Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:59 PM

48 posts, read 555,697 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Quick question....

In your opinion, what are the best and worst areas to live in San Diego? I'm trying to get a clear picture of where I should be looking for rentals. I would like to live in a clean, safe, newer area - but more importantly, I want to know what parts of San Diego to avoid. Here are some of the areas I see rentals listed in, but which I am not too familiar with:

Lemon Grove
Santee
Mira Mesa
Spring Valley

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 06:09 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExilefromCa View Post
Hi everyone,

Quick question....

In your opinion, what are the best and worst areas to live in San Diego? I'm trying to get a clear picture of where I should be looking for rentals. I would like to live in a clean, safe, newer area - but more importantly, I want to know what parts of San Diego to avoid. Here are some of the areas I see rentals listed in, but which I am not too familiar with:

Lemon Grove
Santee
Mira Mesa
Spring Valley

Any thoughts?
All of them have good and bad areas. Clean, safe, newer... pick any 2.

Mira Mesa is the newest, safest, and cleanest of the group. It's also the most dense, with the most traffic, and the highest volume of crime.
Santee is older than MM but all late 50's-mid 60's+, but safe and clean, least amount of crime of the areas you mentioned.
Lemon grove is even older, mostly 40's and 50's era construction, some safe and clean areas, some sketchy areas
Spring Valley is almost uniformly sketchy and unkept aside from it's fringes... Dictionary Hill and Casa De Oro are nice areas.

All the areas are not "high crime" areas aside from certain very specific places (i.e. MM Blvd, Broadway in LG, etc..)

Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 PM

48 posts, read 555,697 times
Thanks, Sassberto; you mentioned Mira Mesa in your other post, so it sounds like that might be the way to go. I'm looking at a property in Scripps Ranch right now; know anything about that particular area?

BTW, sorry about the "moving to Compton" post... I just couldn't resist

Old 03-19-2007, 07:38 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExilefromCa View Post
Thanks, Sassberto; you mentioned Mira Mesa in your other post, so it sounds like that might be the way to go. I'm looking at a property in Scripps Ranch right now; know anything about that particular area?

BTW, sorry about the "moving to Compton" post... I just couldn't resist
Scripps Ranch is your best bet...stay east of the 15 for sure. In my opinion Mira Mesa is a little "rough" .Santee has some newer than 50's and 60's homes......70's, 80's and brand new.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Jax

108 posts, read 638,998 times
If you're going to be working downtown, Coronado isn't bad for renting...forget buying there unless you're a millionaire, however.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:57 AM

110 posts, read 523,613 times
Scripps Ranch is better than Mira Mesa, but still central to lots of stuff.

My second vote would be Santee on your list. It's true that the main areas are older, but there's lots of new construction since highway 52 went through and lots of families too.

Rancho Bernardo may be a good choice too. Again, started out older, but lots of new construction in 4S Ranch that looks nice and has a good community feel to it.

Personally, I'd stay away from Mira Mesa; just never liked it. Crowded, and crime is an issue.

Tierrasanta is another area to consider; but Scripps Ranch is better.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:55 PM

11 posts, read 53,698 times
I agree with ORIONID's comment about staying away from Mira Mesa. I grew up in the neighborhood in the mid. '70's to late '80's and worked there for the last 6years. Mira Mesa was once a nice community, but now I wouldn't even feel safe leaving my car out on the street overnight. Mira Mesa is plagued with auto thefts, car prowls and residential burglaries. Meth is a real problem in the area which is partially responsible for the increase in property related crimes.

Rancho Bernardo is definitely better, but you will have to contend with traffic if you're commuting from the downtown area. Scripps Ranch is nice and is separated from Mira Mesa by I-15. Del Cerro is a nice area, but already established. Actually, the three communities I just mentioned are all established neighborhoods.

Tierrasanta is an established neighorhood and close to just about everything. The area is not immune from property crime, but you would be better off than living in Mira Mesa. Try staying north of Highway 94, except for Coronado. Although Mid-City is north of 94, I still wouldn't rent there.

The newer communities are springing up off of Highway 56, Ted Williams Parkway just west of I-15. You will probably find the rent to be much higher than the older communites in San Diego.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,133 times
I agree with the above posters on Tierrasanta. It's a great community. I visited there last year and I couldn't believe how green and well kept the area is since I moved out in 2002.

Mira Mesa isn't that bad, although it did have the highest gang crimes in San Diego. I've been there at night and it wasn't that bad, but that was a few years back.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 25,389 times
I would aviod SouthEast San Diego, City Heights, & National City.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCal7126 View Post
I would aviod SouthEast San Diego, City Heights, & National City.
There are 2 parts of NC that are really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego