Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 10:33 AM

461 posts, read 920,580 times

Advertisements

As I'm sure most San Diego people know, the hotels fill up fast for Comic-Con. The people in my party coming all had to work the day of sign-up, and though we tried at lunch, we weren't able to get a reservation. Now I'm stuck on where to stay.

This is a link of all the hotels the company who runs Comic-Con has listed (which are full): Comic-Con 2009 :: Hotels Scroll down to see the list.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a place, not ridiculously far away from the convention center to stay that isn't on this list. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,963,980 times
Search for hotels/motels around the area on other travel sites. Some are close to the trolley lines, making it easy to get in. Otherwise, expect to drive in and park for $10-$20/day. It looked like SD put a cap on what the lots can charge last year ... a few years ago, some were at $25-30/day.

The further out you go, the cheaper it will be ... to a certain extent. For a few years, I stayed in Escondido for $60-70/night. Closer (ie. off Hotel Circle), and I was looking at $90-120/night. My gauge to gouging is tied to the Super 8 in National City ... last year, they were up to $180/night. This was checking in June.

Early reservations are still a must. 8 years ago when I stayed in San Marcos (I wasn't cleared to take time off until just the week prior), there were folks still coming in looking for a room that Friday, and all of San Diego county was booked up. Last year, North County rooms were booked up since May, and the closest available were up in Temecula.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:48 AM

4,531 posts, read 12,368,386 times
There is the Lafayette Hotel on El Cajon Boulevard. While there are some divey hotels on ECB I couldn't recommend, this one is decent. It would be very easy to hop onto the 15 bus and be downtown in 15 minutes, plus another 10 minute walk to the convention center.

I wish I could comment on the rates, but I have no knowledge about that. My guess is that since it's not on the beach, downtown, nor in Mission Valley along Hotel Circle Drive, they may have to be price competitive to stay in business.

And when you didn't want to hangout downtown in the Gaslamp, you could hangout in Hillcrest, or if it's daytime fairly quickly get to Balboa Park. Hmmm... maybe this hotel will prove pricey after all.

Barring this, search for other hotels not on the approved list, ask about them here, and someone should be able to comment on whether it's a good choice or not.

Not sure if this counts as advertising if I provide you with the link: Lafayette Hotel San Diego* Lafayette Hotel San Diego CA * Lafayette Hotel SD * LafayetteHotelSD.com

Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,963,980 times
Truth be told, when it comes to SDCC, a "good choice or not" isn't a key issue. Having any room is the key issue.

Otherwise, rent a minivan and pick up a sleeping bag. Barring that, a full size car. You don't want to get stuck with casa de Kia Rio ... you back will hurt after the first night.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:29 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,303,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
As I'm sure most San Diego people know, the hotels fill up fast for Comic-Con. The people in my party coming all had to work the day of sign-up, and though we tried at lunch, we weren't able to get a reservation. Now I'm stuck on where to stay.

This is a link of all the hotels the company who runs Comic-Con has listed (which are full): Comic-Con 2009 :: Hotels Scroll down to see the list.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a place, not ridiculously far away from the convention center to stay that isn't on this list. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
How much money are you willing to spend? If you're on a tight budget but still want to stay downtown then the youth hostel might be the best bet but if you have money to spend then there is everything up to and including $3000 per night hotels where the Hollywood types like to stay at. So tell us what your budget is and we can help you find one that fits your budget.

Last edited by Oerdin; 03-31-2009 at 12:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego