Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 PM

161 posts, read 574,045 times

Advertisements

If I do decide to stay in San Diego when I start going to school full-time, I would look at going either to SDSU or UCSD. My major will be business-related (i.e. accounting and or business management). I have heard almost non-stop about how one school is better than the other. I have heard a lot of people say that all of the "smart kids" attend UCSD, while everyone else goes to State. I have also heard that UCSD supposedly offers an overall better education. Anyway, I will go to the one that is best for my major, and has plenty of social clubs, extra-curricular activities. So if I do stay here in SD, which one would be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:17 AM

5,746 posts, read 4,706,142 times
Usd

Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 AM

129 posts, read 473,773 times
There have been very successful businessmen from both institutions after graduation.

Also failures from both.

Success is what you do with it.

Visit the campuses and talk with the students and maybe sit in on some classes.

Two different vibes for sure.

Have fun, but not too much.

Study hard, but not too much.

Most of all enjoy the experience.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:44 AM

17 posts, read 54,514 times
It doesn't matter which is a better education. Your ultimate education is up to you. If you're passionate about your major you will learn a lot, if you don't care, you'll skate by.

It matters which is better regarded. Employers will not look at your quality of education, they will look at your GPA and where you went. UCSD is the best regarded school in San Diego, hands down.

UCSD is also well regarded outside California, because the UC system is generally highly regarded. SDSU is largely unknown outside CA, and even outside SD. So a UCSD degree will transfer better if you ever want to go outside CA (and even outside SD).

Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post
If I do decide to stay in San Diego when I start going to school full-time, I would look at going either to SDSU or UCSD. My major will be business-related (i.e. accounting and or business management). I have heard almost non-stop about how one school is better than the other. I have heard a lot of people say that all of the "smart kids" attend UCSD, while everyone else goes to State. I have also heard that UCSD supposedly offers an overall better education. Anyway, I will go to the one that is best for my major, and has plenty of social clubs, extra-curricular activities. So if I do stay here in SD, which one would be better?
UCSD will offer you a better education probably or certainly it is rated as a better school, but this is not to put San Diego State down. Most schools will give you a good business management education. SDSU will be less expensive. I don't think saying all the smart kids go to UDSD and the rest go to San Diego State is quite fair, but it is much harder to get into UDSD, keep that in mind. I know you were thinking of Texas as well. Keep in mind the same thing: University of Texas is very hard to get accepted to, compared to some other Texas universities..

Nita

ps btw, both my husband and I went to SDSU as well as one of our daughters.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 AM

53 posts, read 243,789 times
I would enjoy the privilege of going to either University, but that's because my heart is set on staying in San Diego.

If you are absolutely intent on a certain area, a regional school is a fine, cheaper choice. Both places have their share of connections, to be sure.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:52 PM

493 posts, read 515,129 times
UCSD doesn't have a business major. The only schools in the UC system that do are Berkeley and Riverside (where I go). Also, I think Irvine just added a business major this year.

So this should make your choice MUCH easier. I have heard good things about SDSU's business program, and it's a nice, lively campus. Also look at USD (University of San Diego) if you're willing to consider a private university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego