Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 08:54 PM

22 posts, read 57,900 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the greater Denver area but was laid off from my job this past January. I’ve been looking and it seems like I may have to relocate in order to find work. I have a background in Project and Operations management (15+years) in a manufacturing environment (consumer products and defense related items). There are openings in the Denver area but they tend to be for tech firms (IT project management). I have a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and have a very strong skill set. My questions are:

• Are there manufacturing jobs in the area?
  • Salaries. I know you don’t have my resume, but what rates are common?
  • I’ve been thinking about positions with the Federal Gov, or working for a government contractor. Are there many of these types of positions? Does anyone have leads?

I am beginning to contact recruiter’s in the area and will get their take on the area as well. I would just like feedback from those in the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Not in this country.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Consumer products, there is nothing here. San Diego is a small city with no heavy industry. Our manufacturing sector is primarily focused around small-scale light industrial and high-tech. Most of that stuff is focused around either bio-med, or defense. More common is R&D work that gets built elsewhere. San Diego's job market is traditionally weak, but if you can adapt to the sectors that are here (and it seems like you might be able to), you should be able to find something, but I think overall, it will be very hard for you to find work in a manufacturing sector.

Once upon a time San Diego built missiles and rockets, but aside from military stuff large-scale manufacturing was never really done here, and whatever was here is now long gone. A lot of that work has gone to places like AZ, TX, and the southeast. Look at Cubic, Raytheon, Scimitar, Northrop-Grumman, etc... to start.

If you can obtain secret clearance you will have more options. There is a lot of defense-related work but most of it is software as you have noticed. You might have better options in the Los Angeles area, which was the traditional hub for aerospace engineering for a long time (although most of that work is gone too) and has a massive industrial base in comparison to San Diego. The Riverside-San Bernardino area is a center for shipping and logistics, that also is worth a look.

As for salaries you can expect to make no more than you would in Denver, and housing costs of 100-200% more. I have looked at Denver's job market and it appears to me to be stronger than to San Diego's in general with more diversity and more large private employers. San Diego's is primarily a tourist, resort & retirement city with the largest employers being the Federal Government (military) and the state of CA.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 05-10-2009 at 10:50 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 12:29 AM

There is some heavy manufacturing but it is all defense related. Aircraft, rockets & missile parts, or satellites. Oh, and of course ship building.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 19,660 times
Do you speak spanish? There is no mentionable manufacturing in San Diego. Most people still in manufacturing cross the border daily and work in Tijuana.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the input. No I don't speak Spanish but I should learn. As a Project Manager, it’s not necessary for me to actually be on the production floor – I make sure that the project stays on track meaning budget, scope, and time. So if the actual parts are made out of state/country that doesn’t mean there aren’t domestic jobs for me. Do you know of some of the defense contractors in the area?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
SAIC
GENERAL DYNAMICS NASSCO
NORTHROP GRUMMAN
GENERAL ATOMICS
GAE SYSTEMS
L-3 COMMUNICATIONS
DUBIC
VIASAT
REMEC DEFENSE
KRATOS DEFENSE
SGIS
ACCENTURE
INDUS TECHNOLOGY
ORI SERVICES
RQ CONSTRUCTION
COLSA CORP
DEFENSEWEB TECHNOLOGIES
STRATEGIC DATA SYSTEMS
QUASAR
SYZYGY TECHNOLOGIES
HARPER CONSTRUCTION
INFORMATION SYSTEMS LABORATORIES
TELE CONSULTANTS INC
HONDO ELECTRIC
INTERFACE DISPLAYS AND CONTROLS
BURNS & MCDONNELL ENGINEERING
SENTEK CONSULTING
I.E. PACIFIC INC
TECHNICAL LOGISTICS CORP
INDEPENDENT ENERGY SOLUTIONS
J5 SYSTEMS
SUN SOLAR

As of March 1, 2008

Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
GAE SYSTEMS
That'll be BAE SYSTEMS.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark SD View Post
Do you speak spanish? There is no mentionable manufacturing in San Diego. Most people still in manufacturing cross the border daily and work in Tijuana.
Yeah, there actually is a great deal of manufacturing 15 minutes from downtown in TJ. Toyota has a car factory, there are around a half dozen television factories, and more subsuppliers then you can shake a stick at. The go there for the lower wages, nonexistent environmental regulation, and lack of things like workers compensation & unemployment insurance.

A lot of those companies do have white collar operations here in San Diego. Things like engineering, accounting, supply management, upper management, etc...

Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the leads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego