Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

San Diego:

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:34 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,754,666 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because I really notice that the city, Cal Trans and it's people, overly care too much about San Diego's image. It's like we get so afraid when the grass turns brown, be it from the way our neighborhoods look, to our well manicured freeways. SD's freeways are very well taken care of, but go up to LA for the day, and you will notice a big difference in how F-ed up everything is. Why is that? Does San Diego get some sort of special treatment from the state? Because they want to make sure that when tourist come out here to visit, image and perfection of cleanliness matters more than god?

We always try to plant a tree to cover up a run down looking building, which is funny because I notice this a lot, been to El Cajon Blvd lately?There is always this need to beautify everything. I think San Diego is madly in love with itself which sounds strange, but it's so true. Personally it kinda annoys me, since I like a little grittyness, all those trees makes everything look so nice and perfect, it takes away that "street" vibe that I love. We don't even have the water to keep the vegetation looking so nice all the time. Imagine if we had our water use rationed upon us? Wow that will be the first! San Diego will turn brown and people will start to cry and throw a whiny fit Bunch of babys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM

18,972 posts, read 32,509,172 times
So you have a problem with people having pride in their city and wanting it to look nice? No city wants to look run downed, some just do. LA freeways look f-ed up b/c that county is more f-ed up than SD, notice instantly how the 5 changes for the worse once you cross the Orange County line into LA. Wanting the place you live to look nice is NOT a bad thing at all imo, better than having people and a govt that doesn't care and lets their city deteriorate.

Last edited by sav858; 03-18-2009 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,404,470 times
You should move to LA... it's plenty dumpy.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,825,216 times
so if you like grittyness, there are plenty of run down cities in America....try Cleveland.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM

489 posts, read 1,953,519 times
[quote=sdlife619;7944432]We always try to plant a tree to cover up a run down looking building, which is funny because I notice this a lot, been to El Cajon Blvd lately?There is always this need to beautify everything. quote]

Coming originally from a very "gritty" city (won't say which one), this is actually what I appreciated most about San Diego when I moved here. Visitors like seeing that as well.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:02 PM

387 posts, read 2,127,733 times
Odd thing to complain about...

Old 03-18-2009, 05:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,301,083 times
I'd say it doesn't care enough about itself. If people cared more we wouldn't have such a low ratio of police to citizens, we'd have actually have fire department coverage for the whole city (almost 200,000 people have moved to Mission Valley in the last 10 years but there isn't a single fire station), our schools wouldn't have 40-50 students per teacher, and a million other things. It's similarly hard to figure out why someone would get upset about a homeowner actually maintaining his property, isn't that a good thing?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:24 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,968,610 times
San Diego- the flaming narcissist.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,404,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'd say it doesn't care enough about itself. If people cared more we wouldn't have such a low ratio of police to citizens, we'd have actually have fire department coverage for the whole city (almost 200,000 people have moved to Mission Valley in the last 10 years but there isn't a single fire station), our schools wouldn't have 40-50 students per teacher, and a million other things. It's similarly hard to figure out why someone would get upset about a homeowner actually maintaining his property, isn't that a good thing?
I agree.

And I think the OP is a younger guy... no homeowner would ever complain about their neighbors keeping up their property. That's the talk of someone with nothing invested and nothing to lose.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:31 PM

18,972 posts, read 32,509,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Good point, I do kind of feel this way too. I really cannot stand a lot of the roads here among some of the other problems. I think some areas of SD are kind of dumpy and could be so much better but we're cheap and we don't want to pay for it. Our waterfront downtown is pretty pathetic, the wall along the boardwalk in Mission Beach is crumbling by the day, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego