Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM

9 posts, read 36,644 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm a New Yorker moving to Hillcrest in a few months. I will be working up in Rancho Bernardo, and am leasing a car since SD has unreliable public transportation. Since I don't have much experience driving, living in NYC and all, I have a few questions:

1) Roughly how many miles are between Hillcrest and Rancho Bernardo?

2) The commute between Hillcrest and RB on the I-15 will be roughly 30 minutes, correct?

3) What place/website do you recommend for leasing a car?

4) What advice do you have regarding leasing?

The reason I'd like to lease rather than buy is because I don't have enough money to buy just yet.

Thanks for all your input. You've all been really helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 10:57 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamole_lover View Post
1) Roughly how many miles are between Hillcrest and Rancho Bernardo?
About 30 miles

Quote:
2) The commute between Hillcrest and RB on the I-15 will be roughly 30 minutes, correct?
30 minutes is best case. Plan on more like 45. On a bad day it might take you over an hour.

Quote:
3) What place/website do you recommend for leasing a car?
4) What advice do you have regarding leasing?
Don't lease a car. It's almost always a sucker's bet.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 PM

9 posts, read 36,644 times
Why is it a bad idea to lease? Thanks for all your replies

Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
We lease both of ours (2008 BMW 528xi and 2008 Nissan Maxima) and wouldn't do it any other way. We moved here from NJ in October and it seems no one leases around here (they were very confused at the DMV when we were registering leased cars), but that's all we've ever done and will continue to do with our next car. Hey, it's like getting a new car every couple of years. :-)

Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Why is it a bad idea to lease? Thanks for all your replies
Leasing only makes sense if you want a new car every 2-3 years. Otherwise you will end up paying way more in the long run. There are lots of fees and penalties that can bite you at the end of the deal too. The most economical way to own a car is to buy it, pay it off, drive it for the long term. There are other situations where leasing is better than buying (i.e. a company car) but they are few and far between.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
If you go over on the mileage - you will get screwed. Most leases allow 10k per year. Average mileage for the average person is 15k a year. If you can negotiate more mileage per year and are the kind of person who desires a new car every couple years, then it might be a viable option.

My issue is why do they call it a lease - if you have to pay for repairs and maintenance. If apartments were like that - no one would want to rent!

Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
On the other hand, leasing allows you to save money on sales tax, especially if it's a low-depreciation vehicle. When you buy a car in California, you have to pay sales tax on the full amount (even if you have something to trade in). When leasing, sales tax is only paid on the difference between the MSRP and the residual value. The difference can be considerable, $1000 or more for a luxury car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego