Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:01 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,286,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegogolfer View Post
San Antonio is more affordable for sure but the heat in the summer will melt any former Californian.

You can not imagine how hot it can get.

Texans that lived in other parts of TX had a hard time too.
I suppose that would be the reason for the abundance of affordable housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 PM

129 posts, read 472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I suppose that would be the reason for the abundance of affordable housing?
I think that Texas has cheap housing but very high property taxes.

Believe me that heat is not to be believed.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,741,684 times
I found it strange when I saw farms in the middle of the city when I visited Charlotte NC. I guess it's the norm in certain cities across the nation to see farmland close to the urban area's.

San Diego doesn't embrace it's Mexican heritage all too well, it's lacking big time, and I always wondered why? I mean out of all the cities in country, you would think San Diego would have much more Hispanic influence on it's city, but sadly that's not the case. SD's culture is dominated by it's sufer beach culture, Sea World, Legoland, and all the other kiddy stuff that people think of when they hear someone talk about SD. Old Town doesn't count anymore, that place has changed for the worse, not to mention the new owners are trying to remove it's spanish heritage, and I personally feel sad for the hispanic workers in the Mexican shops and eaterys because they look like they work as slaves

If SD's hispanic population was more wealthy, then I believe the influence of the Mexican people wouldn't be looked so down upon. But everyone is stuck in the South Bay Everybody looks down on Mexicans here, and I'm tired of it. It's like we are the new race to be hated on, the illegal immigration problems is what started this fire of hate, and it's truly sad because one of the hardest working people are Mexicans. I don't think I have ever seen a poor Mexican homeless guy asking for a handout on the corner of any freeway exit.

It's like people in SD are afraid of it's Mexican history or something.
San Diego's Hispanic population is really low for a border city, which is odd since Mexico is right there next to us. Hispanics in SD are very segregated, they are basically non existent in North County, and barely seen in East County. I believe it is because of the cost of living is what is keeping minorities out of SD including Hispanics.

Anyways I hope to visit SA one day, or even Austin. I just don't want to live in a country town, I already have to deal with enough country ass people in East County.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,916,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I found it strange when I saw farms in the middle of the city when I visited Charlotte NC. I guess it's the norm in certain cities across the nation to see farmland close to the urban area's.

San Diego doesn't embrace it's Mexican heritage all too well, it's lacking big time, and I always wondered why? I mean out of all the cities in country, you would think San Diego would have much more Hispanic influence on it's city, but sadly that's not the case. SD's culture is dominated by it's sufer beach culture, Sea World, Legoland, and all the other kiddy stuff that people think of when they hear someone talk about SD. Old Town doesn't count anymore, that place has changed for the worse, not to mention the new owners are trying to remove it's spanish heritage, and I personally feel sad for the hispanic workers in the Mexican shops and eaterys because they look like they work as slaves

If SD's hispanic population was more wealthy, then I believe the influence of the Mexican people wouldn't be looked so down upon. But everyone is stuck in the South Bay Everybody looks down on Mexicans here, and I'm tired of it. It's like we are the new race to be hated on, the illegal immigration problems is what started this fire of hate, and it's truly sad because one of the hardest working people are Mexicans. I don't think I have ever seen a poor Mexican homeless guy asking for a handout on the corner of any freeway exit.

It's like people in SD are afraid of it's Mexican history or something.
San Diego's Hispanic population is really low for a border city, which is odd since Mexico is right there next to us. Hispanics in SD are very segregated, they are basically non existent in North County, and barely seen in East County. I believe it is because of the cost of living is what is keeping minorities out of SD including Hispanics.

Anyways I hope to visit SA one day, or even Austin. I just don't want to live in a country town, I already have to deal with enough country ass people in East County.

you might like san antonio to be sure. i've always thought that SD is comparable to SA geographically (hills). it has always seemed odd to me how SD doesn't really have a mexican feel when it so close to TJ. mexican anericans are so integrated over here that i forget that i'm of mexican heritage. we are just THAT commonplace over here. i think that in socal, one is constantly reminded b/c of all the illegals that have drained the state's budget and all of the problems that they bring.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM

434 posts, read 983,592 times
Well, how many Albertos (and its relatives) does SA have?

Delaware North is pulling (has pulled) out of Old Town, BTW. The U-T covered it a few weeks ago.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 18,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
last I checked the closest desert is about 200 miles west of SA.
Texas has some really nice desert areas. The drive from Dallas to El Paso (El Paso is in the desert) will kick your a$$..

Its hard to explain Texas, but a good illustration would be the park near my place. It's nice and flat and green with a few trees and is right UNDER a 6 lane highway over pass. When I say under I mean cars go over your head.

That's Texas folks.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,916,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
Well, how many Albertos (and its relatives) does SA have?

Delaware North is pulling (has pulled) out of Old Town, BTW. The U-T covered it a few weeks ago.
there are no "albertos" over here , which doesn't bother me in the least. they were too expensive for the quality of the food. we do have some good tex-mex food over here though. What is "Delaware North"?. What do you mean that "U_T" covered it?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 PM

125 posts, read 438,998 times
Check out the Alamo Heights section of San Antonio, my mom and I were just there last week and we could not stop saying "Wow, this is so similar to California"

There are a lot of 1950's-1970's ranch's that look exactly like ones in older parts of Los Angeles and So.Calif...

Here's an example http://lovelivinginah.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/000_3460ed.138154044_std.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 PM

125 posts, read 438,998 times
Also might I add, it is a dry heat so no humidity/wierd bugs.

The flora is very similar to So.Calif too which overall contributes to a very similar vibe.

Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM

137 posts, read 380,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportBorn View Post
Also might I add, it is a dry heat so no humidity/wierd bugs.

The flora is very similar to So.Calif too which overall contributes to a very similar vibe.

Good Luck!

Really? I lived in the Dallas area and visited Austin, which was awesome, but it was very humid, as is the Houston area. I'm surpirsed that San Antonio is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego