Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 AM

239 posts, read 720,755 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice between these two high schools, would you choose one over the other and why?

We are new to the area. Our soon to be high schooler is a quiet type rather than a social butterfly. She is also more academically inclined than sports oriented. We also have a soon to be Kindergartner that is the total opposite of her sister, but we will deal with that when the time comes!

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:45 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,290,066 times
You should check the thread with the local school rankings in them.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
You should check the thread with the local school rankings in them.
Thank you for the suggestion. I am looking for this thread but have not found it. I entered the search words schools ranking. Do you remember by any chance what the thread was titled? I would definitely like to read it!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Hmm, I looked too and also couldn't find it. I know it is there but I must be using the wrong key words in the search. It is no matter because using Google I quickly located the state's school rankings for San Diego County. Remember the rankings are out of 10 points so a rank of 10 is the best and a rank of 1 is the worst.

California School Ratings - San Diego County

Old 04-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Scripps Ranch High is ranked 9 out of 10 while Mount Carmel is also ranked 9 out of 10. So both schools are in the 90th percentile in terms of academic achievement, conditions, and small class sizes. That is a very high rank though there are a couple of high schools with 10 out of 10 rankings out there.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Hmm, I looked too and also couldn't find it. I know it is there but I must be using the wrong key words in the search. It is no matter because using Google I quickly located the state's school rankings for San Diego County. Remember the rankings are out of 10 points so a rank of 10 is the best and a rank of 1 is the worst.

California School Ratings - San Diego County
Thank you so much. That is very helpful. I am having a look at the schools involved right now!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:11 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,130,919 times
In my opinion, both schools are very similar to each other in all aspects. But I don't have any first-hand experience with either.

If you can afford it, consider sending your daughter to Francis Parker, it is 1500/month, but it's head and shoulders above both of these in terms of academic rigor, teacher qualifications, class sizes, and test scores. (Suffice to say that average SAT scores of Francis Parker graduates are in high 1800's and both Mt Carmel and Scripps are in low 1600's.)

Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
In my opinion, both schools are very similar to each other in all aspects. But I don't have any first-hand experience with either.

If you can afford it, consider sending your daughter to Francis Parker, it is 1500/month, but it's head and shoulders above both of these in terms of academic rigor, teacher qualifications, class sizes, and test scores. (Suffice to say that average SAT scores of Francis Parker graduates are in high 1800's and both Mt Carmel and Scripps are in low 1600's.)
Thank you for your suggestions. We are familiar with both the pros and cons of independent schools. Our children currently attend one where I teach too and where we all have been very happy.

I considered Francis Parker, and although it seems to be a very good school, we have decided to go public. Number 1, tuition when taking into account two children is out of our reach in California. Number 2, we are newcomers to the area and we feel that a neighborhood school will give our kids some local roots. Number 3, we are hoping that a public school will have students from a more varied income background of families than that of a private school.

Like I said, we have first hand experience with independent schools but we have decided to try public and see how it works out.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Default Does anybody know how to access curricular information

at either the Poway or the San Diego unified school district websites? I am trying to find out things like math course sequence and number of different tracks in Middle and High school and I am coming out empty. My daughter is in 7th grade right now and doing Algebra 1 with all As.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymabelen View Post
If you had a choice between these two high schools, would you choose one over the other and why?

We are new to the area. Our soon to be high schooler is a quiet type rather than a social butterfly. She is also more academically inclined than sports oriented. We also have a soon to be Kindergartner that is the total opposite of her sister, but we will deal with that when the time comes!

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Can you please tell me what school you sent your daughter to and how did it go? We are in the exact same situation.
thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego