Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:25 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

[quote=NewportBorn;8019604]Also might I add, it is a dry heat so no humidity/wierd bugs.

The flora is very similar to So.Calif too which overall contributes to a very similar vibe.

It is NOT a dry heat. You might think that due to the severe drought that we are experiencing now. But the normal springtime and summer weather feels like a steam bath. it is the first thing that i used to notice when i came back to SA at the airport from Ca. The weird bugs will come out in the spring and summer as well. trust me on that one. some of the flora might overlap, but you won't find many of the colorful trees of socal like jacaranda, coral trees, las vegas style plams (i don;t know their species name) nor ocotillo, CA poppies. the main attraction of SA is the cheaper housing. but you will spend more on heating and air conditioning here in SA, no doubt about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlp View Post
Really? I lived in the Dallas area and visited Austin, which was awesome, but it was very humid, as is the Houston area. I'm surpirsed that San Antonio is not.
No San Antonio is very humid even more so then Austin. San Antonio is in the edge of a sub-tropical region. just north and west of it though the land gets dryer, but make no mistake SA gets hot and humid.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 PM

137 posts, read 384,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
No San Antonio is very humid even more so then Austin. San Antonio is in the edge of a sub-tropical region. just north and west of it though the land gets dryer, but make no mistake SA gets hot and humid.

I thought so. I remember when I went to Austin, how much more humid that was compared to Dallas. And once when I was visiting San Diego and got off the plane in Dallas, thought I would die from the humidity. That was July 09, by Sept 09, we had moved here (to San Diego). I couldn't take that humidity anymore.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Oh man, don't remind me of humid weather, the humidity alone is a killer . I know what you mean when you guys talk about the bugs, NC has all kinds of freakish creatures at night during the hot and humid months. Even frogs!

But hey, it will take some time to deal with the change of weather and bugs. I rather deal with crappy weather in SA, then struggling to survive in SD. I understand that education is key to acquiring a higher paying job, but even with the high pay, it's like it's never enough to live on in San Diego. The people that are doing well are the ones that already have there homes payed off, or are making over 100K a year. I know someone that makes around $60,000 a year by herself, but is struggling because she has 4 kids and cannot afford to pay her bills and mortgage every month. She was also actually thinking about moving to TX because of the lower cost of living. She would do very well making 60K in TX, but is having a difficult time making ends meet in SD. The trade off would be no beaches, bad weather, huge mutated bugs, and so on. I rarely ever visit our beaches, not a beachy type of guy, plus our waters are very stinky and polluted. Don't want to get sick, so I wouldn't miss it at all.

Can anybody post some more pics of San Antonio? I would really appreciate it

Old 03-24-2009, 02:12 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I found it strange when I saw farms in the middle of the city when I visited Charlotte NC. I guess it's the norm in certain cities across the nation to see farmland close to the urban area's.

San Diego doesn't embrace it's Mexican heritage all too well, it's lacking big time, and I always wondered why? I mean out of all the cities in country, you would think San Diego would have much more Hispanic influence on it's city, but sadly that's not the case. SD's culture is dominated by it's sufer beach culture, Sea World, Legoland, and all the other kiddy stuff that people think of when they hear someone talk about SD. Old Town doesn't count anymore, that place has changed for the worse, not to mention the new owners are trying to remove it's spanish heritage, and I personally feel sad for the hispanic workers in the Mexican shops and eaterys because they look like they work as slaves

If SD's hispanic population was more wealthy, then I believe the influence of the Mexican people wouldn't be looked so down upon. But everyone is stuck in the South Bay Everybody looks down on Mexicans here, and I'm tired of it. It's like we are the new race to be hated on, the illegal immigration problems is what started this fire of hate, and it's truly sad because one of the hardest working people are Mexicans. I don't think I have ever seen a poor Mexican homeless guy asking for a handout on the corner of any freeway exit.

It's like people in SD are afraid of it's Mexican history or something.
San Diego's Hispanic population is really low for a border city, which is odd since Mexico is right there next to us. Hispanics in SD are very segregated, they are basically non existent in North County, and barely seen in East County. I believe it is because of the cost of living is what is keeping minorities out of SD including Hispanics.

Anyways I hope to visit SA one day, or even Austin. I just don't want to live in a country town, I already have to deal with enough country ass people in East County.
You make some good points about San Diego's strange relationship to Mexico [esp since it was the first Spanish settlement in California 1769]. But up the coast in Los Angeles, Mexican-Americans have much more of a positive presence [ie mayor\ city council]. Because San Diego is a huge military city the number of non-Californians is quite high & with that there has been prejudice.

San Antonio is my favorite Texas city [Riverwalk + Latino culture] but keep in mind that prejudice is very high in Texas & you pay the price of living in a state that is heavily Republican [ie. no unions\ very poor worker protections\ poor regard for environmentalism\ conservative & highly religious

Old 03-24-2009, 03:01 AM

I realize the differences in the culture and the way of life in TX, but isn't SA more moderate politically? The huge Hispanic population, would balance out the politics, or am I wrong?

Dallas and Houston are way more racially diverse than San Diego, I hardly saw any white people when I went to Dallas, I mean they were around, but not like in San Diego.

Is it also true that Texans hate Californians because the way we are, attitude/materilistic problems in all?

I agree the military does influence SD's culture, it brings many outsiders, conservative, racially intolerant folks to San Diego. It seems like the majority of these military people wind up in East County parts of San Diego. I see a lot of Marine/Bush 04 stickers, on the back of peoples cars where I live.

I know this is wrong to say, but I hope Obama cuts military spending, and closes down Camp Penelton ( did I spell that right?) and other military bases in SD. It will help remove the conservative mindset, that the military brings into San Diego.

SD for some odd reason, has experienced a major influx of Mid-Westerners with money? Why is that? What attracts people specifically from the Mid-West to SD?

Does San Diego feel bigger, look bigger than SA, or is it the other way around? Are SA's freeways comparable to SD's? Or are they smaller in size? People on the SA forum complain heavily about traffic, but yet they have a smaller population than San Diego. We have 1 million more people living in SD county then in SA, but we really don't have major traffic problems like other big cities, I think it's because of the many interstates and local highways we have here.

Yes the lack of the Latino presence in local politics is lacking heavily in San Diego. I don't think I have ever seen any Hispanic running for mayor or any political seat in SD and it's County. Not even Asian or Blacks have had any political influence in San Diego, it's all been pretty much White. SD has a very White bread culture. Have you seen the County Board of Supervisors? (No offense, just being real now) It's a Bunch of old conservative White people that have been running the county for the last 20 or so years. Diane Jacobs, Ron Roberts, Bill Horn, and the others all have the privilege of not having term limits. So this means these guys are sitting comfortably in there nice warm office knowing they can never lose there job to somebody else. It simply isn't right, and the people of SD should vote to change this. These guys need term limits. I just can't believe that they don't have term limits in the first place, maybe some younger fresher faces would help change the political climate in SD County.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:59 AM

Well I checked out Google maps, and scope out many area's of SA through the satellite images, and was very surprised to find some great looking architecture in the downtown that gives San Diego a run for it's money. But there inner city neighborhoods don't look all too urban, if anything the majority of the city looks kinda country/rural with many run down suburban neighborhoods that lack sidewalks and street lights.

I didn't really find any decent looking neighborhoods while looking at the maps, maybe I was searching in the wrong spots. SA looks pretty boring, the terrain looks very bland.

San Diego's urban neighborhoods on the other hand has more of a real urban look and feel compared to the so called "urban" SA. Walking around SA would be miserable it sorta looks like lakeside in a way, and I'm surprised that they don't have a trolley or some sort of Light Rail system in place for public use

I didn't really see any rehabbing of homes or new development like you do in SD downtown. Even while scoping out fresh images of SD roughest neighborhoods, the poor people are rehabbing home after home after home it seems like. Many area's that were seriously run down in San Diego are slowly beginning to revitalize, just about every other home has new coat of paint with new windows in place. Why does this happen so fast? Nobody cared about home remodeling a few years ago, especially in poor parts of SD, why all of a sudden many old buildings and homes are being repaired and fixed up? This is not the case in SA where the majority of pics I saw, were pretty awful. Does the city force you to fix up your home or something, and how in hell are people able to afford to rehab there homes? For instance 47th st was very run down, now just about every home looks nice and pretty with new landscaping, almost making the area look more suburban.

Why can't cities like SA do the same thing? I guess it's the California lifestyle where looks matter more than life itself. Yes, that even means how nice your house looks. In TX it looks like it's the other way around.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegogolfer View Post
I think that Texas has cheap housing but very high property taxes.

Believe me that heat is not to be believed.
high property taxes but probably not all that much higher than San Diego and there is no state income tax, that is why property taxes are so high.

Climate, San Antonio is certainly very humid, but not nearly as humid as Houston or NC for that matter. The only part of Texas that isn't humid would be So West Texas as in El Paso...
Nita

Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Visted both, lived in neither. SA has the best riverwalk in the nation, hands down, nobody else comes close. SD WILL have the best bayfront in the nation once they add all the greenery that is slated to come with the Embarcadero revitilization. Mission Bay is up there too, one of the tops in the nation.

SD easily has SA beat on parks. SA doesn't have anything like Balboa, nothing like Mission Bay Park, nothing like Mission Trails, etc. Cerntainly nothing like the neighborhood parks in the newer SD neighborhood developments. SD is also immensely more dedicated to pedestrian and bike trails than SA, both inside parks and along major roads connecting neighborhoods.

There are tons of places in SD you could just plop a lawn chair down and sit there for an hour and actually have a great time just sitting there checking out the scenery. Not that many places in SA to do the same.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

I know this is wrong to say, but I hope Obama cuts military spending, and closes down Camp Penelton ( did I spell that right?) and other military bases in SD. It will help remove the conservative mindset, that the military brings into San Diego.
It will also help remove a TON of jobs and economic activity from this region. Gee, what a great idea in the middle of a recession!

Also if you have a problem living in an area with a lot of military presence then why are you thinking about San Antonio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego