Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many San Diegans Plan to move out of the area in the next year?
Move out of San Diego 10 20.83%
Move out of Southern California 5 10.42%
Move out of California? 36 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:48 AM

289 posts, read 1,271,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabaster12 View Post
Your answer, "Everywhere!"
  1. What city doesn't have bike trails so please don't act like San Diego is the only city with bike trails.
  2. Perfect weather please. The Weather here is off and on. The winters are extremely cold, which I find strange, and the summers are blazing hot. The only time when the weather is normal is when it is in the spring and one or two weeks after a big rain Strom.
  3. Plenty of parks can also be found anywhere just look at New York.
  4. This is not Broadway and there is are hardly symphonies and live theater her.
  5. You might have to worry during winter time.
  6. to be contiued
I'm going to guess either you've never lived anywhere else and therefore don't know any better, OR you secretly LOVE San Diego and are just trying to scare away newcomers.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
I'm going to guess either you've never lived anywhere else and therefore don't know any better, OR you secretly LOVE San Diego and are just trying to scare away newcomers.
My thoughts as well. The weather one clinched it. It has to be the most assinine thing ever said on this board. I can't wait to find this magical land where in comparison San Diego is blazing hot in the summer and freeezing in the winter - - this utopia is where I'm moving next!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 AM

238 posts, read 555,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
As someone who intends to move from GA to SD (err, not South Dakota) but needs to figure out if the extra cost is worth it, I am avidly reading these types of posts. Having only recently become aware of this forum I don't have the history but when I find time I do go into the older threads.

And yes to the "litany" - that is indeed what it has become, about high housing prices. But this seems to be ALMOST the only negative that everyone can agree on - I mean, it's empirical evidence.

But what about the other negatives? Such as poorly run government, gang activity or simply unsavory characters (yes I know these exist everywhere), or anything else? Is there a consensus even among the most partisan fans of SD that there are issues other than cost of living?

I ask in all seriousness and not to ignite more debate, but rather bring these things out in the open to the point that I can say, "I did it with my eyes open". If I do it, that is...

Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
But what about the other negatives? Such as poorly run government, gang activity or simply unsavory characters (yes I know these exist everywhere), or anything else? Is there a consensus even among the most partisan fans of SD that there are issues other than cost of living?
We do have those problems, but many cities have these problems as well. I think all of the other negatives about SD aside from housing costs can be found in most major comparable metropolitan areas.

Our govt is somewhat corrupt and inefficient but so are a lot of other places. I don't think the level of corruption and incompetence here is one of the worst in the nation. Places like Miami, New Orleans, and Chicago have a much worse problem than SD imo.

Gang activity is a problem in SD but plenty of other cities are worse off than us and our low crime rate reflects that. I wouldn't worry about it at all really unless you plan to live in a bad area.

Unsavory characters....it's diverse and there are plenty of types I don't care for here but plenty of other normal, like minded people too. Not any worse than other places imo. If you're open minded and can accept all different types, then I don't see why anyone would have a problem here with the people.

We have most of the typical problems of a large metro area, they may be worse than some other areas of the country but not as bad as others too. Kind of in the middle or something, basically it could be worse but it could also be better imo.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 PM

238 posts, read 555,768 times
May I know more about the corrupt/inefficient government in SD? Of course I know what that means, but as you indicated it is a matter of degree. In Atlanta/GA, we are no strangers to this ourselves. With a governor whose actions seem to border on the criminal (can you say "sweetheart land deals" and "junket travel"?) and a city/county that is run by nepotism and seemingly so biased towards affirmative action the entire group seems to be incompetent, lazy or both, I am getting more and more fed up with this situation.

The governor, for example, continues to cut teacher pay (I'm not a teacher but I AM a parent) while spending millions to promote GA as a good place for fishing (this at a lake that is a shadow of its former self due to drought), all under the guise that it is "good for business". And a properly educated school population is somehow NOT good?

Last edited by whynot1986; 02-26-2009 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-26-2009, 05:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Some of the things that come to mind off the top of my head:

-The Southeast Development Corporation (SEDC) and Caroline Smith. Basically the head of this redevelopment agency in SD was giving her self huge bonuses. She got caught and just today they took back her severance.

-THE PENSION - a huge topic in SD and you can do a search and read all about it, its basically what the media used to call SD "Enron by the Sea". Basically the pension was being underfunded for years while council members were increasing their benefits. And now nothing will be done about it b/c 60% of voters in SD decided to vote out the one guy, former City Attorney Mike Aguirre, willing to tackle the issue and take on city hall and instead elected a do nothing judge to make the sure the good ole boys network remains firmly entrenched at City Hall. The new city attorney, Jan Goldsmith, has already stated he won't do crap about the pension and already backed off of a campaign promise to do something about the overly generous car allowances of city council members.

There's other small crap I can't really recall right now but hopefully some other posters can shed light on that. I've read about the corruption and graft that goes on in other large cities and SD doesn't seem to be too bad but its still not acceptable.

The one thing that I hate about this city are the ROADS are just so bad in many places. It's just a testament to how broke and cheap this city is. I don't think inefficiency is that much of a problem but people here are just cheap. SD's govt seems to be more inefficient than most large cities, at least in CA, probably a little better imo.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster5757 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but who is growing tired of the lack of jobs, reasonable rent and the lack of well kept rentals? Whats is going on with the sub-standard restaurants here?
Are you joking.

Number one, outside of the LA Metro (OC, Long Beach and Huntington), San Diego is the only other true beach metro. You have LA, SD and Miami. But in Miami you truely have to be bilingual to have a competitive advantage.

Bike Trails. Yeah, most major cities do have bike trails. But your common sense evades you. Who wants to ride a bike in ChiTown or Manhattan in the middle of January?

San Diego has the best, hands down weather in the country. And it's conducive to our activity level. We like to play outside year round.

We have the most parks, city, state and national, than any other city in the states.

And the ladies of San Diego are so fine. I love you! Thanks ladies, you're awesome! Speaking of fine ladies, bikini season starts in March. Who doesn't like bikinis? That's another reason we're one up.

There's no traffic here. Not like Manhattan, not like ATL or DC rush hour. I think natives say there's a traffic problem because: number 1 - ten years ago there were a lot less people here. Number 2 - they like to scare people away! It takes me about 15minutes to scoot home from Little Italy to OB, I'm cruising atleast speed limit. Maybe out east county there's more traffic... I really dont know what the huss is about.

Reasonable rent. I think that is truely subjective.

Sub-standard restraurants? Serious? Are you saying that Rei Do Gado Brazilian Steak House is sub-standard?

And someone said we don't like a different point view. Not true. It's like this. We don't like hate and negative energy. Its the way its said, not what's said. If it's an attack, we'll notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Every city and state in this country is reeling from the lousy Republican leadership we've had the previous 8 years. Ineffective policies or no policies domestically and abroad, nearly a TRILLION dollars wasted on a failed war. Cities are reeling from this absolute nonsense.
Alexus honey, here's my retort. Humor me and plz read: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post7646626

Old 02-26-2009, 07:17 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
May I know more about the corrupt/inefficient government in SD?
I wouldn't say corrupt, moreso inept / inefficient. I have a friend who works at city hall. He says that prior to current Jerry Sanders the city was primarily run by "east-coast" style cronyism.

"Enron by the Sea" was when City Council voted to increase the benefits of a known-to-be-underfunded pension system. The city basically now carries an untenable pension debt. Beyond that, San Diego runs a structural deficit and relies heavily on the state (as does much of California). The voting population consists primarily of tax-averse conservatives who have successfully resisted 2 attempts at minor tax increases for fire services, despite two major wildfire disasters in 5 years.

City of SD was off the bond market for several years and only has just returned. The city is showing the wear.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:57 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,161 times
There is one thing I have to say about San Diego.

Something that really used to bug me about the city was the competetive flashing of wealth everywhere. The people driving Hummers that they would never take off road. The way most people tried to have the absolute perfect haircut and outfit all the time. The fixation on money and status.

I do like a cosmopolitan city. But in San Diego it was going a little too far, to the point of total arrogance and blatent rudeness.

A long time ago I wrote some posts talking about how much that aspect of San Diego bothered me. I could tell it was unsustainable. It was like a bunch of pigs eating all they could before the food gets taken away. But instead of food, it was cars, houses, boats, etc.

But now, with the economic slowdown, i'm starting to see a change. It seems like San Diego is shifting back to being more laid back. The flashing of wealth, and the attitude that goes along with it is starting to mellow out a little. I sense that competetive energy slowing down.

So in this way, this economic crisis is having some good effect here.

The funny thing is. A lot of those people who used to drive Hummers and BMW's, and live in huge houses, were living way being their means. And now, their over-indulgent lifestyle has contributed to this worldwide financial crisis. Southern California is one of the biggest culprits in this thing.

I'm glad I just rode a cheap motorcycle and stayed in a tiny place while I lived n SD and didn't get sucked into the over-indulgence. I don't have very much debt at all

Hopefully we can all learn a lesson from this.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:06 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonk View Post
there is one thing i have to say about san diego.

That seems not true per below.

Something that really used to bug me about the city was the competetive flashing of wealth everywhere. The people driving hummers that they would never take off road. The way most people tried to have the absolute perfect haircut and outfit all the time. The fixation on money and status.

Don't like hummers in any city. All else is hardly sd-specific

i do like a cosmopolitan city. But in san diego it was going a little too far, to the point of total arrogance and blatent rudeness.

Makes no sense. If you're saying sd is arrogant and rude, again this is not happening more in sd than elsewhere

a long time ago i wrote some posts talking about how much that aspect of san diego bothered me. I could tell it was unsustainable. It was like a bunch of pigs eating all they could before the food gets taken away. But instead of food, it was cars, houses, boats, etc.

But now, with the economic slowdown, i'm starting to see a change. It seems like san diego is shifting back to being more laid back. The flashing of wealth, and the attitude that goes along with it is starting to mellow out a little. I sense that competetive energy slowing down.

So in this way, this economic crisis is having some good effect here.

The funny thing is. A lot of those people who used to drive hummers and bmw's, and live in huge houses, were living way being their means. And now, their over-indulgent lifestyle has contributed to this worldwide financial crisis. Southern california is one of the biggest culprits in this thing.

Please. How about Bush's role to say the least.

I'm glad i just rode a cheap motorcycle and stayed in a tiny place while i lived n sd and didn't get sucked into the over-indulgence. I don't have very much debt at all

makes no sense that you continue to stay on this site with your vitriol. Hope you found more of a nirvana and be careful on that deathcycle.

Hopefully we can all learn a lesson from this.

To each his own.

reply in red above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego