Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 AM

434 posts, read 987,966 times

Advertisements

It's funny. When i was younger (teens to early 20s), I dreamed of living downtown. As Sass said, it's a tourist/party playground, although there are a lot of living spaces down there, too. For me, DT would rank behind all the desirable city neighborhoods that we talk about here so much. If you are working in RB, you might want to consider neighborhoods around 163 or 15, south of 8. You'd cut down on your commute, and your weekend drive to the beach wouldn't be all that much farther.

Downtown La Jolla is cool and walkable, especially if you are not offended by mass public displays of affluence. Some gorgeous homes, purty buildings and classic, old-money charm. And then there's that coastline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 AM

36 posts, read 211,662 times
Thumbs up 1 more for Gaslamp!

I'd go w/ The Gaslamp District (or maybe the Marina District if you want to be a little closer to the water) if I were you. I've lived in La Jolla (well, the UTC area) and yes, it was pretty but boring. Every weekend I found myself driving downtown to meet my friends b/c that's where everything is. No one really hangs out in La Jolla unless you're going out w/ your family. Yes, they have little shops when you get closer to the beach but I don't think that will do you justice.

From your post and the urban feel you're seeking, I'd go w/ Gaslamp. I just stayed w/ a friend who has a Gaslamp condo and it was amazing! The condos are fab and the feel is awesome. Personally, I like to come home to peace and quiet and be surrounded by grass, trees, etc. so I'm probably going to move to Mission Valley. With that said, Gaslamp was still an awesome experience (minus the train noise during the weee hrs of the morning. Ugh!) and I could see myself enjoying the people, shops, convenience and harbor that's close by.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 AM
PSW PSW started this thread

5 posts, read 18,301 times
Hi there,

Thank you all for the great responses. You gave me a lot to think about/consider...and ever more so now that I'm here in SD. Right now, I'm in temporary corporate housing in the UTC area. It's certainly nice, but I think I'd prefer a little more density.

I checked out LJ village and it seemed cool, but lacking a bit in the under 35 set. Perhaps I should give it another go though. I ran a fake morning commute from LJ village to RB and it was no problem traffic wise.

Someone suggested Bird Rock as an alternative...I'm going to go there this weekend. Del Mar has also shown strong poll numbers.

At this point, however, the balance is slightly shifting back downtown, Little Italy specifically. Any thoughts on that area for an early 30s, single, straight professional working in RB? Or is the beach still the way to go?

Thanks again for the input.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Bird Rock is very family-oriented. Great location but BR has too many kids for a young single guy.

Have you looked in North PB? Turquoise St is the business area and it's very walkable.

This condo building has a nice North PB location:
SDLookup.com > Pacific*Shores*Condos

Old 08-05-2009, 02:53 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSW View Post
I ran a fake morning commute from LJ village to RB and it was no problem traffic wise.
How long did it take? Google Maps says 29 minutes. The distance is 24 miles, and my only experience with SoCal is LA/OC, where that distance could easily take an hour or longer.

My employer has an office in Rancho Bernardo and I have wondered how bad the commute would be if I were to transfer down there, assuming I wanted to live near the coast.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Gaslamp is a crowded overpriced tourist trap. La Jolla is one of the most affluent communities in the country. Homes and condos in La Jolla proper are in the million dollar and over range excluding most of the common folks. It is a nice place to visit with some stunning ocean views. Visitor parking is a problem. Beyond the ocean and the scenery it's mostly very expensive shops and restaurants that I could not afford on a regular basis. I did enjoy Thanksgiving dinner a couple of years ago at the Marine Room, right on the beach.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:53 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
tell us how you really feel!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
PSW PSW started this thread

5 posts, read 18,301 times
"How long did it take? Google Maps says 29 minutes. The distance is 24 miles, and my only experience with SoCal is LA/OC, where that distance could easily take an hour or longer.

My employer has an office in Rancho Bernardo and I have wondered how bad the commute would be if I were to transfer down there, assuming I wanted to live near the coast."

I drove from Prospect and Ivanhoe to Bernardo Center Drive in 31 minutes.
Left Monday at 8:38AM (which is roughly when I would leave for work).
Torrey Pines --> LJ Parkway --> 52 --> 15. Ran into no congestion whatsoever.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSW View Post
I drove from Prospect and Ivanhoe to Bernardo Center Drive in 31 minutes.
Left Monday at 8:38AM (which is roughly when I would leave for work).
Torrey Pines --> LJ Parkway --> 52 --> 15. Ran into no congestion whatsoever.
Thanks - that's great information and astonishing to hear. I didn't know it was possible to find an uncongested freeway anywhere in California at 8:30am!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego