Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM

181 posts, read 465,944 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys! Me again! My husband and I just got back from San Diego last sunday, everything went really well we loved it there! We also found a great apartment with everything we need in a good location for 1095 per month. We got back to MN on Sunday and when my husband went to work monday morning and told him about moving they offered him $19.50 per hour to stay. (He only makes $14.00 now...) He also always works 10 hours overtime weekly so there is always overtime. (He does sales as a wholesale oil marketor) Wow. that is alot of money to offer for him to stay, but we really loved San Diego and already have a couple thousand invested in an apartment and some suitcases there as well. My job right now is a photographer for the local hospital but I am able to transfer to the San Diego area with a $2.00 pay increase (I will only make about 12.00 + commission) that would be the only job we have coming out to san diego. I know the job market is bad (we have some money saved up) but will it be hard to find jobs that will give us similar income to here in MN???? I think we are both highly skilled and qualified but no college degree's. I had no luck with finding a job before the move because there are so many local candidates...

I am worried we will make the wrong choice and I really want everyones unbiased opinions. (all our friends dont want us to leave, but we do!) We love San Diego but lived in MN our whole lives (need a change!), we have no kids, and including our rent in San Diego our bare essential bills and rent comes to $1800 a month, plus food. If you have any suggestions or just comments please leave them, asap. We are set to move April 8th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 11:35 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
It's impossible for us to answer this. When you make a move like you are planning to make... you take on risk that you don't have when you stay where you are. You either have to stomach that risk and accept the consequences or choose not to take the risk. Good luck in whatever you choose.

I can say this .... I cancelled my scouting trip to another city I was interested in moving to and am delaying my decision at least a year, because of the bad economy and because of job uncertainty.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
How likely is it your husband will be able to duplicate or come close to duplicating his salary in Calif?/ I normally think everyone should consider everything before jumping into what could be the fire, but if you are sure Ca is right for you and have no kids it is less of a gamble...
Only you can make the decision..It is too late to say, you shuold have waited to rent the apartment, hind sight is always better than foreiste huh?

Nita

Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I really don't see how you can live here on $12 an hr/commission...it could be many months before you husband gets a job (if he even does). and itt's even tougher without degrees.

Every advisor on the planet is saying if you have a job, stay where you are. My advice, stay where you are. See if you can work with the apartment complex to get your money back...they might be willing to do that since it's only been a few days.

You can always revisit the idea in a year when we all have a better picture of what's in store.

Go figure, you say your base expenses are $1800, plus food which will be probably another $100 a week, so your monthly net has to be $2200...that's without emergencies, car expenses, etc. So gross that up, you will need to make around $53,000 a year to make it here.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I really don't see how you can live here on $12 an hr/commission...it could be many months before you husband gets a job (if he even does). and itt's even tougher without degrees.

Every advisor on the planet is saying if you have a job, stay where you are. My advice, stay where you are. See if you can work with the apartment complex to get your money back...they might be willing to do that since it's only been a few days.

You can always revisit the idea in a year when we all have a better picture of what's in store.

Go figure, you say your base expenses are $1800, plus food which will be probably another $100 a week, so your monthly net has to be $2200...that's without emergencies, car expenses, etc. So gross that up, you will need to make around $53,000 a year to make it here.
tried to send you kudos, but have to spread it around. Seems there are these couples and singles everywhere that have a picture of what life will be like when they get to Ca..Only problem, for many it just isn't going to be that way....

Old 03-19-2009, 03:48 PM

My husband and I have made atleast 53,000 for the last couple years. He does have a lot of experience within the oil trade, and I have a lot of experience in the outside sales/beauty industry as well (A company I worked for and still help out has locations across the country, and corp in CA.) Is it that extremely difficult to get a job there????

Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 PM

We also have a savings which allows us to pay 5-6 months rent, my job would only need to pay for food and our car expenses until we could both find better employment..

Old 03-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Oh well, I guess we will try it for a year and if it doesn't work we will just come back.... I'm sorry people, I guess I am just an optimist and I think things have a way of working out if you put your mind to it. If that means a mcjob until I can find something I am qualified for then so be it. You only live once and no one knows how long we have to take for granted...

Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubHaze View Post
Oh well, I guess we will try it for a year and if it doesn't work we will just come back.... I'm sorry people, I guess I am just an optimist and I think things have a way of working out if you put your mind to it. If that means a mcjob until I can find something I am qualified for then so be it. You only live once and no one knows how long we have to take for granted...
hey, you seem to have more going for you than 1/2 of the people on this forum that think Ca holds the secret to their success...!!!

Nita

Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Default Is it that extremely difficult to get a job there????

yes, it is. And you can't fall back on McD jobs because all restaurant jobs are dominated almost totally by hispanics. But you seem to have your mind made up, even though you seemed very excited about your husband's pay increase offer. I'm just trying to be very honest with you, since you posted and asked the questions you did.

Like you said, you can always move back. I don't know your ages...so that makes a difference in risk factor. But if you waited 6 mos to a year you might have a better experience and then be able to stay...I'm just sayin'. Patience is a virtue, my friend. But everybody wants what they want and they want it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego