Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:48 PM

51 posts, read 143,065 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
My husband just accepted a job offer in Vista, CA and we will be relocating in the area in about 3 weeks.
By the end of the year we were thinking about buying a house. My job will be in San Diego (north side, Pacific Hwy) so we were thinking somewhere between Vista and San Diego.
We were looking at Poway, but I wanted to ask you guys if it's a safe area to live, as I was a bit concerned about some bad reviews of apartment complexes in Poway regarding safety issues.
We don't have any kids, so school district is not an issue, we just want a quiet, safe suburb neighborhood.
Thank you for any help you can give us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 03:58 PM

291 posts, read 958,040 times
Poway is a wonderful suburban area with lots of families (great schools). I'm not aware of any safety issues in the area. But be aware that a lot of people commute from San Diego to North County so traffic is going to be bad, specially doing rush hour. Even the commute from Vista to Poway is going to be bad, unless you don't work 9-5. I would recomend renting a place in Poway first to see how you handle the traffic and then making a decision about buying a house. Based on your work locations one of you will have to deal with some traffic situation.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM

80 posts, read 296,100 times
Poway is nice. I have relatives in Rancho Bernardo (basically next door), which is also nice. As is usually recommended, check sigalert.com during commuting times to get an idea of what traffic will be like.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 AM

Thank you for the valuable information!
I will check out the traffic situation and we'll go from there.
Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
i am enraged with jealousy! but also happy for you. good luck. i hope to make the same move one day. sooner than later.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,093 times
Hi there. There are nice neighborhoods all over between Vista/Poway/San Diego. That is sort of a triangle situation. You could also include like Mira Mesa, Clairemont, Kearny Mesa (all older neighborhoods and a little less expensive) if you're not interested in school districts. Most people move to Poway for the schools. Vista is about halfway between I-5 and I-15 (a little closer to I-5) on the 78. Poway is on the I-15. Pacific Highway is closer to I-5. So that is a large area to choose from. And a lot of nice neighborhoods.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i am enraged with jealousy! but also happy for you. good luck. i hope to make the same move one day. sooner than later.
I wish your dream will come true then!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Hi there. There are nice neighborhoods all over between Vista/Poway/San Diego. That is sort of a triangle situation. You could also include like Mira Mesa, Clairemont, Kearny Mesa (all older neighborhoods and a little less expensive) if you're not interested in school districts. Most people move to Poway for the schools. Vista is about halfway between I-5 and I-15 (a little closer to I-5) on the 78. Poway is on the I-15. Pacific Highway is closer to I-5. So that is a large area to choose from. And a lot of nice neighborhoods.
Thank you MsFancyPants! I do appreciate you listing some other options. We are going to check those out as well!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM

19 posts, read 82,760 times
Poway is nice, but that's a nasty commute NASTY !!! Plus Poway seems to hate new commers... FYI.. Not real friendly around those there parts... They like their town small....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose74 View Post
Hi everyone!
My husband just accepted a job offer in Vista, CA and we will be relocating in the area in about 3 weeks.
By the end of the year we were thinking about buying a house. My job will be in San Diego (north side, Pacific Hwy) so we were thinking somewhere between Vista and San Diego.
We were looking at Poway, but I wanted to ask you guys if it's a safe area to live, as I was a bit concerned about some bad reviews of apartment complexes in Poway regarding safety issues.
We don't have any kids, so school district is not an issue, we just want a quiet, safe suburb neighborhood.
Thank you for any help you can give us!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:55 PM

50 posts, read 145,895 times
If you move near Midland Rd & Poway Rd or Poway Rd & Pomerado Rd, you'll have a nice bus ride downtown on the 820. In the Carmel Mountain area there's the 860, and Rancho Bernardo and Sabre Springs has the 810.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego