Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:47 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times

Advertisements

I think you find what you're looking for in life. If you're unhappy somewhere, you'll find people and things that make you unhappy and justify your feelings. Opposite for when you're happy and content. The OP is just seeing Coronado through crap-colored glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:27 PM

19 posts, read 82,760 times
Nothing !

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post
I' am a 24 year-old service member (Navy) who has been living in San Diego for five years now. I love it out here in San Diego (the laid-back atmosphere, overall friendlieness, great weather, dating scene, and recreational opportunities) and I plan to stay the rest of my life. However, there are some places that I can't stand or don't care to visit, such as Del Mar, and Mission Beach. However, at the top of that short list is Coronado. I' am currently living on the seal base (NAB) and I have no car, so my only options when money is tight and I can't take the bus into the city (which I hope I won't have to do much longer if I can get a place in city soon) is to either stay on base (which is pretty boring) or go into Coronado. I almost always choose to do the former. Why? Because Coronado is a rediculously overrated pretentious tourist hell hole. Everyone here (especially the young women) is so stuck-up and fake that it feels like I' am living on the coast in the OC (i.e. Laguna or Newport). The tourists (usually from other rich areas) are just as bad. You will be lucky if anyone says hi to you. Coronado lacks the diversity that San Diego has (EVERY SINGLE PERSON that lives out here is WHITE, also just like coastal OC), and 99 percent of tourist are white. Although I' am white myself (I'am as white as you can get: Irish w/ red hair), I like being around and making friends with people of multiple cultures. Also, the restaurants, shops, and hotels are ALL overpriced and overrated. The Hotel Del Coronado alone is over $200 a night with crappy ammenities and customer service. The private villas on the beach are even worse; very small and AT LEAST $2000 per night. Also, the beach is overrated and always trashy (I know because I run on it almost every day), and the water is contaminated by sewage spills from TJ at least 2 weeks out of each month. Also, some people (probably rich white people) will say stuff like that Coronado has the best schools in So Cal, which is a big load of crap; I saw La Jolla High and La Costa on the lists of great area schools over the years, but not Coronado, NOT ONCE. They also say that the beach here is the nicest in So Cal and one of the nicest in the world, which is also a load of crap, since the most beautiful and pristine beaches listed for So Cal and only ones here ranked among the best in the world are in Santa Barbara (City and County). Also, Coronado IS NOT a great place to take a girlfriend, unless your rich, and she is materialistic (a.k.a. a gold digger). Also, the traffic and parking is horible. Personally, I think that anyone that is willing to waste their money and time in Coronado is a moron (rich or not). There is MUCH more to do and see across the bay in San Diego than there ever could be in Coronado. For starters, you can actually get a great view of the coast and the city in some places (i.e. La Jolla), however Coronado is completely flat. Downtown San Diego by itself has everything that anyone could ever want in a city. San Diego is where all of the action is, and I can't wait until the day that I finally leave this small, un-diverse, pretentious, and boring cesspool of spoiled brats and phonies. By the way, I say all of these negative things because they are true; I have the unfortunate experience of living out here on this island for almost all of my 5 years in the Navy to back it up.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:29 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
I'm sorry, you are upset b/c Coronado doesn't have a good single ladies single scene? That's like hating Rancho Santa Fe for the same reason. I like Palm Springs as a place to relax and play golf, but if I were looking for some great hip hop club I'd probably be disappointed. Likewise you can't expect to go to Park City Utah for the surfing.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times
YSD, you seem to fixated on the idea that all the hot woman are thinking "why isn't he looking at me?" Somehow I don't think they are as in to you as you are.

We all like different things. Being married and a little more mature, I'm pretty sure that I would not want to live in the area that 24 year old squids find interesting.

I'm white, have an MD wife a dog and I work in Financial IT.
I exercize after work and love rollerblading and sailing. If not going out, I'm usually home before 8:00 where I work on the house or design landscaping. My idea of fun on the weekend is beach volleyball and taking a sailboat out. I rarely drink and gave up strip clubs and the clubbing scene after getting married.

I bet my life sounds like Hell to you. Heck, it did to me when I was your age.
Your hell may be my paradise.

So what I'm getting from your rant, is that Coronado is not YOUR kind of place. And that's cool

Old 04-24-2009, 12:41 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
It seems to me that Coronado appears on the decline a bit. I remember it being quite lush & now some trees\ yards need water badly. Love the Del but was very disappointed with Sunday brunch there last summer & surprised by that at a classy hotel.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
YSD, you seem to fixated on the idea that all the hot woman are thinking "why isn't he looking at me?" Somehow I don't think they are as in to you as you are.

We all like different things. Being married and a little more mature, I'm pretty sure that I would not want to live in the area that 24 year old squids find interesting.

I'm white, have an MD wife a dog and I work in Financial IT.
I exercize after work and love rollerblading and sailing. If not going out, I'm usually home before 8:00 where I work on the house or design landscaping. My idea of fun on the weekend is beach volleyball and taking a sailboat out. I rarely drink and gave up strip clubs and the clubbing scene after getting married.

I bet my life sounds like Hell to you. Heck, it did to me when I was your age.
Your hell may be my paradise.

So what I'm getting from your rant, is that Coronado is not YOUR kind of place. And that's cool

Did you call your MD wife a dog?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:27 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Did you call your MD wife a dog?

LOL
literally,
which is really embarrassing because people are staring

Old 09-26-2009, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,486 times
Coronado is a beautiful place...i dont get how you can not see that.
As far as the girls being stuck up...maybe you shoud check your attitude, might have something to do with the rejection..

Old 09-27-2009, 03:28 PM

70 posts, read 206,826 times
Hmm this post is interesting to me, as I see both sides. Coronado has long been a place that I have visited. My Aunts and Uncles and cousins lived there for decades (some still do). I loved it as a kid. It definitely has a magical quality about it, particularly when visiting from somewhere without a beach or cute downtown. We stayed at the Del several times and I loved it. Was just there for breakfast about a month ago. Was shocked that breakfast for 3 was well over $100. The coffee was great, but not that great, LOL.

The thing that has perplexed me as an adult is why people that are from there NEVER go anywhere else. I understand that it is beautiful, but I can count on one hand, err... one finger... how many times my family visited us compared to how many times we visited them. There is a world outside of Coronado. I also don't understand the need to live there when many people who live there cannot afford it. I know people that buy homes in other areas to rent out, so they can rent on Coronado. Or I know people that end up renting for 30 years (seriously) just to live on Coronado. That is/will never be a facade that I would like to partake in. Seems phony to me. If you can't afford to live there, then live somewhere else. It's hard for me to wrap my head around declining a great job offer in another city, just to stay in Coronado. Maybe it's because we are more inclined to follow the money and move wherever the job takes us.

At any rate, I agree that it is a bit touristy. A bit too white. A bit too wealthy. However, it is a beautiful place and I've never had a problem with the beach. Love the sand there. I'm always nervous as hell to cross the bridge... but that's my own personal problem. LOL

I think a lot of people around the world would be pretty jeaous of you for living on Coronado for 5 years. Let alone bitching about it. Thanks for serving our country, but put yourself in someone else's shoes. I am guessing Coronado is not on many people's lists of "places I'd NEVER want to live".

Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,268 times
I wasn't really thrilled with Coronado too. It was flat, with limited beaches and way too touristy. For visitors who want to be sheltered with typical amenities, it's what they want. But the rest of SD is so vibrant and different! I wouldn't recommend Coronado, not when you have Carlsbad, La Jolla Shores, and Mission Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego