Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickykitty View Post
My husband and I have lived in North County SD for the last 3 years. Cities in North County include Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, Solana Beach, etc.).

The natural landscape here is beautiful here, and the people are generally friendly. However, they definitely skew white and conservative, especially those over 55; people under 55 tend to be a lot less conservative (and opinionated!).

As you are coming from Chicago, I think the biggest obstacle is going to be the lack of energy, ambition, and diversity. We are both from Los Angeles, and we miss those traits the most.

Most residents here are very content to surf more than they work, and, subsequently, almost all small businesses close super early (4:00 pm and 6:00 pm). No one is interested in starting a business, no one is motivated to learn or grow, and no one seems able to think outside the box (or outside the county; dreams are very small here).

I met a lady today who is a teacher. She has never been to Whole Foods (10 minutes from her house), and has no intention on going. I can't afford WF on a regular basis either, but I go there to check out what's cool and new and healthy and international. This woman is teaching children, and her mind is so closed to the world around her; kinda scary.

Our other experiences run the gamut. I've heard people say absolutely horrible things about illegals coming over the border, and then I have met people who provide blankets, clothes and food to immigrants who have yet to find housing and a job.

All in all, I think California is the blue state that everyone hates us for (we're liberals!), but some cities are very blue (LA, SF, etc.), some are in the middle (San Diego), and some are almost red (Riverside/San Bernardino County, etc.).

Best of luck, and write back and let us know how it's going!
Geez, generalize much? No one does this, no one does that, most everyone surfs. You've noticed all this in your 3 years here? Please. And by your rules, I'm practically a world traveller cuz i go to Trader Joe's AND Harvest Ranch Market. La di dah for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 PM

70 posts, read 249,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakazdog View Post
stay out of east county & north county - white cracker racists there, hatin on African_Americans & Mexicans .

stay out of south bay - T.M.K. (the mexican klan) hatin on African_Americans & Whites.

go to SouthEast SanDiego and you be good - its an African_American dominated area with accepting people.

Stay downtown like sassberto says. your safer there.

African _Americans aint too popular in SanDiego man !

I'm fixin to move back to Arizona.

BLACK ARIZONA DOG - OUT !!!!!!!!
Do you really think that San Diego/California are that hopeless? My husband and I are planning to move to California in September. Why are you moving back to Arizona and not someplace else in Cali?

I'm starting to get nervous that San Diego is going to be under-represented for us. My husband is black-American from Miami and I'm white, born-and-raised in NYC.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM

91 posts, read 417,035 times
Wait, I don't understand the generalizations about East County... I've been working in Spring Valley (Casa de Oro) since December, and in my workplace, I've seen lots of families where the kids are biracial/bicultural, I've seen Anglo teens hanging out with Hispanic teens, and I've met many African-American families who seem to be coexisting just fine with their Hispanic and Anglo neighbors. Isn't Spring Valley part of East County? Am I not seeing the legendary East County racial tension because I'm white?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 AM

176 posts, read 635,033 times
I think people mean the lakeside, santee, alpine area of east county. The parts of the county where people say things like "This town is getting too 'Black'" (Actual quote from one of my old neighbors)

There are idiots everywhere, but some parts of town are bound to have more than others.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
I think the Majority of East County mainly El Cajon, Santee, Lakeside, parts of La Mesa, have a lot of Redneck types, it's seems to grow by the dozens everyday. I'm not completely sure if all those people are racist, but some definitely look like they are.

All of East County is mainly White, look up the stats. I feel like some white people are getting upset and angry that more Hispanics are moving into El Cajon, as well as blacks, and other immigrants. Because East County has historically been mainly White for decades and now things are changing demographically, people are getting pissed. Not to mention EC can go from being sorta of urban to suburban to rural in a matter of minutes, people that reside in those rural areas tend to be country folks, that don't like change.

I'll give you one good example, me and my brother including his girlfriend went to the Cocoa's off East Main and Second St. My brother has some tats on his arms, but he doesn't look crazy or dangerous. Well while we all walked in to Cocoa's to grab a bite to eat, just about everyone sitting down eating looked at us like we were from another planet. As we were walking to our table, an old couple including another younger "Redneck" looking couple across from us kept staring hard at my brother. So my brother tells both couple, "WTF are you staring at!" After he spoke up, they finally turned there heads away and never looked at my brother again.

He's from Los Angeles BTW, and he never experienced that kind negative attention before, he felt like he was in small town or something. He even told me that East County is backwards and everyone is a bunch of hicks. Coming from LA, he knows the scene he breaths and reeks of LA, you can tell just by looking at him

I think SD county is very distinct (yet very segregated racially). One minute it feels like your in Texas (El Cajon, Santee, Lakeside), the next minute your in paradise (Beach area), and the next your in the hood ( SouthEast SD, South Side SD, National City, Barrio Logan). you have East County with a lot of conservative white people and Big lifted trucks matter more than life itself.You have North county where a ton of wealthy white people live as well as some poor Hispanics thrown in the mix.

South Bay mainly all Hispanic/Mexican and everybody else in between. South Bay really feels and looks like parts of LA which is cool.

And yes stay more in the City itself, or even South Bay were a lot of different types of people including some Blacks live now days would be a safe bet.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:44 AM

250 posts, read 911,082 times
hmm, Im a little surprised at some of these comments. I originally am from milwaukee area and know chicago very well. It is a segregated MESS in milwaukee with black people staying in one area, white people here, latinos in the south...blah blah. I moved to san diego and have lived there (recently moved again) but I was there for a total of 8 years. I lived in the south end (chula vista), I have lived in north county (poway area/carmel mtn ranch/rancho bernardo) and also oceanside/carlsbad area as well as pt loma area. I will tell you you will be accepted no questions. One our street in chula there mainly were filipino, latino and white families. On our street in north county area we had a black family, koren, flipino/white mixed family, whites and latinos on one small street in a very affluent area. Many of the black people I have met in san diego are attached to the military but you WILL find a much more accepting place here than what you might be used to in chicago. I have found races mesh better here, not sure why. I dont think you have to segregate yourself to one certain area of san diego either. We have had a mix of races no matter where we happen to love and never have had issue or seen any rude people anywhere in san diego county. I think you'll enjoy it, weather cannot be beat either, nice change from that midwest winter!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:20 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose View Post
Wait, I don't understand the generalizations about East County... I've been working in Spring Valley (Casa de Oro) since December, and in my workplace, I've seen lots of families where the kids are biracial/bicultural, I've seen Anglo teens hanging out with Hispanic teens, and I've met many African-American families who seem to be coexisting just fine with their Hispanic and Anglo neighbors. Isn't Spring Valley part of East County? Am I not seeing the legendary East County racial tension because I'm white?
Yeah, I think a lot of the comments on here are by people who live in the city and are generalizing about the other parts of the county. I live in Spring Valley - - I'm white, my neighbor to my left is black, my neighbors across the street are Asian and there are plenty of Hispanic families on my street. There are at least four or five mixed-race couples on my street alone. There are plenty of places away from downtown where you'll be fine.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:21 AM

107 posts, read 338,562 times
SD. is extremely diverse. We got it all here. Nobody will care about your mixed marriage. Even if hes from Pluto and your from Saturn. Trust me, this is California. Nobody cares. Our reputation is well deserved. Its the most liberal and tolerant state in the pack. Welcome.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Lerie View Post
I am an African American female and my husband is a German American male (alright, I am black and he is white, LOL ). We are considering moving to San Diego, CA. We currently reside in Chicago,IL. Is San Diego a good place for us, or would we have frequent negative encounters from people who have myopic views on interracial relationships. Is it true that the only thing that matters in San Diego, is the amount of money you have vs. the color of your skin? BTW, I am 27 he is 29 and we both have graduate degrees and work in the financial industry. Also, please be honest and don't sugar coat anything.

Thanks.
Okay,it's completely fine.
Plus,the 'east' areas people are talking about-santee,etc,are NOT places anyone would really want to live. I have numerous friends who are in biracial relationships,and they are spread throughout san diego county.

I think people's comments are not separating two very different aspects:
1)How 'common' are biracial couples vs.
2)What is the reaction to it from others.

Honestly,if noone bats an eye,and you are treated as any other couple,then does it really matter how many other people 'look like you'?

It's very normal in san diego is all I will say. And my husband is born and raised here,and I have lived here nearly 10 yrs. [We have alot of experience.]
You may be in neighborhoods that do not have many AA's,for example,but that is not the same as an area being racist. YOu may be a minority as a biracial couple,but you will not really stand out;b/c people are too busy surfing-lol-to care.

You have to decide what youa re comfortable with.
If,supposedly,the ideal future is that skin color won't be an issue,then I personally think SD is ahead of the game. Noone cares here,as said,it's more about economic lines. And even then,I have friends who run the gamut in terms of 'class'. Nothing is set in stone here.
You will hang out with people who have similar interests,who are here to enjoy life.
Okay,this post is old,but maybe people will be looking again,so just thought I would add my two cents.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-10-2010 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego