Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 AM

19 posts, read 72,966 times

Advertisements

I have been reaqding the posts on this forum for a few days warning people "not to move to San Diego right now because the job market is brutal" (its brutal all accross the U.S. also...). So some advise people give is get a job lined up before you move to San Diego.

Well, I live in southeast Wisconsin and I have a planned move date of July 25 to move into the La Mirage apartments across from the Chargers stadium. I am a sales professional with about 3 years experience.

My question is this--How can you realistically line up a job in a city that you are 2,150 miles away from? Has anyone actually tried doing that on this forum? Especially in an economy like this, how could that be done without actually living there? Only phone interviews can be done or possibily a flight out for an interview...but realistically, with all of the job seekers out there, why would an employer hire someone who is so far away over someone allready in the area???

Any advise or experience here? I am moving without a job and am looking for a sales position. They must be options for salespeople in a city as large as San Diego...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 AM

178 posts, read 601,725 times
dsm- I don't live in San Diego but will likely be moving there this summer after my husband's new job negotiations are settled.

In my opinion, in this kind of economy, it is irresponsible to relocate ANYWHERE without a job lined up! I wouldn't dream of moving without knowing where my next meal was coming from!

So, how do you do that? On line! Research companies in San Diego and look at their human resources links. Companies often post job listings if they are hiring.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:50 AM

93 posts, read 317,832 times
I'm trying to land a job in CA from NY. It is difficult to say the least.

If I were an employer, I'd be looking to hire the most qualified candidate or the candidate that I thought would fit best into the workplace, even if that meant hiring someone from out of state. Relocation costs don't have to be paid by the company, so as long as the hire could relocate quickly and it didn't cost me anything, it may not seem like much difference where the applicant lives currently.

The big disadvantage obviously is that a local person is available for an in-person first interview. Some companies don't do first interviews over the phone, so you're likely disqualified unless you're willing to fly out for it, which is cost prohibitive and really a long shot if the hiring process entails multiple interviews. Flying out for a second interview would be more reasonable, perhaps. Then again some companies only do one round of interviewing before hiring. I guess you'd have to ask.

I think your resume and cover letter have to garner some attention and be strong enough to generate strong interest and flexibility with the employer. There are definitely people on this forum who have landed jobs from out of state. It's certainly easier said than done. I have a friend here (NY) who just got a college teaching position on the West Coast (Seattle, I believe). The hiring process seems to be slightly different for every profession.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 AM

154 posts, read 909,955 times
I am moving over 2000 miles away from where I am now and I don't have a job lined up. I've already submitted my resume to several positions that were ad's in the newspaper, and some on an employment website. No one has responded of course. But still, I'm getting my name out there as much as I can before I get there. Most places will want to meet in person before even thinking of offering you a position. So unless you are transferring with your current company, or know someone there with a job hookup, I think it's very difficult to find a job BEFORE you move somewhere. All you do is contact employment agencies, respond to job ads in the paper and get your resume out to as many places as possible and call to follow up on the status. That's what I'm donig. It's worked for me when I've moved in the past. But, during the current recession situation, it might be much harder to find jobs. So many people are desperate for work right now. People are accepting jobs that they are way over qualified for and they are accepting much lower wages. So good luck, when you get to San D. hit the ground running, you'll find something.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:04 AM

87 posts, read 379,190 times
In my opinion, in this kind of economy, it is irresponsible to relocate ANYWHERE without a job lined up! I wouldn't dream of moving without knowing where my next meal was coming from!

But maybe the OP has savings built in to the plan. I have always heard that a local address helps a lot! We when moved cross county- we got a local cell phone number when my husband was job hunting and used a relatives local address as well. DO you know anyone in SD already?

Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
I am not moving to San Diego like yourself. But when I was in college I packed up whatever I owned and moved to the bay area. It turned out good because the job market was good. Then I moved to GA and had no job but got 5 job offers within a week, again a good economy (we ended up moving back to the bay area because of my husband's job), then we moved back to the bay area.

Recently, I moved to GA because of the cost of living in CA. I did not secure a job before I moved and that was a big mistake. I thought things were the same the years ago when I initially moved there. It wasn't and was one of the biggest mistakes and learning lessons I've ever experienced. In this economy you need to find a job first.

If you know people that are local to where you will be moving to ask them what methods, search engines, job sites, they use in addition to who is hiring. If people are communicating that the job market is bad in SD you better believe them as they have more insight than you do. Also, if you have an address and phone number for where you would be living use that and start apply before you move. It will take people a while before they even call you back to begin with. So putting your name out there prior to your move helps. Before you move I would plan a flight to revisit the area and go on some interviews.

If you don't have a year to 2 years worth of savings, in this economy I wouldn't move if I were you.

We ended up leaving GA just after 7 months of us moving all to rebuild ourselves again.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 AM

How early do you think I should start applying for jobs? My move date is scheduled to be July 25th. I just dont want to apply too early because people dont plan that far ahead. I am in a tough spot here...

Old 02-12-2009, 10:50 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i think your best bet is to lie about your address on your resume and if any companies are interested in interviewing you, fly out and go to the interview. i hope you have a decent amount of experience though because competition for jobs is very high right now.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Default My 2 cents

My question is this--How can you realistically line up a job in a city that you are 2,150 miles away from? Has anyone actually tried doing that on this forum? Especially in an economy like this, how could that be done without actually living there? Only phone interviews can be done or possibily a flight out for an interview...but realistically, with all of the job seekers out there, why would an employer hire someone who is so far away over someone allready in the area???

This is one way you can do it:

I emailed a company to inquire about working for them even though they did not have a position posted for my skills. I also attached my resume to the email. It was amazing that the director of the facility emailed me back and wanted to talk with me. After we talked she wanted to interview me. So she flew me out from Texas, picked me up at the airport, set me up in a hotel, took me to dinner to meet the higher ups within company. The following day taken to the facility where I would be working to tour it as well as interview for hours with the people that I would actually be trained by and working with. They took me to lunch after the interview and then drove me to the airport. They paid for everything. At the end of all of this a few days later they offered me the position. The only bad thing about the offer was that they don't pay relocation expenses. It was almost the deal breaker for me. That is how you can do it if the company is really interested in you.

I am not trying to shed a negative light on your mission BUT I personally would not be relocating anywhere that I did not already have a job set up….especially in this recession/depression. That is something to keep in the front of your mind.

Last edited by TVC15; 02-12-2009 at 11:23 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Yeah I really want a job before I get out there, but that is WAAAAAAYYYYY easier said than done. I have about 9 months reserves in the bank ($18,000), but that i really not that much...hmmmmm...

I am going to post a request for people to send me website that thgey ahve used to get jobs in San Diego for sales now. And I guess hope I get a job before I move.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how that bartending market is? How much can a bartender make in a decent area? Im sure jobs are slim there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego