Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,879 times

Advertisements

I'm a nurse, and can make 50k-55k in Atlanta area, but around 70k in San Diego. Not much of a difference. I would have to go to L.A. or San Francisco to really push 90k a year; and work hard at that, probably in ER or ICU. The good thing is, California hospitals are highly unionized, and unions tend to pay their nurses more. Otherwise, I could work for an agency or do travel nursing. I have worked for the V.A. hospital before, and could go back into that system, they pay quite nicely, and well, you know government benefits just can't be beat. I guess it depends on what field you're in if the move is worth it and if the salary will be that much of an increase. Employers in San Diego seem to think the weather is part of your pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM

103 posts, read 297,833 times
I lived in San Diego/Orange County 1998-2002 and was a computer programmer, while
my wife was a dental assistant (now hygienist ) and we couldn't afford to get a house.
We rented an 2br/2ba apartment (2002 Laguna Beach) for $1400.
Long story short, we ended up moving back east and to the south where I actually brought home more money even though I was making about $10,000 less due to the high CA Taxes.

I've always loved San Diego, and if I was rich, I'd def move back there...unfortunately, my wife and I make mid-middle class money, and decided to move to Colorado instead.
(Luckily, our good friends still live in SD and we visit every other year )

Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
My fallacy moving here was thinking that there was a premium on salaries to be had in California. Not true. I interacted with a lot of head hunters, recruiters, and hr/office managers while getting settled and a few admitted that they were paying ~20%-25% less for equal positions than their east coast counter parts.

But it's still all relative. I know that San Diego salaries are better than the Ohio and Kentucky Valleys, more than 29 Palms and Borrego Springs for sure.

I'll say that the work environment here is a slower pace. Mgmt and employees are much more laid back and do not stress like east coasters do.

SD is no more expensive than any other large city. Is no more expansive than living anywhere between NYC and Richmond along the 95 corridor.

The sticks are the sticks, that's why its cheap and is why we call it poor'dunk. You're not going to get the same price per acreage or square footage in ANY city than you would in its surrounding burbs and/or rural america. It's hard for me to see how a comparison can be made between the two. You live in the county, of course it cheaper than any city.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:28 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
more than 29 Palms and Borrego Springs for sure.
Are you suggesting that there are jobs and salaries in Borrego Springs?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Are you suggesting that there are jobs and salaries in Borrego Springs?
Yawn.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 AM

140 posts, read 488,789 times
Salaries are actually not that high compared to the midwest.

We have lots of cheeseheads out here in San Diego, you will feel at home. I'm hearing that one of your fellow cheesehead B. Favre is considering a stint at the Chargers for this year. Cost of living is just slightly higher than Racine, but you can save with some good Mac and Cheese. It is pretty good when you add some good Wisconsin cheddar.

Good Luck!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
"Sunshine Tax"

San Diego has consistently ranked around 30th-35th with regards to salaries among major cities (recall it is 5-6 largest city in America), yet in the top 5-7 for cost of living. People just get by with less in San Deigo and seem to be fine doing so. It's not a place to get rich, but it is a very desirable place to live and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego