Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
On the tourist thing, attracting tourism helps to pay for those family friendly amenities discussed earlier. Money for lifestyle enhancing amenities comes from one of two places- taxes on residents or taxes on visitors. The more tax revenue you get from visitors, the less you need from residents. So I tend not to hate on cities trying to boost tourism. Of course now it's nearly impossible to invest in attracting tourism because cities are low on money to invest in anything.
San Diego has repeatedly voted down increases to the TOT (Transient Occupancy Tax) which is basically the lowest among all of the major tourist cities. Meanwhile CA has the highest state income tax and sales tax in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 05:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
San Diego has repeatedly voted down increases to the TOT (Transient Occupancy Tax) which is basically the lowest among all of the major tourist cities. Meanwhile CA has the highest state income tax and sales tax in the country.
A true testament to how incredibly anti-tax this city is, San Diegan's voting against a tax they DO NOT even pay. The hotel industry was for the tax and they had to form a Tourism Marketing District to get around the cheap voters of this city.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 35,436 times
Another great pocket of San Diego is South Park, there's the Einstein academy on 30th where it turns into fern and it's really amazing. You've also got lots of great parks for kids AND dog friendly parks.

And of course, our weather is AMAZING. Though I'm cranky that there's a cold wind right now. LOL. I know. I'm spoiled, it's really sunny but chilly wind!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 PM

30 posts, read 221,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesoup View Post
We lived in Portland for 8 years and loved it, moved to Seattle last year and it's not for us. The weather is a killer for us and we are considering a move to San Diego as a family with small children. Has anyone spent enough time in Portland & San Diego to offer any advice. Again, Portland was an awesome and easy going place to live minus the weather. If San Diego has any areas that may appeal to us please pass on the information. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Looking for a safe, family friendly community that is as walking friendly as possible, oh and as close to the beach as possible. I think we don't want to spend more than 800K on a house, does that get us anything?
I have lived in both cities, with most of my life spent in Portland. I much prefer SD because of the weather and the proximity to the Bay and the Beach. At least in the areas where I lived in SD, which were close-in, I found it to be very laid back. There are so many things to do, with no worries about the weather ... and they are all close by.

Depending on where you choose to live, you may not get much of a yard for the kids ... but it really depends on the area. I can't say anything about the quality of schools ... or the safety/walkability factor of certain areas since it's been quite a while since I've lived there. I will say that there aren't really any areas in Portland where I would feel unsafe ... but there are areas in San Diego where I did (when I lived there).

I think the lifestyle for kids is much different there than in Portland ... at least in my experience. My boyfriend's nieces and nephews rarely spent any time indoors in San Diego ... while growing up and living in Portland, we spent a LOT of time indoors.

Overall, I think San Diego is a GREAT place to live ... and hope to move back someday!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:16 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
If you don't like the climate of Portland you will likely love it in San Diego. But after a while you might really start to miss seasons & things like rain. It rains so rarely in SoCal that when a storm doesn't reach us we all go crazy w/ joy. I love the climate in San Diego but summers can get very humid, so be prepared for that. Also, if you live a few miles inland you will likely need an AC [at least in the bedroom].

Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 PM

349 posts, read 1,545,070 times
My husband is from Portland and never wants to go back (to live). He says too many events such as games, picnics, parties have been ruined by the weather. That it's very depressing. He loves the lifestyle we have in San Diego, beaches, pools, kayaking, barbeques, surfing, boogie boarding, biking, hiking, snorkeling. The sunshine and warm weather make him happy.

We do love to go up to Portland for visits, and love it, especially in the summer.

San DIego is very family friendly. Go to the newer suburbs and developments. Safe and a great place to raise kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego