Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM

20 posts, read 41,507 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our mid-20's trying to decide whether we should move to San Diego and would like some insight on the situation. We are newlyweds and have no children, but plan to start a family in 3-5 years. We have visted Southern California twice in the past year and are going back again later this year. We absolutely love it there and it is a definite change from the Midwest where we live now. Ideally, we would like to move there for 2-3 years just to experience something different for while. We have both lived in the Midwest all of our lives and have never lived far from our families.

We currently own a home here and are wondering if it would be reasonable to keep that home and rent an apartment in Southern California while we're there. We realize that it is much more expensive to live in California than it is in the Midwest. We both have decent incomes and plan to look for good jobs before moving there if we ever do. From what I've heard, housing is really the only major difference in cost of living from the Midwest to California. Is it reasonable to be able to get a 1-2 bedroom apartment in the San Diego area for $1,000/month or less? Also, what are the best places to look for jobs in Finance and Accounting (perhaps a bank or other financial firm) which would provide stability and good salary? Both of us have a Bachelor's degree in Finance & Accounting and a Master's degree in Business Administration.

Has anybody had a similar experience as this with moving from the Midwest to Southern California around the same age as we are after never really being away from home? We are concerned that moving there for a short time may not give us enough time to get truly settled there, but we would like to raise our family back here in the Midwest. Basically, we are just looking to do something exciting and different while we're still young and do not have any responsibilities and are looking for anyone who has had a similar experience to share that with us.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by beachbabie; 04-22-2009 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 PM

110 posts, read 294,005 times
I say do it. If it doesn't work out, move back. Make sure you have jobs lined up though. The job market is tight right now.

I'm not sure about the rent. 1K sounds like you'd be pushing it. If you went up to $1,500, I'm sure you could find something pretty decent in a good area. Yes, housing is expensive here.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:36 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,221,400 times
i would like to do the same thing, but im coming from the east coast. my wife and i are in our mid/late 20's , no kids. we've lived in NJ and Philly our whole lives...needless to say, we love san diego. but we dont have the master's degrees that you have. we both have bach degrees. im really not too concerned about finding a job. alot of people have trouble finding work because they wont settle for a job that isnt exactly what they want. ive been a scapper and midlevel worker forever, so i will do whatever it takes to pay the bills. i dont need a suit and tie job, exec position to be happy. however....wifey doesnt want to leave her family. so we're still here.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:02 PM

105 posts, read 337,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i would like to do the same thing, but im coming from the east coast. my wife and i are in our mid/late 20's , no kids. we've lived in NJ and Philly our whole lives...needless to say, we love san diego. but we dont have the master's degrees that you have. we both have bach degrees. im really not too concerned about finding a job. alot of people have trouble finding work because they wont settle for a job that isnt exactly what they want. ive been a scapper and midlevel worker forever, so i will do whatever it takes to pay the bills. i dont need a suit and tie job, exec position to be happy. however....wifey doesnt want to leave her family. so we're still here.
I hear you, but there are a TON of people out here who feel the same way. You should be able to find work if your persistant but you would need to be here already, esp considering the 'caliber' job you're applying for. You and your wife can find shared rooms pretty cheap on Craigslist and other sites. Some of them are temporary so if a month or so goes by and you don't have a job, you can go back..if that's an option. It would be an expensive round trip if it didn't work out, but the odds of finding work from the East Coast are very slim.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,288,445 times
Housing is the main reason for the increase in the cost of living as everything else is pretty much the same price. For $1500 a month you should be able to find a nice 2-3 bedroom place in a decent to good area though right on the coast the prices can easily double.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 PM

982 posts, read 1,093,392 times
I don't know about that. I own some rental properties and to find a 3 bdrm for $1500/mo in a decent neighborhood? Where?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:53 PM

20 posts, read 41,507 times
Can anyone help with my question about the jobs?
Also, what are the best places to look for jobs in Finance and Accounting (perhaps a bank or other financial firm) which would provide stability and good salary? Both of us have a Bachelor's degree in Finance & Accounting and a Master's degree in Business Administration.

Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbabie View Post
We are a couple in our mid-20's trying to decide whether we should move to San Diego and would like some insight on the situation. We are newlyweds and have no children, but plan to start a family in 3-5 years. We have visted Southern California twice in the past year and are going back again later this year. We absolutely love it there and it is a definite change from the Midwest where we live now. Ideally, we would like to move there for 2-3 years just to experience something different for while. We have both lived in the Midwest all of our lives and have never lived far from our families.

We currently own a home here and are wondering if it would be reasonable to keep that home and rent an apartment in Southern California while we're there. We realize that it is much more expensive to live in California than it is in the Midwest. We both have decent incomes and plan to look for good jobs before moving there if we ever do. From what I've heard, housing is really the only major difference in cost of living from the Midwest to California. Is it reasonable to be able to get a 1-2 bedroom apartment in the San Diego area for $1,000/month or less? Also, what are the best places to look for jobs in Finance and Accounting (perhaps a bank or other financial firm) which would provide stability and good salary? Both of us have a Bachelor's degree in Finance & Accounting and a Master's degree in Business Administration.

Has anybody had a similar experience as this with moving from the Midwest to Southern California around the same age as we are after never really being away from home? We are concerned that moving there for a short time may not give us enough time to get truly settled there, but we would like to raise our family back here in the Midwest. Basically, we are just looking to do something exciting and different while we're still young and do not have any responsibilities and are looking for anyone who has had a similar experience to share that with us.

Thanks for your help!
You should check out Florida. There are plenty of beautiful beaches there and just as much to do, with a MUCH cheaper cost of living. You could probably rent an entire house by the beach in Florida for what you have to pay for a decent apartment here in SD. Also, Florida has a decent, sizeable job market (especially in the Jacksonville and Miami-Dade metro areas). The only drawbacks to living down there would be the humidity, dealing with hurricanes, and dealing with all of the BUGS! Good Luck! It's not impossible to make it out here, but if you want to save more money for the future (i.e. when you have your children), then you should look at some other options.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:34 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,743,324 times
Not to sound mean, but what is up with all these people from the Midwest wanting to come specifically to SD so bad? I understand the weather has a lot to do with it, but seriously though. I mean hardly nobody from the South or even PNW are moving here, so I just find it strange that SD is attracting the majority of Midwesterner's more so than OC, LA and other So Cal cities.

SD housing is very expensive, so I would plan way far ahead in terms of your job situation before deciding on coming out here.

Many people that come to SD will find out that they will most likely be renting in an small apartment or condo, than a nice roomy house. Rents for homes are expensive no matter where you go in SD. You really don't get much for what you pay for in Southern California, we get taxed for every little thing, so the taxes just slowly eats away at your bank account. We actually have what's called a "Sunshine Tax" ( I know) because it's always sunny and the weather is great, we get taxed for it ain't that some bull****!

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 PM

54 posts, read 128,012 times
Default Picture this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Not to sound mean, but what is up with all these people from the Midwest wanting to come specifically to SD so bad? I understand the weather has a lot to do with it, but seriously though. I mean hardly nobody from the South or even PNW are moving here, so I just find it strange that SD is attracting the majority of Midwesterner's more so than OC, LA and other So Cal cities.

SD housing is very expensive, so I would plan way far ahead in terms of your job situation before deciding on coming out here.

Many people that come to SD will find out that they will most likely be renting in an small apartment or condo, than a nice roomy house. Rents for homes are expensive no matter where you go in SD. You really don't get much for what you pay for in Southern California, we get taxed for every little thing, so the taxes just slowly eats away at your bank account. We actually have what's called a "Sunshine Tax" ( I know) because it's always sunny and the weather is great, we get taxed for it ain't that some bull****!

Good luck!
Day after day after day of gray clouds, and angry, sad, frustrated people. It creates an atomosphere of depression and
well, despair. I guess what I am saying is, as far as your sunshine tax goes I'd really like the opportunity to pay for something that I believe could greatly increase my quality of life. Seriously the tax does seem a bit extreme but you have no idea how desperate we are to be free of harsh, cold, gray winters and excessively hot humid summers.

Thank you for the well wishes, I am still searching for that perfect location with great job opportunities, mild winters and breezy sunny summer weather with beautiful scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego