U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 AM

132 posts, read 590,186 times

Advertisements

Do you have A/C? Where do you live?

I'm from Leucadia, west of the 5, and we don't have A/C. Most of our neighbors don't either and generally, it doesn't get too hot. But during August/September, it can get pretty uncomfortable and 'still' & humid. If I owned a house there, I would probably get it even though you don't really need it....

If I lived say, west of El Camino Real in north county, I think you need it. A short distance away from the coast heats things up considerably.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 01:31 AM

1,504 posts, read 5,703,520 times
I rented a house without A/C in Rancho Penasquitos for a year. Second floor consistently got uncomfortably hot in the afternoons, especially the west-facing master bedroom. We got a window unit and that helped somewhat. Heat waves were the worst. When highs hit triple digits, a window A/C on the second floor and a portable unit in the family room at full power were barely enough to keep us from stripping to underwear or running away.

I'm in Escondido now - further inland. We have two serious A/C units, one for each floor, but I don't think we used them even once during the last three months. Partly because it's been cooler than normal lately, partly because the house is well-built - proper insulation, with a real attic; almost no south-facing walls in habitable areas (south wall belongs to the garage and an unfinished attic on top of it); shade trees all around.

And that's the main thing. San Diego is not Phoenix. Even if it gets too hot in the summer, lows are always in the 50's and 60's. You can get through occasional 105 F if the house is well insulated and shaded.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:09 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,819,103 times
No AC here but I'm in Lemon Grove and on a hill. I always have a good solid breeze going through the house when the windows are open.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:44 AM

204 posts, read 589,948 times
No AC here in Shadowridge Vista. Hopefully my Spanish tiles will keep me cool during a heat wave. So far, I've been comfortable at around 71 degrees inside. If it gets too warm, I'll add AC because I am plumbed for it.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:47 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,097,635 times
I have it here in Chula Vista's RDR area.My first two places in the South Central and Southwest areas of Chula Vista did not have ac though

Old 06-14-2009, 03:03 AM

4,401 posts, read 9,624,502 times
I had A/C in Santee (wouldn't want to live there without it), but the other two places I lived, Clairemont didn't have it, and San Ysidro didn't have central air but had a box A/C unit.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 AM

14,486 posts, read 28,289,889 times
No, I'm in North Park and don't need it. I open all my windows and have ceiling fans in each room.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 AM

76 posts, read 283,308 times
Live in Oceanside, about 4 miles from the beach as the crow flies. No A/C needed for us. We can live with the handful of warmish days without it especially since it always cools down at night.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:18 PM

4,715 posts, read 3,004,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
No AC here but I'm in Lemon Grove and on a hill. I always have a good solid breeze going through the house when the windows are open.
Yep, I'm in Spring Valley and on a hill and have that same breeze coming through. There are probably nine or ten days a year when I wish I had AC, but I can live without it (maybe because I'm originally from the east and know what real humidity feels like.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 PM

8,536 posts, read 27,569,947 times
Yep. Central air. Love it, use it. Couldn't live here without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego