Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 02:14 AM

106 posts, read 283,971 times

Advertisements

I'm from Dallas, born and raised, a single white male in my 20s and am thinking of moving to San Diego for 6 months to a year, maybe longer if I like it, and I was wondering if there is anything I should know. What areas should I avoid, what areas should I look into, what is there to do, what the expenses are like, etc. I'm also unemployed (got laid off december and am on unemployment), how much does unemployment in california pay?

I'm a network engineer (computer related) but by a look at the job boards, san diego looks like it has 1/10th of the IT related jobs Dallas has (which surprised me).

I'd ideally like to get a decent apartment for ~800 dollars (which in Dallas you can get very nice 1 bedroom 850 sf for that much). I'd also like to know how easy is it to get around SD without a car? Being in Dallas of course I have a car, but I like to use public transit (trolleys, trains, I HATE buses).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 AM

134 posts, read 309,852 times
Dallas is the 4th largest metro area in the US - San Diego is the 17th. San Diego has a little more than half as many people as Dallas. But San Diego's economy is probably much less diversified than Dallas's. A huge portion of the San Diego economy is military and tourism. While I'm sure there are IT jobs related to these businesses, there are probably relatively few for tourism, and I'd imagine that the entry point to military IT is a bit different than for corporate IT jobs. The real corporate industries that are decently strong in San Diego are biotech and wireless. While these businesses certainly have IT needs, I'd guess they have less IT needs than more consumer focused businesses that process millions of transactions a day. What's more, San Diego and California's economy have I think been hit worse than Dallas by this recession. San Diego was a major bubble town, so the collapse of construction has hit it relatively hard. So with all of that in mind, it probably is true that there is 1/10 the demand for IT jobs than in Dallas.

In fact, just last week I literally saw someone standing on the heavily traveled corner across from my office wearing a sandwich board saying something like "IT professional for 26 years needs job", and then it went on to list his experience.

Finally, I don't know what you mean by decent, but I don't think $800 will buy you a nice 850 sf apartment in San Diego. You could probably get one for that price, but it would probably be in a worse location or in worse condition than what you'd get in Dallas. You'd have to spend at least $300 or $400 more for what I'd consider decent.

I don't know about unemployment insurance in California.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I believe you would still collect your unemployment insurance from Texas, that's where you worked.

It is literally impossible to get around SD without a car., especially at your age where you want to be mobile. Alot of people take trains, trolleys, etc. but almost all still have a vehicle. The train is primarily a commuter and trolleys only run in certain areas.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Why leave Dallas? The place seems pretty nice and decent.

$850 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment I don't think even exist in San Diego. Try more like $1200 and that's in a decent area. Everything is expensive out here, so before you decide to come out, make sure your bank account is full of money.

Our public transportation is decent for the most part, you can get around on the trolley which has many stops, but the trolley mostly runs through the urban sections of San Diego and some suburban communities as well. We do have the Coaster train which takes you from downtown SD up north to other coastal beach communities.

Basically stay away from the South Side or SouthEast San Diego which is pretty ghetto and dangerous at night in certain spots. East San Diego like City Heights is also rough, but doable if you don't get scared easily.

What kind of lifestyle are your looking for? Urban experience, beaches, suburbs, depending on what you want and what you can afford definitly matters out here.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 AM

30 posts, read 39,901 times
Add up all your living and household expenses and then add another 40 percent. That’s what its going to cost you to live here. You may be able to find an apartment for 800 a month but it will be in a neighborhood where people have to live with bars on their doors and windows and are afraid to go out at night.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 AM

129 posts, read 473,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0blue View Post
I'm from Dallas, born and raised, a single white male in my 20s and am thinking of moving to San Diego for 6 months to a year, maybe longer if I like it, and I was wondering if there is anything I should know. What areas should I avoid, what areas should I look into, what is there to do, what the expenses are like, etc. I'm also unemployed (got laid off december and am on unemployment), how much does unemployment in california pay?

I'm a network engineer (computer related) but by a look at the job boards, san diego looks like it has 1/10th of the IT related jobs Dallas has (which surprised me).

I'd ideally like to get a decent apartment for ~800 dollars (which in Dallas you can get very nice 1 bedroom 850 sf for that much). I'd also like to know how easy is it to get around SD without a car? Being in Dallas of course I have a car, but I like to use public transit (trolleys, trains, I HATE buses).
You NEED a car!

Forget about public transportation.

If you are a native Texan you may hate San Diego.

I knew a lot of native Texans that lived here and they hated San Diego because they liked the home town community feel and that everyone helped each other out.

San Diegans are not openly friendly and will not go out of their way to be friendly.

Once you get to know them though most are good people.

They are kind of an aloof bunch unlike Texans in a lot of ways.

Honestly, I think you need to find a good job in Texas my instinct tells me that you will be happier there.

Cost of living is not good here and your dollar doesn't go far here.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:13 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Keep in mind alot of Californians are moving to Texas because the COL is so much less.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:34 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0blue View Post

IT is pretty saturated and right now they're laying people off rather then hiring which is why you don't see many jobs posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego