Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:38 AM

12 posts, read 25,445 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your input and support - it is much appreciated. Oerdin, I was simply putting out feelers to see if anyone in San Diego was also thinking about making a Denver change. I know tons of people love here in San Diego - more power to them! My hurdle is getting over being in San Diego for several years - I am older now and making the change to another state is not as easy as it was ten years ago. I sometimes wish I had chose Denver over San Diego in the first place - but the other ocean, warmer temps and the very many small growing businesses in this particular county lured me all the way over. I am not a beach person although it is nice to walk along on occasion, but I think the mountain and lake areas of Colorado has a charm of its own. Yeah, the weather is great in San Diego, but it gets old if you grew up with changeable weather and 4 seasons. What I miss is people I can connect with on more personal level. People are friendly here, but it is fleeting and lacks something for me. There is a lot of change in relationships whether friendships or of the more initimate kind. I know many are happily married or in long-term satisfying relationships and have plenty of friends here. I wish them well. I have formed friendships and had a couple of long-term relationships and even thought I would marry at one point. I realize people break-up everywhere for a multitude of reasons, but it is done here with more frequency. People also move a lot more with new jobs and relationships. I know that change is good and that the higher rate in jobs and in relationships here is part of what makes California what it is; but at this stage I am looking for a more stable place where I will feel at home for a very long time, if not, the rest of my life. That might be tall order with all the changes going on in our economy. Is Denver the place for me? Will I feel at home there after a year? I do not know yet. I know some will be tempted to tell me just go to Denver or to go back where I came from. I do not want to move back and I not ready to go to Denver yet. Maybe before the snow flies again in the fall. I was just wondering if others in San Diego felt similarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:12 AM

256 posts, read 736,106 times
This is my sentiment exactly. I do love San Diego. But, I have had the same experience as you.
I hope you find HOME!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,885 times
Default I can totally relate!!

Hi Nature Lover! As you, I am a San Diegan looking into Colorado...and like you...I am on my way back to college after years of being out of school. I am in my late 30's. The only difference between you and I is that I grew up in SD...and love it will all my heart. Right now I am on the East coast...thought I wanted to do school here...but after 7 months have decided that this coast is not for me. Although I miss the weather that my home town offers..I do not miss all the transplants that have come into the city within the last 20 years...no offense since you didn't grow up there....but I did...so my home has lost it's homey status with the inbreed of people coming from other places and changing the atmosphere. I am not sure if it is at all possible back in SD to find a true long lasting relationship...most people have too much fun playing the field of the plenty that there is too offer....not everyone...so don't get me wrong....but I spent enough of my life there to know. I have only been to Denver a few times, was a flight attendant a few years back and thought the city was great. People seem to be very outgoing, athletic and friendly....and from what I have heard...are not afraid to have relationships...they seem let's just say more family orientated...something that I feel is missing a lot in Cali. I know the weather won't be the same, but at 39 it isn't about the weather to me anymore...it's about making a life for myself and living within my means and liking the city at the same time. I was in Real Estate prior, and since that industry has suffered a tragic death I need to find someplace that I afford...and unfortunately SD is not that place anymore...at least for now. I would love to go back someday...but that isn't even a thought until I am done with school and that won't be for a few years. I am making the move come this August...right now just trying to focus on places to live, finding some part time work (I hope) and getting there in June to register for classes...the college is downtown. If you decide to make the move as well let me know...would love to help ya if I can...maybe even room with ya? Just a thought...i am on a student salary so a roommate is the only realistic thing for me now. Starting over is hard now matter where it is that you are going...I am feeling that pain now and when I pick up again to head to Colorado I will be just as nervous as I was when I left SD in the first place for the east coast. If you can move and have no ties I say by all means do it! Life is too short! I survived Cancer as well as a job lose....and now I am starting again because I can....really there is no other reason. Good luck in your decision making process! keep me posted if you like.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:24 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I just read on the Forbes "best places" list that Denver is the most popular city in the US and in the top 10 as places where people are relocating (list March 2009). Even though these lists are always a little skewed (ok, sometimes alot skewed) I do find them interesting.

The top 10 were Raleigh, Austin, Charlotte, Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans (?), Atlanta and Denver. Texas having 4 top cities for relocation.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 PM

161 posts, read 573,792 times
If I had the chance and the means, I would move to Denver. In fact, I actually originally wanted to move to Denver and go to school at the University of Denver out of high school before I joined the Navy. I first visited Denver back in 2002 and immediately fell in love with the city. The city is VERY nice and clean. The Crime Rate in Denver is VERY low for a city it's size. There is SO much to do there outdoors. All of Colorado's major ski resorts are only a few hours away. There are four seasons there with mild winters (from what some locals told me when I took a tour of DU, Denver's winters are not as cold and snowy as people think they are), and tolerable summers (with dry heat; Denver has a very arrid, dry climate). In fact on the morning of my last day in Denver in April of '02, it was 25 degrees outside that morning and it really felt more like 40. Anyway, Denver's downtown is actually nicer and much bigger than San Diego's. Also, the view of the Rocky Mountains from the city on a clear-sunny day is pretty amazing! The only two things that gives San Diego a small edge over Denver in my book is a milder climate with more consistant weather and the Ocean. THAT'S IT.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I grew up and lived in the DC area all my life, and hated it. I didn't like working for the feds, nor did I like the heat, humidity, and most of all snow, sleet, and ice! I donated all my furniture, moved to Tucson in the winter. I got a job right away, and loved it, but there wasn't enough for me to do, so after 1 1/2 years, I moved to Sacramento. I stayed there nine years, and moved to San Diego. And I'm in San Diego to stay!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 PM

161 posts, read 573,792 times
However, what will keep me forever in SD is the atmosphere, the weather, and the Ocean. After becoming a Surfer, I have found that I don't have a desire to live anymore than 20 miles from the coast.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:25 AM

107 posts, read 338,408 times
Dont forget. Denver is high altitude too. Might not be the best place to grow old. But i hear its a nice place for a family. My good friends just moved there from SD. They are learning to drive in the snow. But they still hate to shovel their drive.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM

12 posts, read 25,445 times
Smile Thx for your Input!

The input I rec'd, particularly from those that could relate and stuck up for my viewpoint, is much appreciated. I know some others here feel similarly - many are leaving for a multiple of reasons. It is reaching that point of acknowledgment with one's self and making the decision to leave that I found difficult. I have not been on the forum in the past few months, although I have come further in my decision to leave. Denver really does appeal to me - and I am further along in getting over the thoughts of colder weather and snow. I actually miss the snow to some extent, particularly a night snowfall - it is so pretty. I like the feel of Englewood - some town feel not too far from Denver Metro and along Light Rail, although I just saw some photos of the northern Denver area taken by Tao with a Nikon D80 - absolutely beautiful - her b/w's of the city are almost surreal. She really is gifted - I would not be surprised at all to find her work picked up by city and state officials or anyone looking for great photography talent.

Back to the original thread....I would be interested in exchanging ideas and information with other SoCal residents who have also decided to make the transition to the greater Denver area. If you like San Diego/SoCal, more power to you. I want to hear from those that are ready or nearing a place of readiness to move on.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
well, to put my 2 cents in, I certainly would consider Denver to relocate. If you watch HGTV, they have alot of shows like House Hunters that show neighborhoods all over the US, gives me some idea of what these places are like and they showcase the Denver area quite a bit.

I know in the late 70's and 80's there was a thing about people moving between SD and Colorao...kind of back and forth. But that was awhile back. But everyone I have ever met from Denver has always been very friendly and alot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego