Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 03:22 PM

58 posts, read 161,928 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any info on Fall Brook? Seems like a good area..how would it compare with Carlsbad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 03:39 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Anyone have any info on Fall Brook? Seems like a good area..how would it compare with Carlsbad?
Compared to Carlsbad... lower income and education levels, more of a rural / agricultural / residential mix... some horse properties. Hotter weather and high fire danger. Carlsbad is generally perceived as a more desirable community with better schools, shopping, and other amenities.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 21,679 times
Fallbrook is definitely hotter, but it's a nice area if you want a little room between you and your neighbor. The unemployment rate amongst the people who live there is very low. Many affluent people live in Fallbrook. Lots of Architects, MDs, Attorneys, Professional baseball players, business owners, etc., as well as very rich farmers.
It's got a bit of a country feel to it.

Carlsbad seems to be very crowded. Lots of good restaurants and shopping. In Carlsbad you often have to keep up with the Joneses. Fallbrook it doesn't matter. (Oh, I don't live in either city)

Both Carlsbad and Fallbrook have their share of low income families.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM

53 posts, read 375,182 times
I moved from Coronado to Fallbrook several years ago for a variety of reasons and have never looked back. The key to California is to stay within 20 miles of the coast, beyond that it's too hot in the summers. Fallbrook is about 15 to 17 miles from the coast and runs about 10 degrees hotter than the coast, very comfortable. 20 miles from the coast is about 20 degrees hotter than on the coast -- too hot for most people.

The east side of Fallbrook is in the Bonsall school district, which is very good, comparable to Poway, Bonita and even LaJolla and Coronado.

Fallbrook is green for a lot of the year with golf courses and avocado trees. Lots of upscale homes have been built here in the last decade.

There are jobs all around but it's also a great place for telecommuting since Orange County, San Diego and Los Angeles are close by. Ditto for airports if your job requires national or international travel.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,438 times
I used to live in Oceanside, then Fallbrook, and now Temecula. Here's my Fallbrook experience:

Pros:
-Gorgeous topography and foliage. Greenery and flowers everywhere!
-Small town feel (for some this is a con)
-way milder weather than the IE
-availability of rural/horse property
-access to lots and lots of avocados

Cons:
-Still kind of a pain to get to the coast despite proximity (the 76/mission out there is a bear)
-small town feel (to some, a pro)
-very inconvenient for a family in terms of shopping and recreation opportunities..the library is tiny, there are no department stores or chains except Albertsons. The idea is nice, but not practical, so you drive to Temecula or Oceanside all the time for shopping/restaurants/fun
-Fallbrook schools leave a lot to be desired....Bonsall is okay, but again, you have to pick and choose your location very carefully and do a lot of driving
-Getting in and out is frustrating in general- my husband's commute to Poway actually decreased in time when we moved to Temecula because getting to the 15 is so much easier here

Old 02-09-2009, 01:09 AM

53 posts, read 375,182 times
Fallbrook is building a new library right now and, beyond Albertson's for food, there are quite a few places to shop including Daniels Apple Market (76 at Mission in Bonsall/Fallbrook), Fresh and Easy, Major Market and more. The town has everything you'll need times two EXCEPT a mall, which many people see as a plus. I used to travel to Temecula's Old Town for its antique stores until I dicovered Fallbrook's Barn Sales -- way cool and much better prices. Fallbrook has some great nurseries too. As with many people, I do more online shopping than I used to anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego