Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:13 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

Do not pay any attention at all to blakazdog, he shouldn't even post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:30 PM

157 posts, read 645,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Do not pay any attention at all to blakazdog, he shouldn't even post.
hey joe, cool out and let others have they opinions.

you ain't got no tolerance for otherz.

if you don't like what i'm writin then do like your name and MOVE ON.

PEECE OUT !

Old 06-07-2009, 05:40 PM

181 posts, read 466,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_angel View Post
Thanks for the update! Hubby and I are moving from Green Bay WI to San Diego in a few weeks and I'm excited but terrified! We haven't begun to look at housing yet since he's staying in a rental while I'm staying in WI until our house sells.

He's working in El Cajon and we were hoping to find a home there but after reading some of the forums I think we may look in La Mesa instead. I'm not adverse to a condo but we have three cats and a small dog - probably too many pets for most of them.

I would think twice about La Mesa as well. It is further out and it is somewhat seedy. Check area's like Hillcrest, North Park, Normal Heights, or anywhere N of Downtown... Mission Valley isn't bad, busy though with all the shopping, and it does get hot!

My Apt has NO air, and that is NO problem... I get a nice breeze on the 2nd floor. (We ran air in MN from May thru Oct NONSTOP, so thats saying something)

Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubHaze View Post
I would think twice about La Mesa as well. It is further out and it is somewhat seedy. Check area's like Hillcrest, North Park, Normal Heights, or anywhere N of Downtown... Mission Valley isn't bad, busy though with all the shopping, and it does get hot!

My Apt has NO air, and that is NO problem... I get a nice breeze on the 2nd floor. (We ran air in MN from May thru Oct NONSTOP, so thats saying something)
For $1095 a month in North Park the apt should have AC. North Park can get hot in the summer. One quickly finds out in San Diego the further inland you go the hotter it gets. See how it is the remainder of the summer. If you can keep your windows open and it remains comfortable all the better, otherwise you might find you want to invest in an AC. See how it goes this summer.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakazdog View Post
if you don't like what i'm writin then do like your name and MOVE ON.
You need to be careful about spreading misinformation and uninformed opinions to people trying to make life choices based on your postings. You don't seem to have the experience or knowledge of the city to give advice to others about areas of San Diego. You don't even appear to actually live here, based on what you've contributed so far.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:57 PM

157 posts, read 645,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You need to be careful about spreading misinformation and uninformed opinions to people trying to make life choices based on your postings. You don't seem to have the experience or knowledge of the city to give advice to others about areas of San Diego. You don't even appear to actually live here, based on what you've contributed so far.
OK sass I admit i'm not the expert on SanDiego.

but im goin on other posters info. and the LaMesa police website.

and some folz who LIVE in LaMesa told me it bad on the west side of the city. ...... robberies and assaults happenin on a weekly basis.

not pretendin to know it all. ..... just trying to steer folkz away from crime areas.

so no harm intended.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Dubhaze - Welcome to San Diego !!!

Now that you're settled in, I recommend exploring all the San Diego neighborhoods.

You may find other areas that you might eventually want to move to someday.

Each area has a different feel, and different things to offer.

Personally, I settled in the Clairemont - Mission Bay area, because I love biking around Mission Bay, and along the boardwalk at Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, and I have a short commute to these beaches.

My location also feels like it's central to all of SD. I have a relatively short commute to La Jolla, Downtown, Balboa Park, the beaches, Mission Valley, UTC, etc.

And Clairemont has lots of supermarkets, shopping centers, auto repair, restaurants, etc. so everything I need is very close.

It has a very nice suburban feel. Lots of single family homes. And Tecolote Canyon runs right through it, which is very scenic.

North Park is nice too. Never lived there, but I drive through it on my way to Balboa park.

I also recommend getting an annual zoo membership. It really pays for itself, since it includes 2 free guest passes each year, and usually 2 more free passes are included in the Zoo News Magazine around Fall/Winter.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:35 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
I've put this into a lot of threads, but "East" San Diego's danger is completely overrated. No San Diego County city is in the top 150 most dangerous cities in the US. Minneapolis is the 20th most dangerous city in the US - - San Diego is 184th. The supposedly dangerous, south-of-the-five city of Chula Vista is 193rd. While crime is slightly higher further east, it is so overblown by those who seem to be largely classist (and, in some cases, racist).

Old 06-08-2009, 01:14 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubHaze View Post
And lastly. QUIT COMPLAINING ABOUT COSTS OF FOOD. If you shop smart, get rewards cards for Ralphs (my fav, secondly vons) then you will do fine!!! Pop, Chips, FRUIT, VEGGIES just about everything is cheaper AND fresher than anywhere in the country!! Although if you are a HUGE meat eater, that can be expensive. (we are mostly vegetarians)
YES! I've found that food is much cheaper here too, especially fresh fruit/veggies compared to where I used to live in Florida. My husband and I are vegetarians, so I wouldn't know about cost of meat...but for produce it's definitely less. I would also suggest getting a Vons rewards card, and also Trader Joe's is VERY cheap.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,140 times
Thank goodness you gave great details, as I will be moving there as soon as I can transfer within my company. I moved from there in 1990, lived in PB, and had a great time = hate it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego