Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:42 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to SD and I am definitely an outsider in the looks department. I find that the REAL california types are very cautious when talking to me. Most think that I am mexican so I understand where the OP is coming from.

I'd just like to add that I am moving to SD in part FOR the mexican culture. The city would definitely be lacking without it.

I am also amazed at how many people have never been to Mexico yet still have an opinion on it based on news reports. A lot of the scaring off has to do with economics. The US Govt doesn't want you to spend your vacation dollars in Mexico. They need it back home. Ever heard of the popular word STAYcation. That means dollars STAY here.

I won't lie though the situation with the cops is scary. You never know when they will roll up on you but if you are EDUCATED and savy enough you can get through it. I've only been searched once in years of going to Mexico. I wasn't happy but I was a bit tipsy so I guess I deserved it.

Our latin neighbors can teach us A LOT if we let them.

Que Viva Mexico !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 PM

46 posts, read 80,442 times
Quite honestly if I made into the USA after wanting to get there for so long the last place I would want to live is 20 minutes from the border.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroFresh View Post
Quite honestly if I made into the USA after wanting to get there for so long the last place I would want to live is 20 minutes from the border.
^ un-informed, ludicrous statement

Old 11-28-2013, 03:51 AM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I plan on moving to SD and I am definitely an outsider in the looks department. I find that the REAL california types are very cautious when talking to me. Most think that I am mexican so I understand where the OP is coming from.
You will be fine, San Diego is so diverse that it is hard to feel like an outsider here, especially in the work place. My office building has many Mexicans, Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, Whites, Blacks, people from Africa, different Europeans and Latin Americans, Indians and the list goes on and on. All working for different companies, Healthcare, Legal Firms, Technology, Real Estate, Financial and the list goes on and on as well. Everyone respects each other at the work place. Hell even the Border Patrol and CBP is a very culturally diverse bunch, I would guess 30 percent of them are Hispanics and about another 20 percent are Filipino. I remember feeling out of place once at a restaurant in Poway where everyone had blonde hair and blue eyes in the joint, but even then it was in my head, not like those people were out to get me or anything. I felt out of place in an elevator full of Mexicans (like myself) the other day because they were all wearing painters coveralls and I was wearing a slacks and a dress shirt, it just happens that we feel out of place sometimes.

The UT article is pretty accurate, but the OP reminds me of an old roommate of mine here in SD that blamed all his woes on the "evil white man". What he failed to realize was that people weren't discriminating based on his culture or color of skin, they were put off by the fact that he wore baggy jeans and baggy t-shirts, over priced sneakers, shaved head, and his ear rings, the guy dressed like a total thug and and conducted himself in a very immature manner and people were put off by this. I remember one time in Tijuana of all places, the bouncers would not let him into a club because of his shaved head. Now if this were in San Diego, right away he would have gone to the racist card but guess what, everyone in the club was Mexican.

My point is that if you act and dress with some self dignity, everyone will respect you and you will have nothing to worry about, especially if you speak English and are in the US legally. The only place I know if that has racial tensions is what was reported up in Escondido, but even then I have never encountered anything like this first hand in my 10 years here, not even out here in my beloved Lakeside where I am a minority.

Last edited by malcorub16; 11-28-2013 at 04:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego