Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times

Advertisements

Go ahead and conserve so that they can continue to build without updating the water infrastructure. The Governor tried to warn us about the Bureaucrats running the water systems screwing us, but as usual no one listened.
While you are at it Vote for 1A thru 1F in the May 19, election because we do not pay enough taxes either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
I live in CV so when they send me a notice or a fine I'm not changing a thing.
Nice community attitude

Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Well have any of you driven to Eastlake? I see sprinklers going off everywhere in that part of town, no wonder everything is so green I hate this "You must conserve" while cities and other government agency's are doing the complete opposite WASTING! While driving on our freeways, I can't count how many times I've seen water just being wasted by Caltrans, sprinklers going off like there is no such thing as a drought, huh, wha, a drought??

Even local cities are wasting water like no tomorrow, I'm telling you, cities are unwilling to conserve, they are all such Hippocrates, and can't stand for a brown San Diego. It's unsightly and unacceptable in their eyes by San Diego standards Why? Because we are Saannn De Eggo" we have to look perfect all the time, we will do whatever it takes to achieve that status of perfection Pleasssseee

If it wasn't for all those damn sprinklers, SD would look like crap.

Yes I am trying to conserve water as much as I can, and that's why it pisses me off when I see so much runoff during the day and at night around where I live. People need to realize that it hardly ever rains in SoCal, and water is our most precious resource, once it's gone, it's gone for good. People take it for granted, I actually for one, are thankful everyday that I have water to use for personal use. Many countries around the world, would die to have what we have here in the US. I consider turning on a faucet for water, a luxury. Call your local city leaders and tell them to stop wasting water, tell them to shut off the watering system, and possibly water landscaped area's every other day, not everyday.

I don't see them cutting back It's not fair

Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
In my part of Eastlake - the plants are watered with recycled water, not potable water.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Well have any of you driven to Eastlake? I see sprinklers going off everywhere in that part of town, no wonder everything is so green I hate this "You must conserve" while cities and other government agency's are doing the complete opposite WASTING! While driving on our freeways, I can't count how many times I've seen water just being wasted by Caltrans, sprinklers going off like there is no such thing as a drought, huh, wha, a drought??

Even local cities are wasting water like no tomorrow, I'm telling you, cities are unwilling to conserve, they are all such Hippocrates, and can't stand for a brown San Diego. It's unsightly and unacceptable in their eyes by San Diego standards Why? Because we are Saannn De Eggo" we have to look perfect all the time, we will do whatever it takes to achieve that status of perfection Pleasssseee

If it wasn't for all those damn sprinklers, SD would look like crap.

Yes I am trying to conserve water as much as I can, and that's why it pisses me off when I see so much runoff during the day and at night around where I live. People need to realize that it hardly ever rains in SoCal, and water is our most precious resource, once it's gone, it's gone for good. People take it for granted, I actually for one, are thankful everyday that I have water to use for personal use. Many countries around the world, would die to have what we have here in the US. I consider turning on a faucet for water, a luxury. Call your local city leaders and tell them to stop wasting water, tell them to shut off the watering system, and possibly water landscaped area's every other day, not everyday.

I don't see them cutting back It's not fair
Oil is our most precious resource, once it's gone, it's gone. Water is a renewable resource. And there's an inexhaustible supply of water just off the coast

We could shut off watering systems and ban colorful clothing and live in gray concrete boxes like in the movie "Equilibrium". But that would not be the human way, would it? Our way is to colonize and to adapt our environments to make them pleasant to live. Green landscaping and trees are necessary parts of the process. Go drive through Rancho Santa Fe. Then take a walk through barren streets of downtown. All else equal, where would you rather live?

It is true that our city government could be more efficient. But all their outdoor landscaping (along freeways & such) is irrigated with reclaimed water anyway. There's a limited number of places where reclaimed water could go. Whatever is not spent on irrigation will be wasted.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:21 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post

What is the city's minimum daily usage requirement?
Initially, when the city was planning for a stage 2 water emergency, households that used less than 150 gallons of water per day would not be mandated to conserve any further. 150 gallons was considered a floor or irreducible minimum. I'm only using 60 gallons per day for household purposes (with a little bit of irrigation as part of that 60 gal), leaving me 90 gallons a day for irrigation now that the watering season has started. As I mentioned above, I reduced my backyard lawn by 40% this winter, so I believe I'll easily stay under the 150 gallon per day floor during the summer.

Now what does annoy me, is the requirement to only water on certain days. My timer has pre-set buttons for every 2, 3, or 5 days. Right now I'm at 5 days, and soon I'll move it up to every 3 days. But with the even/odd watering schedule I'll have to learn how to use the other part of the programmer. And instead of watering 10 times a month, I'll be watering 12 times a month. The city's mandate will actually cause me to use more water than I had intended.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 PM

Water here in SoCal is not really even ours, it comes from Colorado and Northern Cal. With the millions upon million of people living in So Cal, I'm very surprised that we haven't run out of water already.

I could understand if it rained all the time here, but it doesn't. With yearly droughts, it's getting worse. The more people SD inherits, the more resources are taken up. Yes Oil is a precious resource, but water is our most precious resource here in California because it doesn't rain as much, and we need water for everything from drinking, to vegetation use, to cleaning and business purposes, we can't live without it. Just like we need oil for transportation and other product use.

We don't necessary need oil as much as we need water though, with alternative fuel technology being developed, we can reduce our oil consumption in the future, as well as using different materials for products instead of just crude oil. Even though water is renewable, global warming is putting a hamper on that resource. Too many millions of people just abuse water locally and state wide. If only we can find a way to transport water here from flooded areas across the country, then it would really help our drought situation.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Water here in SoCal is not really even ours, it comes from Colorado and Northern Cal.
We pay for it, so it's ours. Kinda like your car is yours and your house is yours if you paid for it.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
The City of SD is making a decision today that could make outdoor watering a thing of the past.

I have read that we are going to be allowed to water 10 minutes, 3 days a week. This means the vast majority of landscaping in San Diego will die.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Oh no can't let SD turn brown! It will look bad for tourist that might consider moving here, have an affect on our precious property values, plus it would give the city a bad rap........oh no it's the end of the world in San Diego!!!!!Run!!!!! run as fast as you can (sarcasm)

Seriously though, I can't believe it's taken the city so long to enforce restrictions on it's residents to cut back on water use, now if only the County would do something to address the water crisis. Obviously the voluntary water cut back method has not worked, people are still watering excessively because I see it on a daily basis. From the local city landscaping, to apartment complexes, malls, business industrial parks, homes, are all watering daily and or at night 7 days a week. Even though we do have residents cutting back their water use( I congratulate them), we still have thousands more that don't care, and act like water will forever be in San Diego and will never run out, because after all "We Are Sannnn Dieeeegggoo" and everything is perfect here right?

I understand that the city does not want to enforce restrictions on it's citizens, because we have a certain "Image" to live up to, but if we don't cut back drastically now, the consequences will be even worse and more dire in the future, thus having a negative effect on the local businesses, which then can hurt our local economy and prevent us from recovering from this recession.

Last edited by sdlife619; 05-05-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego