Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Nice rental, biking distance to beach, safe, walkable area, working at home

Old 04-08-2007, 12:32 PM

25 posts, read 129,192 times

Advertisements

I've been posting in Texas because I'm most likely going to move there from Oregon this summer. But my dream has always been S. Cal or SLO, like many people here. So, I thought I'd at least investigate.

Okay....so I think I know what the response to this will be...but my rent limit at the moment is $1200 per month. Would I be able to find a nice rental (apartment or otherwise) in a NICE neighborhood within biking distance to beach? I'm not talking depressing basic "box" in a massive complex. But I'm thinking more along the lines of clean, quiet 2-bedroom in a neighborhood where I can walk my dog at night and feel safe, good elementary school, low crime. I don't need ocean view, but being able to get to beaches without driving is the goal. And....I work at home, so commuting is not a concern, thank god.

Would my choices be as limited as I'm guessing? How much more would I have to spend on rent to get what I want?

I was leaning towards SLO, but have found that I cannot get much for $1200...PLUS the pet deposits were sometimes as high as $1000!! (We have a small dog).

So...if $1200 is possible for what I'm looking for, what neighborhoods would offer this?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 12:50 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
if you consider a 1BR instead of a 2BR you should be ok on 1200.

But overall, you're probably looking at a modest apartment in a modest complex in a modest neighborhood.

We get a lot of posts in the SD forums of people looking for similar things. Great apartments in great areas cost money.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Example, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
if you consider a 1BR instead of a 2BR you should be ok on 1200.

But overall, you're probably looking at a modest apartment in a modest complex in a modest neighborhood.

We get a lot of posts in the SD forums of people looking for similar things. Great apartments in great areas cost money.

I've actually considered a 1-bedroom, but my child is 9 and we have a dog...and that could get crowded fast!!

So....for a 2-bedroom in one of the beach areas (not right on the beach, but within biking distance), could you offer a ballpark on rent? $1400? I realize I'm can look at craigslist, etc, but it is hard to know neighborhoods by limited pictures and descriptions.

Also...do you know if it is difficult to find pet-friendly places (small dog with his own references) in SD area??

Thank you again. I appreciate the insight!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:20 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantAnAdventure View Post
I've actually considered a 1-bedroom, but my child is 9 and we have a dog...and that could get crowded fast!!

So....for a 2-bedroom in one of the beach areas (not right on the beach, but within biking distance), could you offer a ballpark on rent? $1400? I realize I'm can look at craigslist, etc, but it is hard to know neighborhoods by limited pictures and descriptions.

Also...do you know if it is difficult to find pet-friendly places (small dog with his own references) in SD area??

Thank you again. I appreciate the insight!
I just did a quick check on Craigslist and it seems that a 1400 2BR near the beach will probably end up in places like Oceanside, Imperial Beach, possibly the Sports Arena / Ocean Beach area. Not great areas, not really the charming socal beach experience you are probably looking for.

Just to give you a point of reference - I live in a very urban neighborhood 15 miles from the beach. Most of the rental property around here is shabby and on busy streets. Studios are 800+, 1BR apartments are 1K+ and 2BR's are about 1200-1400+, with rental houses in the 1750-2000+ range. My sister in-law rents a 2BR in a semi-sketchy area a mile west of me and she is paying 1200. Prices just get higher and higher the closer you get to the beach.

Ocean Beach is generally the most affordable beach city but it is also the shabbiest. As a twentysomething it is a blast but as a grown man with a child I wouldn't touch it. I rented a crappy 2BR apartment in a crappy, noisy Ocean Beach complex in 1997-8 and it was 1200 then.. that was almost 10 years ago.

On your budget I would probaby look at the core urban neighborhoods like North Park and Normal Heights. Even there it will tight. I rented a nice house in North Park for 1450 in 2003, my understanding is that the same house rents for almost 2k now! The illegal studio above the garage was renting for 900.

You might get lucky but generally speaking there are few 'deals' to be had. If something is cheap, there's a reason.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Thank you, Sassberto, for looking up the additional info. Hmmm....I may be living a texas beach life instead. Very different, but lower stress financially it sounds like.

Have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego