Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 AM

5 posts, read 9,499 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]My husband and I are considering moving to SD from New York city because of job relocation. Any advice on neighborhoods? We are in our mid-late twenties, no kids just dogs. We're looking for urban living. Like being able to walk to restaurants, supermarkets etc and also love the ocean. How do people feel about Hill Crest and Ocean Beach? Those are the only two neighborhoods I have heard of. Any and all advice would be great! thanks! [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Hillcrest is the gay neighborhood if that matters to you but it was rates one of the top 10 neighborhoods in the country by the American Planning Association, so its a good choice for urban living in SD.

Ocean Beach is also a good choice, but its very hippy, free spirit, and can be somewhat grungy a little.

Other urban areas that might interest you would be North Park, Kensington, Normal Heights, University Heights, Banker's Hill, Little Italy, Downtown area such as Gaslamp, Cortez Hill, East Village.

Downtown La Jolla could work too has it has most ameneities and some of the best beaches in SD.

Also just remeber that "urban" is a relative term and in San Diego some of those urban areas might be what New Yorkers would consider somewhat suburban.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,673 times
Yep very true, I knew a lady that worked at a 7 Eleven that was from the Bronx born and raised, and she thought Rolando and parts of College Ave was country looking to her. Which sounds ridiculous, but coming from a city that has nothing but high rises and massive skyscrapers, an extremely urban and dense city like NYC, will make almost every other city in America look pretty suburban by comparison. so called "urban" neighborhoods to us, are suburban to New Yorkers. The lady moved back to NY, because the pace of life was too slow for her out here.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,603 times
I lived in Stamford for two years and spent a lot of time in NYC. I love that city! I agree with the above, even downtown San Diego is going to be slow for you. But we're talking in terms of downtown Manhattan v. downtown San Diego. If you're a Greenwich Village or SoHo type person, then Kensington, Hillcrest and Gaslamp would be as comparable as we get. Ocean Beach is going to be completely different. Very laid back (think '60s vibe). A little higher crime rate too. Any of the beach areas are, until you get to La Jolla and north (they're much pricier too). If you want to be able to walk to things, then think about downtown, Kensington, Normal Heights, Hillcrest. Beach areas won't be so walk-friendly.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,499 times
Thanks guys! I am definitely into the laid back feel, I really want to be somewhere where people are not super superficial. I used to live in Miami and people in the area where i lived were all about name brands and fancy cars. NY has been good for me because there is such a diverse group of people here, everything evens out. So it sounds like people are leaning towards Hillcrest, Kensington, normal heights areas. How would you call say these rate in terms of Dog-friendliness? Lots of people with dogs? Dog parks? And are the beaches a close commute?
Thanks a lot everyone!!! Really appreciate any input!!!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,603 times
Dog friendly, yes. Balboa Park is close by. If you look on the images of San Diego thread, there are some beautiful pictures of Balboa Park. The biggest dog park in the city is there. Beaches are about a 10 minute drive. My husband and I drive over every Sunday morning, park our car, walk the Boardwalk from South Mission Bay Jetty to Crystal Pier, have breakfast and walk back to the car (5 miles). It's beautiful and you'll love it!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 PM

190 posts, read 704,892 times
Hillcrest and Ocean Beach are both extremely dog friendly. Many businesses, even non-pet boutiques, have water dishes for the dog walkers in both areas.

Hillcrest is an excellent location since it is walking distance from Nate's Point Dog Park, the busiest, and nicest dog park that isn't by the beach. It's right in the middle of Balboa Park. In terms of urbanity and city life, Hillcrest is the best except Downtown.

OB has not one, but two dog parks! Dog Beach by the water, and Dusty Rhodes Dog Park(which looks a little brown for some reason, probably because of the city turning the water off to save water). I would consider OB the number one spot for dogs in the whole county. Everyone seems to have a dog or two here. There is also a pretty strong anti-fancy here. The Starbucks that opened here is *still* greatly reviled by the locals.

BTW, the beach communities are actually walkable in Central SD(OB, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach). In terms of urban design, they are very similar to Hillcrest/Downtown/Kensington/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: