U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 AM

16,788 posts, read 27,559,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatia333 View Post
Thanks for your responses. It really helps me to think over things which I might be missing out on.
sav858....cheaper housing + laid back work enviorment factor + beach enviorment. Also I agree the difference in housing is not the same as going to Nevada or Arizona, but then you completely loose the beach access and the California culture over there.

My wife and me would be carpooling. Would that make the trip any better?
If those are 3 things you desire in an area then SD is the place for that imo. Part of the reason I do like it down here is that it's more laid back and easy going and the beach environment/scene. To me it can feel like your on vacation on weekends or something when you just hang out at the beach.

If you are carpooling that makes a difference for a good chunk of your commute because they have these High Occupancy Toll lanes in the middle of I-15 where carpools ride for free and single drivers can pay to use for a variable fee that is based on traffic conditions. So the lanes pretty much keep moving no matter how bad traffic is in the general lanes and they are separated by a concrete barrier. It's like a freeway within a freeway pretty much. They are expanding them so there is construction but a good portion is already completed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,494 times
Bhatia333,

Did you ever make the move to SD? I'm from the bay area as well and thinking of moving down as well.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 AM

2,892 posts, read 4,238,411 times
I live in the Bay Area part of the year and in SD part of the year (it's a nice setup). Overall, it just depends what you like to do. Where in the Bay Area do you live? If you're moving from SF, it will be a culture shock. If you move from San Ramon, you'll find it pretty much identical to SD, but with the addition of the beach access.

Generally, I find that most of CA is fairly suburban, politically moderate, outdoorsy, and homogenous. SD fits right in with that. The exceptions in the state are SF/Berkeley and parts of LA. Otherwise, there's not much difference between SD and other run-of-the-mill Bay Area suburbs.

I don't think SD is as laid-back as people say though. Having just returned from a week in NC, I find drivers to be rude and impatient, and store employees and waiters/waitresses to be really spastic and hyper. So if you want "real" laid-back-ness, move to the South!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego