Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,622 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone!

So, in august I will be moving to San Diego to attend USD School of Law. I was just wondering if anyone knew the best neighborhood to live in as a grad student. I don't really need to be super close, just somewhere kind of quiet, with smaller houses for rent. I can't do an apartment, because I have two dogs and need a yard. I would like to be around other young people (I'm 23), but would rather be in a nicer neighborhood if its a choice between the two. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm nervous about making the move across the country (I'm from Charleston, SC), but really excited for a change of scenery since I have lived here my whole life...

Thanks!
Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Try Pacific Beach as it is relatively close to USD, on the beach, and filled lots of 20'somethings. It is not very quiet in the central parts but if you rent a bit north or south of the central PB area then you should be alright. Alternatively you could try the Ocean Beach area which is a bit more grown up and less party orientated but still only a short drive from the clubs in PB if you feel like partying it up a bit.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:38 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
I teach at USD (undergrad, not law school). Congrats on getting in! It's a beautiful campus.

I assume you have a car? Houses are expensive (even to rent) around the beach areas, but many grad students find houses to rent around SDSU. The drive would be only about 15 minutes from there at most. If you end up looking at Craig's List or the like, check out College East and West, Normal Heights, Allied Gardens, and Lake Murray. Even out where I live (Spring Valley) is only about 25 minutes drive time and a good amount of that is just to get to the 8 to get into USD. There are places in Linda Vista that can be rented as well - - may be a bit more expensive, but you could find a deal and be that much closer to campus.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,622 times
Thank you for your very helpful posts! I do have a car, so that isn't an issue. It's just going to be hard to find somewhere affordable with a big yard. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego