, and therefore it's expensive like hell. Stockton is neither, and you will have a hard time finding ANYTHING worth $1 million in there.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 AM

812 posts, read 4,081,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsa View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a small starter home in the suburbs in either Northern California or San Diego. Small starter homes in safe, suburban SD neighborhoods are sooo much cheaper than anything I've seen in Norcal (including tiny, dead, cow-town areas outside the Bay Area) that I'm wondering why. Are there just NO jobs in SD at all, or did the market just crash especially hard there? Are salaries so much lower in San Diego that it warrants these low prices? Or is Northern California just shockingly overpriced, even in the cow-town areas? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

A

Can you name some of those cow towns so we can get a better idea? There are certain rural areas in the Bay Area, perhaps even cowtowny, that are expensive because of that rural quality, yet so close by to the city. My parents live in the Sacramento area and real estate's hardly as inflated as you say. There's no way they could sell their house and get something comparable down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego