Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Yeah, start over and pretend their someone their not! I wouldn't do anything for my community out here, because I feel my effort would be in vain. Because of the influx/outflux transient feel, there is a lack of that homey togetherness, that makes you want to help out.
Let's take a look around my block, starting with me. I have been in San Diego 12 years. Now on my third year in the house. Paul and Debbie next door have been there since about 1991, he was a career newspaper man for the UT, retired now. Next door on the other side, Jim is an architect who has lived in his house since the early 80's. Next to them, Julio and his wife have owned that house since the early 90's. Across the street, Richard is a longtime SDSDU professor who bought his house in the late 80's. Sometimes we go over there and sample his collection of rare and exotic tequilas. Ramona up the street bought her house brand new from the builder in 1954 and has lived there since. Nowadays she takes care of her little grandson. Mrs. Cole across the street died a few years back, her son rents the house to some SDSU students.

Down the block, Jim and Jim have owned their canyonside 2500 square foot ranch home since the early sixties, and now split most of their time between the 'hood and their cabin up in Idyllwild. Up the street, the Harris family just moved in a few years ago but have started a new tradition with a summertime block party. Paul up the block organized about 20 of us to help clean up old Mr. Johnson's yard. SDFD came out with chainsaws and helped us break up debris. Mr. Johnson is 95 and has lived in that house since the day it was built, just after WWII. He still drives himself to El Pollo Loco every day (it's his favorite).

How well do you know your neighbors? How well do you know your neighborhood? What have you done to help make things better? How many community council meetings have you attended? How much grafitti have you painted over? How many disabled, needy, or desperate people have you helped? What gives *you* the right to complain so much, when you can't even respect the people who actually put in the effort to make things better? If you can't say one nice about anything, it makes you appear bitter, angry, and unhappy. If that is the case, it is no wonder others are avoiding contact with you, as you get what you give in this life.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 03-21-2008 at 09:35 PM..

Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,577 times
Excellent points made above. Getting to know one's neighbors is just as possible here as anywhere else with time and effort, though I must say it is a little more challenging in a condo/apt. complex such as where I live (new next door neighbors about every six months), but I find most want to be friendly and get to know their neighbors if someone takes the time and makes an effort to talk to them.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:16 PM

202 posts, read 872,639 times
Default What gives me the right?

If that is the case, it is no wonder others are avoiding contact with you, as you get what you give in this life.[/quote]

First off, people like me, they don't avoid me, I avoid them. Like I said a million times, I have family and great friends here. I don't need anymore friends here, don't want a million friends, two or three good ones is plenty for me. I'm not sure where you got the idea that people were avoiding me.

I have mainly responded to people who ask for honest opinions and I have given my honest opinion about SD. I am glad that you have good friends in your neighborhood, thats cool. I'm even glad you like it here thats cool too. You cannot deny that there are many others that have said the same exact things I have. I am agreeing with them just like you agree with the people who love SD. I don't trash you for loving your city, why do you trash me for not liking SD. The way I see it is I am giving honest advice about my experiences.

I'm not sure why you care so much? Are you and SDsuburbanite realtors? Or are you just people who really love SD and enjoy sharing it with everyone? Either way, it's cool, I enjoy a little friendly debate, if anything I got you two thinking about it. If you were'nt interested in what I had to say, you wouldn't have read it.

Have a good night!..........You too, Sdsuburbanite....take care.....peace!

Last edited by Nick682; 03-21-2008 at 11:25 PM..

Old 03-22-2008, 03:18 AM

349 posts, read 1,544,806 times
I live in Eastlake and there is a very strong sense of community here. We have block parties, tree lightings, easter egg hunts, July 4th fireworks, outdoor movies, all in our community. Recently we sold gs cookies @ the local Vons and I can't tell you how many friendly, generous, smiling people in the community not only bought cookies from our troop but also donated money without being asked. We had more than a few donate $20. They also gave money to "Operation Thin Mint" to support the military troops overseas. Several thanked us for "having our girls' involved". I think it really depends on the community you live in. There are several nice communities like this in San Diego.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:21 AM

349 posts, read 1,544,806 times
amhrm: I lived in Hawaii and I know what you are talking about. They are too laid back for me there! San Diego seems fast paced in comparison.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 41,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Currie View Post
Hi San Diegans! Looking for some opinions of people living there ( or even not) about their city and the people.

So the deal is that I am feeling bored in Sacramento and maybe looking for a change in lifestyle, been looking around at other cities and interested in places like Denver, Austin, San Diego..? Florida?

I've grown up in Northern Ca (Vacaville, Sac, Lake Tahoe, Chico) and have seen the whole state. Visited SD plenty of times and have some family there. I generally like the area as far as being a beautiful city and weather goes.

I'd love to know what you think of the people in SD, the lifestyle and pace, the attitudes, etc.

I admit that I've always had bit of a negative stereotype of "Southern Californians" just seems things are a bit different then up here, but I'm tired of here too so.... But, I've always thought if I ever lived in So Cal, SD is the ONLY place I'd consider.

I can move to any decent size city I want as long as I have a customer base so I figure might as well move to a place I can love, not just settle with.

So the weather is not a question, neither is the city itself, I think the town is great with an awesome downtown and plenty going on. Not too big (about the biggest I'd consider) and not too small, love the gaslamp, harbour, downtown, etc.

I want to know about the people, since I am in sales and the general pop. is my customer pool

Are people really friendly (compared to where...)? Are people fake ( i hate that)? Is it super fast paced like most of California or is it truly laid back? Are people superficial, pretentious, angry, rushed etc.?

I guess this might explain best how I feel. Personally, I would never live in LA, to me it is a super over crowded, fake people, angry rushed people, road raging, smog filled, craphole Pretty much same goes for the Bay Area ( to a little lesser extent).

I just dont like the attitudes (superficial, fake, "hollywood", etc, etc) IN GENERAL of people in those areas. Obviously thats not everyone just a generality so no offense meant.

So anyway, I get real good vibes from everyone who talks about Austin and how friendly/down to earth everyone is and almost the same for Denver. Actually been leaning towards Denver just cause it's a little bigger with a real good looking downtown and a real change from my norm.

So that's my perspective, thanks for reading! I don't expect answers as long as my question I just wanted to give you guys a good idea of where I'm coming from! Really appreciate any help. Make it a great one!

Gratefully,

Tim

p.s. I'm 27, no kids.

P.P.S. I forgot, don't worry about real estate/cost of living, I am very aware of the differences! Thanks!
You should move out of state somewhere, i am from the bay area and moved down to san diego for college and ended up staying here, but i am moving to nashville in june to try somthing outside of california.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:30 PM

23 posts, read 153,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I've met people in Rancho Bernardo that have lived here their whole lives and still think OC is part of LA.
What? you mean it's not! (j/k...I grew up in Rancho Bernardo) Like anywhere there are idiots...but considering that the majority of the RB residents are senior citizens, I found it to be a place with a lot more culture (i.e. lots of support for the arts, classical music, plays, etc) than the rest of SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
like you, I often wonder why some of the people here seem clueless as to their own career direction and personal growth. I think because the weather is so nice, alot of people really never think of leaving San Deigo and know the job market here has boundaries,so the area in general takes on a really insular feeling - I call it complacency, others call it content (made me crazy).

I also feel that because there are so many people that grew up in places outside of San Diego (but have sent at least the last 10 years here), that San Diego also lacks a character of its own, outside of the very strong spainish flavor we inherit from Mexico to the south and LA to the north.
I think the "laziness" that you see in some of the natives comes from the surfer culture that basically says you only work as hard as you have to, so that you can spend your days surfing and chilling.

When you examine this though, I have to ask you, what's wrong with not putting money first? Why would you want to spend your whole life slaving away for the corporate world when it doesn't give you anything in the end? The best things in life have nothing to do with working 80 hours a week: friends, family, etc. And when you work so hard, you lose out on the important things in life.

Also, when you know you live in paradise, why would you want to go deal with snow? It's nice to visit places to broaden your horizons, but really I've found traveling has mostly just made me appreciate the place that I call home. (sure it has its problems, but I'd rather deal with traffic than 100% humidity, tornados, snow, ice, etc)

I considered moving to Texas to live someplace cheaper (and be closer to my dad) but after I examined all the things I'd be giving up, I'm staying in SD.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:48 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
I live in Eastlake and there is a very strong sense of community here. We have block parties, tree lightings, easter egg hunts, July 4th fireworks, outdoor movies, all in our community. Recently we sold gs cookies @ the local Vons and I can't tell you how many friendly, generous, smiling people in the community not only bought cookies from our troop but also donated money without being asked. We had more than a few donate $20. They also gave money to "Operation Thin Mint" to support the military troops overseas. Several thanked us for "having our girls' involved". I think it really depends on the community you live in. There are several nice communities like this in San Diego.
I too live in Eastlake and appreciate the sense of community here. If you look at the calandar in the newsletter, there are planned activities many days each month--everything from ski trips to "mad scientist camp" for kids (I'd like to try that myself!). I chose to live in Eastlake partly because of that sense of community. It reminded me of the neighborhood I grew up in.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 AM

317 posts, read 1,758,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverslc View Post
I agree with the fact you can’t generalize an attitude with such a diverse group. However if I had to, my general feeling would be complacency. In my experience many San Diegans are polite and friendly but after leaving and coming back I get a sense of arrogance due to the complacency. I always heard growing up "what beautiful weather we have", and aren’t we lucky to live in such a beautiful city". The weather anchors would make wise cracks about the horrible weather everyone else is having while we enjoyed mild conditions. In a nutshell I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the above statements but I cant help to think that over time that comments like that subconsciencely effect general attitudes toward ones self. I mean if you tell someone that they are good looking all the time, they began to loose that humility and began to expect that everyone perceives them as beautiful. As more people from places like the mid west come into Diego. That arrogance begins to grow. They flaunt the fact of their new residency. Some will argue what’s wrong with being proud of where you’re from. Well when that pride shrouds or demeans other people it doesn’t make for a balanced individual. I think its more a national attitude really. People are always looking to be the best. This obsession with Hollywood and high standard of living has gotten people generally selfish. You add that to a city that is known for its diverse economy beautiful weather and high cost of living you have what some consider a breeding ground of fake wanna- be’s who try so hard to impress others with their lifestyle.

Just an Opinion

i live in orange county right now, irvine to be exact, after having moved from nj last year, and the thoughts you posted above is EXACTLY how i feel about living here. i mean it is sooo beautiful, but the people and the attitudes are the pits. is san diego pretty similar? you seem to think so, what do other people think on this board?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,935 times
I am not a native, but I have lived around the county on and off for about 5 years total. This is what I found living here. If you are young and single, you will have fun because it is a giant playground. When I first moved here, I enjoyed it, until my son got to be school age. Then my priorities shifted dramatically. I began to think of finding a place where my family can have roots. I went back to South Western PA and bought a house. I get very annoyed at the attitude I receive from people around here, and my husband's family that grew up in LA. It seems that everywhere besides SoCal to them is totally unacceptable, and how could we ever want to leave??? People that have never left the state make a yucky face about Pittsburgh, yet never stepped foot near it. I got that so many times, it became annoying. I suppose I let it bother me and that is why it does. I know that many people love sunny unchanging weather, but I don't like the weather here, and I don't like that everyone tells me it's perfect. It is perfect for them, not me. I am a big wierdo I guess and I like change. I do like cold and I do like spring and fall. I don't like weather men telling me what is good and what is BAD, really BAD like every city besides San Diego. I personally, think weather that changes is fun. I like sled riding, and shoveling snow, seeing the spring flowers, the leaves turn bright yellow and orange and living on a half-acre of land. Now that I am back here for my husbands job, I find it more unbearable because I miss my house and my family in PA. I feel very closterphobic When SD Chargers played the Steelers in PGH, of course, all anyone could say was bad things about Pittsburgh because it is SOO cold and SD is the best blah blah.. most of the trash talking came from people who know nothing of the rest of the country. The people here are close- minded in the fact they do not see life outside their county line. I do not like stereotyping people but I have found that the boys are rude and immature, and very sissified, and will not even open a door for you if your arms are full. Their pants are so tight they cut off the blood flow to the brain. The girls here, I don't know what the heck is going on with them. People seem to be obsessed with "cool" and they live a very unrealistic lifestyle. I believe that if a natural disaster ever hit SD or SoCal that most people would seizure because they can't handle any hardship. Not that I would wish this on anyone. Besides the military, SoCal is full of the most unresourceful people I have met. But, enough with my judgement, nothing will ever happen to socal because it is way too cool for any of that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego