Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 17,827 times

Advertisements

I just moved from the pacific northwest and am a huge outdoor person. I have been doing some research and some adventuring and have yet to find somewhere to camp (car camping or backpacking) in the san diego area that has some sort of shade, water and where you can have a campfire. I am aware of the pay for site campgrounds but am looking for an area where I wont see that many other people. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 01:53 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,123,578 times
You can camp in Potrero Park, which is in East County.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:41 PM

4 posts, read 10,716 times
Cuyamaca Mountains

Old 07-06-2009, 04:47 PM

26 posts, read 104,530 times
try the top of Palomar Mountain nice and cool up there in the summer time
State and Federal Camp Sites with TENT Camping or RV.
not far from San Diego

Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,541,547 times
The closest dispersed camping that I'm aware of is in Anza Borrego State Park, and BLM lands east of there.

But I lie! There is BLM land close to Mt. Laguna. We took Kitchen Creek Road off Sunrise Highway, south of the town of Mt. Laguna. We saw a couple of places where campers were tucked in off the road. My DH now says he thinks that was National Forest land and not BLM land. And he reminds me that you must have an Adventure Pass on National Forest land.

So look at National Forest and at BLM land to camp away from anyone else.

Or ... if you're camping in the middle of the week, try the Indian Flats campground. It's established, but remote. In fact you need to bring in your own water! (there are vault toilets) We were there on a Friday night a month ago, and there was only one other camper in the campground.

DH is now madly looking up campgrounds, since we're also looking for remote camping :-D ...

... he suggests to investigate:
he's muttering 'Boulder Oaks' ... no, that's not it ....

(Boulder Oaks is off highway 94. We've not yet stayed there. It was the first campground where we saw the "closed for arroyo toad mating season" sign.)

... Cibbets Flats. It's developed, with drinking water and restrooms, but no electrickery. We also haven't yet stayed there. This weekend we'll likely be either at Boulder Oaks or Cibbets Flats.

Cibbets Flat Campground | California | Public Lands Information Center | Recreation Search

Old 07-07-2009, 02:13 PM

171 posts, read 586,374 times
I love the La Jolla Band Indian Reservation campgrounds

You have a camp site with, in most cases, direct access to the river (well..more of a large stream) that you can go tubing down.

http://www.lajollaindians.com/Campground/ (broken link)

Its in Pauma Valley just north of Valley Center. Lots of trees, shade, and we even saw some bobcats!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 17,827 times
Awesome, thanks everyone for all the ideas, we'll check em out!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,123,578 times
Dixon Lake in Escondido.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:47 PM
wrp

9 posts, read 51,079 times
Found this thread because am looking for remote camping in the San Diego area. Like the original poster, with plenty of shade, scenery and hiking opportunity. I will look up all the tips given so far. I have elsewhere heard Cleveland National Forest mentioned and am wondering if any have experience with that place. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,110,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp View Post
Found this thread because am looking for remote camping in the San Diego area. Like the original poster, with plenty of shade, scenery and hiking opportunity. I will look up all the tips given so far. I have elsewhere heard Cleveland National Forest mentioned and am wondering if any have experience with that place. Thanks.
Yes, there is plenty of camping around Cleveland Nat'l Forest. It's a huge National Forest as well, and not as subject to overcrowding as camping areas elsewhere in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego