Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:48 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,943,986 times

Advertisements

San Diego is great for sailing (generally calm waters and reliable afternoon winds), there's an MLB baseball team, an NFL team, universities and the culture they bring in the form of seminars, etc..., the great weather year-round, the nice beach towns, good restaurants, good seafood, fairly safe place to live...
The hiking is better in other parts of CA, but there's some of that in SD as well. I think SD has more in its favor than against, but mileage will vary depending on the user.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:56 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,829,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Don't feed the troll.
Yeah, no kidding. A poster drops a lame thread bomb like this, only to disappear with not a single response as the "who do you think you are?" and "why don't you just leave?" posts pile up. Let's just throw this discussion on the scrap heap and move on.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
i agree, stupid to be in a place like SD, and all winter long what a drag, much more stimulating other places i have lived. you mentioned chicago---
you dont know the thrill of living until get off the L green line and walk S. side cicero late at night at 32F below not only is the weather exciting but you get to meet such interesting people and make lots of new friends. oh yes indeed very stimulating.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,745,107 times
I do get sort of sick and tired of local media saying that "We are Americas finest city" and act like we are better than everywhere else. San Diegans do have this sense of pride, and it act like we are such a goodie tooshoe type of city and everything is perfect. When something bad happens, homicide, violent crimes, people seriously flip out and say "Somethings not right, stuff like this doesn't happen here" "We need more cops" kind of mentality, really gets annoying because SD is such a safe place, that nobody should complain about local crime since many other big cities are so much worse like Phoenix for instance.

Also comparing SD to other big "More important" cities is unfair. I'm starting to realize this. SD is probably just as old as any big city on the East Coast. It's just that we bloomed so late, and massive development didn't take off in San Diego up until the 40's and after WWII. LA and SF are just as old as SD, but yet developed at a much early time period, LA took a lot of industry jobs away from San Diego, people flocked to LA, because that's where everything was happening at the time, jobs, housing, goods.

I wish that San Diego did developed early in time, but that fact is, we didn't. SD was never ment to be a New York or Chicago, or even an LA. Those big cities wanted to become big, so that's what happened.

For the lack of culture, yes we really don't have one, but honestly who cares. Does LA have culture? Not really, it's more like culture of rich and famous, culture of gangsters and drug dealers, culture of crime, culture of traffic culture of being over populated. Does it mean LA sucks? Hell no. The Westcoast as a whole is just laid back, this might explain why we lack culture I guess.

Personally I'm not the type of person that likes theater, or goes to musicals , goes to art galleries, and whatever else people consider "cultural". It's hard to pinpoint what culture truly is, culture can come from family values, religon and beliefs, diversity of interests, job offerings, diversity of people.

I personally I like classic cars, hip hop and R&B music, like going to car shows, that can be labled a certain culture, might not be what the snobby people like, but hey it's still a cultural activity.

San Diego is a mid size city, so we should be comparing ourselves with other mid sizers. I feel that SD is bigger and more urban, has more things to do, than many other cities our size. The Southern states and cities feel very rural and un urban, thus leading to a slow pace of life, and boring feel. So San Diego shines on that aspect, we don't have farms down the street from local suburbs like they do in the Carolina States. The East Coast cannot be compared to anywhere else in the country, it's just so different it's like it's own little world.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 PM

6,217 posts, read 11,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
San Diego is a mid size city, so we should be comparing ourselves with other mid sizers. I feel that SD is bigger and more urban, has more things to do, than many other cities our size. The Southern states and cities feel very rural and un urban, thus leading to a slow pace of life, and boring feel. So San Diego shines on that aspect, we don't have farms down the street from local suburbs like they do in the Carolina States. The East Coast cannot be compared to anywhere else in the country, it's just so different it's like it's own little world.
Actually San Diego, if you're talking about the city limits itself, is the 8th largest in the United States, and comparable to cities like Philly, Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio, and San Jose. It actually feels small for it's size considering it's population is approaching 1.5 million. It feels more like cities such as Tampa, Portland, or Denver. The San Diego metro area on the other hand (the entire SD County), with about 3 million people is ranked 17th, and comparable in size to the Twin Cities or St. Louis Metro.

Now with Southern cities that feel rural and unurban, you didn't include Atlanta, did you? Because that city feels huge for its size, even bigger than San Diego.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 PM

6,217 posts, read 11,818,101 times
Quote:
I do get sort of sick and tired of local media saying that "We are Americas finest city" and act like we are better than everywhere else. San Diegans do have this sense of pride, and it act like we are such a goodie tooshoe type of city and everything is perfect. When something bad happens, homicide, violent crimes, people seriously flip out and say "Somethings not right, stuff like this doesn't happen here" "We need more cops" kind of mentality, really gets annoying because SD is such a safe place, that nobody should complain about local crime since many other big cities are so much worse like Phoenix for instance.

Also comparing SD to other big "More important" cities is unfair. I'm starting to realize this. SD is probably just as old as any big city on the East Coast. It's just that we bloomed so late, and massive development didn't take off in San Diego up until the 40's and after WWII. LA and SF are just as old as SD, but yet developed at a much early time period, LA took a lot of industry jobs away from San Diego, people flocked to LA, because that's where everything was happening at the time, jobs, housing, goods.

I wish that San Diego did developed early in time, but that fact is, we didn't. SD was never ment to be a New York or Chicago, or even an LA. Those big cities wanted to become big, so that's what happened.
I too used to feel offended whenever the local news media acted like that, because I felt like they were looking down at every other city, including my hometown of Atlanta. Most people in SD would say that Atlanta sucks and think its a trashy ghetto city, and just like Detroit.

What's funny is that San Diego with its low crime rate and peacefulness reminds me of the futuristic city in the movie Demolition Man (except for everything being controlled by the government and every restaurant being Taco Bell). What does remind me of that movie is how everyone seems to be happy (or as they said in the movie, having "joy-joy feelings"). Also, I can imagine what its like at the SDPD whenever there is a homicide, and no one knows what to do since they are not used to it, so they ask the computer to explain what a 187 is and it describes it as "MDK - Murder Death Kill, last recorded offense: 2 weeks ago." I can also imagine a police officer not used to dealing with violent criminals having a handheld computer give the instructions "In a firm tone, tell suspect to get down on the ground and put hands behind back." (Sorry, I've watched that movie too many times).

Now for the OP, I wouldn't say that San Diego sucks (I used to), but I won't say its the greatest city in the world either. There are plenty of worse places out there. I happened to find one place I like living more than San Diego, which is the Tokyo area. There are a few things I miss about S.D., like not having to worry about the weather when planning an outdoor activity, the Mexican food, and the diversity; but I would rather stay in Japan if I could. One thing about San Diego and California in general is that its probably the most Japan-like place in the United States, but with a different climate.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
... SD is probably just as old as any big city on the East Coast. It's just that we bloomed so late, and massive development didn't take off in San Diego up until the 40's and after WWII. LA and SF are just as old as SD, but yet developed at a much early time period, LA took a lot of industry jobs away from San Diego, people flocked to LA, because that's where everything was happening at the time, jobs, housing, goods.
I'm not sure where you took U.S. history, but your quote (pasted above) left me scratching my head.
SD is not "just as old as any big city on the East Coast," as you stated.
Some examples:
Philadelphia was settled by Europeans in the 1600s.
New York City was formed in 1624.
On the West Coast, LA was founded in the mid- to late-1700s.
SD was founded in 1769.
Massive development didn't really start in San Diego until the 1960s, and really boomed in the 1970s and 1980s. Not the 1940s.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 PM

8,024 posts, read 12,174,447 times
I can't understand how anybody can say that San Diego sucks. I realize that it's not perfect due to the high cost of living, close proximity to the Mexican border, etc., but it's one of the most perfect vacation spots in the entire nation. People flock to southern California in droves to visit the theme parks & the beaches ... and a good share of these vacationers end up in San Diego to see one of the most famous zoos in the world, as well as other famous attractions such as Sea World.

San Diego actually has an economic boost during the summer months because of visitors from Phoenix flocking there to escape the heat. Summer temps in San Diego range from the 60s to the 80s with hardly any days above 90 degrees. Winter weather is almost identical to Phoenix's. The year round climate is probably the best in the nation. In fact, I'm going there in the middle part of June, so I'll be looking forward to the cool temps & the marine layer.

Another thing: I've noticed that these forums have lots of people who like to gripe about a particular city, state, or region. They are all over the place. Come to the Phoenix forum sometime, and you'll find just as many (if not more) malcontents that like to whine about how Phoenix supposedly lacks culture, how the education system is horrible, how fast & aggressive the drivers are, how bad the traffic is, etc.

As a Phoenician, I think San Diego is a GREAT city. It's slightly smaller in population than Phoenix, but really has more to offer in terms of theme parks ... and the downtown skyline is more impressive than Phoenix's. Both cities have massive sprawl, but San Diego's sprawl seems less obnoxious than Phoenix or L.A. San Diegans should be thankful to reside in such a beautiful city with a lot to offer. No, it's not culturally magnificent like New York City, but not every sizeable U.S. city has to be a carbon copy of NYC!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I can't understand how anybody can say that San Diego sucks. I realize that it's not perfect due to the high cost of living, close proximity to the Mexican border, etc., but it's one of the most perfect vacation spots in the entire nation. People flock to southern California in droves to visit the theme parks & the beaches ... and a good share of these vacationers end up in San Diego to see one of the most famous zoos in the world, as well as other famous attractions such as Sea World.

San Diego actually has an economic boost during the summer months because of visitors from Phoenix flocking there to escape the heat. Summer temps in San Diego range from the 60s to the 80s with hardly any days above 90 degrees. Winter weather is almost identical to Phoenix's. The year round climate is probably the best in the nation. In fact, I'm going there in the middle part of June, so I'll be looking forward to the cool temps & the marine layer.

Another thing: I've noticed that these forums have lots of people who like to gripe about a particular city, state, or region. They are all over the place. Come to the Phoenix forum sometime, and you'll find just as many (if not more) malcontents that like to whine about how Phoenix supposedly lacks culture, how the education system is horrible, how fast & aggressive the drivers are, how bad the traffic is, etc.

As a Phoenician, I think San Diego is a GREAT city. It's slightly smaller in population than Phoenix, but really has more to offer in terms of theme parks ... and the downtown skyline is more impressive than Phoenix's. Both cities have massive sprawl, but San Diego's sprawl seems less obnoxious than Phoenix or L.A. San Diegans should be thankful to reside in such a beautiful city with a lot to offer. No, it's not culturally magnificent like New York City, but not every sizeable U.S. city has to be a carbon copy of NYC!
Nice post. The fact that it came from someone who lives outside of San Diego just gives it more credibility. If a local posted it, we'd be accused of drinking the Kool-Aid about San Diego and thinking it's the greatest city in the world. Thanks for some much-needed perspective here. I hereby take back everytime I've cursed "Zonie Go Home!" as a mini-van with Arizona plates took the last parking spot at Swami's or Moonlight Beach!!

Last edited by Encinitan; 06-01-2009 at 11:33 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 PM

8,024 posts, read 12,174,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Nice post. The fact that it came from someone who lives outside of San Diego just gives it more credibility. If a local posted it, we'd be accused of drinking the Kool-Aid about San Diego and thinking it's the greatest city in the world. Thanks for some much-needed perspective here.
No problem. It's always in my (and everyone else's) best interest when I post positive things about a particular city. I have done the same in the Phoenix forum, and I'll gladly do the same for San Diego. Both cities are nearly identical in population, and both admittedly have downsides. However, the people who constantly complain or bash a particular city/metro area certainly aren't lifting their own standards. All they're really doing is making jackasses of themselves in my opinion!

I love San Diego, and actually enjoy the marine layer & the 30+ degree drop in temps from Phoenix this time of year! Am really looking forward to the beaches, Sea World, Seaport Village, Gaslamp Quarter, etc. San Diego is THE perfect get away spot for people that want a laid back lifestyle, but with plenty of the big city amenities at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego