Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 AM

27 posts, read 46,301 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am moving out to san diego in the middle of july this summer. im graduating from high school in june. i currently live in VA and im moving out with a friend of mine because his parents are in the military. im going to be attending school at a community college for 2 years then transfering.

i Just had a couple questions for what i must do when i arive.

My first question is what must i do to go about becoming a resident of california. ive heard so many diff things on what to do. i just want a straight up ansewer. and second. i will be driving my car out there from VA aaahh. and my car is going to stay under my fathers name. so i was wondering how i go about registering my car. or if not registering it legaly keeping it in CA.

thanks for any feed back and help in advanced.

greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 PM

another thing. i finally got ahold of Cali DMV after 20 min of waiting. but i did forget to ask one question. i found out i am aloud to keep my car there registered in VA. but sense my car is registered in VA does that mean i have to get my car's state inspection in VA or can i do that in CA along with emissions??

thanks!!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:24 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,237 times
I believe once your a resident in California, you have to register your car with the state within 10 days of being a resident, therefore having to have the car inspected by the state of CA and not VA

Not sure about the emissions thing, but I don't think it matters if you got your car smoged in VA, because once your in CA, the rules and regulations have completly changed. The state only cares about cars in this state, so just because it's been inspected by the state of VA, it wont matter, it has to be smoged here for anthing to get done, including registration.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 PM

yea that makes sense. but i forgot to mention that the car will be staying under my dads name cuz im attending school out there. and CA DMV said i could keep it registered in va. but i just forgot to ask her how i would go about getting a state inspection.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Check on the DMV website and see if there's a student waiver for inspections. If not, you'll have to call them again.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 PM

161 posts, read 573,814 times
Make sure that you bring A LOT of money with you. You are going to need it out here.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 AM

45 posts, read 194,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LODAaT View Post
yea that makes sense. but i forgot to mention that the car will be staying under my dads name cuz im attending school out there. and CA DMV said i could keep it registered in va. but i just forgot to ask her how i would go about getting a state inspection.
If I were you I'd call your local DMV in VA and explain to them your situation and see if you actually NEED to get it inspected to renew the registration. It's not the same type of inspection in CA as it is in many other states.

Here's a little info about residency:

How to Become a California Resident

In order to be classified as a resident of California you need to:
    • Reside in California for at least one year and one day prior to the start of the semester in which you anticipate enrolling; and
    • Establish clear intent that you are making California your home; and
    • Be a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident or hold a valid Visa which allows residency to be established.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 AM

yea. i Might just give both CA dmv and VA dmv a call. and see whats up and explane everything again.

but CA dmv did say to become a resident the first thing i should do within 10 days of getting there. go to dmv and apply for a CA drivers license. fill out the form and then take the written test.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:17 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
I don't know whether the California community colleges have a higher fee for non-residents. Be sure to check with the college you're planning to attend, to avoid getting an unpleasant surprise! When I came to California (in 1980) it took me a year to become a resident and qualify for in-state tuition at the Cal State universities.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 AM

ya the community college im going to attend. does in-state tuition by unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: