Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 07:11 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times

Advertisements

I'm in the very early stages of considering becoming a substitute teacher for one of the numerous districts here in the San Diego metro area. It's something I've considered doing for a little while now. My husband and I own our own business doing programming / web work, and I think it would be a little interesting to do, some extra $$$ during times when our work load is light.

I know that most of the California education system is in the hole, but it seems that SDUSD and other smaller districts (Grossmont Union, La Mesa-Spring Valley) are still accepting applications for subs. I saw that Poway Unified is not.

Honestly I wouldn't mind the "rougher" schools or special needs classes. I also prefer middle school/high school kids over young elementary school.

Has anyone ever subbed in the city before? Is this a terrible idea? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 06-08-2009 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:20 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I have friend that's a substitute teacher for the Grossmont District. She used to work for San Diego Unified, but the problem there is that all the displaced teachers are taking the substitute jobs. I used to work as a clerical substitute for them, also, and now, all the displaced clerical employees are taking the jobs. Both of us were terminated through no fault of our own, so if you do work for SDCS, be advised that they don't treat you very well. Also, each district has a different pay scale, some pay more, some pay less. Yes, they're accepting applications, but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get work. The jobs come in through an automated system (all the districts use them), and another substitute teacher told me that it's getting harder and harder to get jobs. If you plan to substitute teach, apply and work for more than one district.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
...but the problem there is that all the displaced teachers are taking the substitute jobs.
^^ I was thinking that this was probably something that's happening.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean when you say that SDUSD doesn't treat its subs well?

Thanks so much for the info!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
They write you up at the drop of a hat, even if you've done nothing wrong. HR believes anything that they get on paper. You can show up for your job assignment, and discover that it's been cancelled for various reasons, one of which is that the teacher called a friend to sub, and the system couldn't reach you.

My friend was terminated last July, and didn't even know until I looked her up in the computer. I was terminated in January. I was sent a letter that I never received, so it was via telephone call telling me not to report to work anymore until further notice, and to wait for my letter.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
jmc

101 posts, read 862,920 times
Wow, Moved, sorry you were treated that way by San Diego Unifed. Thepinksquid, to answer your questions, I used to sub for both San Diego Unified (City Schools) and Chula Vista Elementary School District before we moved to FL. Chula Vista is a good district, at least in the newer area (Eastlake), although I know you're not as interested in elementary. I had my credential and taught elementary (long term sub jobs/temporary contracts), as well as day-to-day subbing. Sounds like it's even HARDER now than it was then to secure a job. If you make a good impression and get in good with a few teachers, grade level, school, etc., you may have more luck. I admit that I had an advantage since I had a credential and was able to sub at schools where they knew me from having long-term subbed or from having a class there, along with other schools. Give it a shot but definitely apply to more than one district if you can. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 9,259 times
thepinksquid :
Subbing is great!! I have beening subbing for the last two years. I also run my own business-full time. Subbing is so flexible. You make the call whether or not to accept the assignment. Don't just put in the application. If you really enjoy subbing, I suggest to visit the school sites. Introduce yourself to the secretary. Make business card, with sub id and phone number on it. any extra info would help. talk to teachers. at most times, i have to cancel my sub assignments because i usually very busy with my business. so, know other subs. if they can't take the assignment, at least they will call you.
san diego unified district pays more than other districts. good part time career/job. good luck
Sub with passion!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina quynh View Post
thepinksquid :
Subbing is great!! I have beening subbing for the last two years. I also run my own business-full time. Subbing is so flexible. You make the call whether or not to accept the assignment. Don't just put in the application. If you really enjoy subbing, I suggest to visit the school sites. Introduce yourself to the secretary. Make business card, with sub id and phone number on it. any extra info would help. talk to teachers. at most times, i have to cancel my sub assignments because i usually very busy with my business. so, know other subs. if they can't take the assignment, at least they will call you.
san diego unified district pays more than other districts. good part time career/job. good luck
Sub with passion!!!
This thread is going on 2 years old. Thanks for the info but I've since found a great job in my field so I'm not looking into subbing any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego