Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 AM

16 posts, read 100,733 times

Advertisements

I will start working at UCSD in this summer and want to find an apartment in the UTC where is very close and convenient to UCSD. I will move to SD at the end of June, and am not sure whether I should get an apartment in May or I can start my apartment hunting when I am physically in SD at the end of June. Will the rent go up at the end of June?

As far as I know, most UCSD students have their summer vacation from mid-June, which means most of them them will vacate their apartments in the UTC and this will help lower the rental market demands. Will the rent go down in June? If not, what's your advice?

I have only been to SD once, which was during my interview trip. I love the city and the beaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 04:27 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
You can get great deals now. We live in the UTC area and it seems people are moving in and out on a daily basis. Did you have a particular complex in mind?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Hi MAK802: thanks for your reply. I would like to live where is close to UCSD shuttle/City bus stops (withink walking distance, like less than 10 min walk). I personally like the Venetian complex, Costa Verde, Pines of La Jolla, and La Regencia. I have found some renting info in the Venetian complex, but all is small 1-bedroom apartment/condo (~600 square feet). I am actually looking for a 2-bedroom or a 1-bedroom with loft apartment. My budget is small, around ~$1500/mon.

I was told by another friend that March would be a good time for getting promotion/specials, not sure whether this is true or not.

MAK802, do you have any recommendation about apartment complexes under my budget? thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 PM

Try Mirada, Las Flores, and Archstone. All are on Charmant Drive. If you look on Craigslist, you will find deals that you won't see on their websites. Just search for UTC and the apartment complex name and you should see results. All those I mentioned are walking distance (much less than 10 minutes) to the UCSD bus stop.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 PM

Now comes to the second part of my question: Will I get a better chance for a lower price if I wait for a couple of more weeks? I only want to rent in the UTC area.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:00 PM

387 posts, read 2,130,654 times
Unfortunately, it is hard to tell what the prices will be if you wait a little longer.

I just moved from La Regencia last August, so let me know if I can try to answer any questions when the time comes I do know La Regencia's prices were lower than many of the complexes in the area.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM

All I know is that we moved here in October, and the same apartment as ours is up to $400 less right now, so you can get great deals!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM

MiTaylor: how do you like La Regencia? They offer me a special price for a 1-bedroom apt on the building corner (3rd floor). But the apt faces north, which I dont like. I want to receive natural sunlight in the apt. The condos (1-bedroom) in Venetian are only 600 sf, which is small for 2 adults plus a baby, and my mom will probably come for a short visit.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Also check out reviews from people that actually live in the place you are considering. I know Yelp has reviews of some, as does this site, though they are a bit outdated. Here is a review for La Regencia:

La Regencia Apartment Ratings and Reviews - San Diego California Apartments

Old 05-19-2009, 06:39 PM

Actually, I have read through many many reviews of most apartment complexes in the UTC on yelp and apartmentratings.com. All all of the apartment complexes I read are crappy based on the reviews, however, Venetian may be the only one recommended highly by those reviewers.

I don't want to believe most reviews posted on yelp or apartmentratings.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: