Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 PM

140 posts, read 488,683 times

Advertisements

Are thinking of moving to sunny San Diego. You are racking your brain. Where do I live? I need to buy a house right away. A word of advice.

Rent in the area you think you would like to own. Check it out for a couple years. Unless you are planning to stay in the same place for 10 year, just rent. It took me a good 3 years to figure out where I wanted to live and really learn the area. Some area are not as great as they seem at first glance. That strip bar down the block is pretty cool if you are a 25 yo male, perhaps not so nice with wife an 3 kids.

Time is on your side. The go-go days of 2002-2006 are history. Renting is not for suckers it is for smarties.

This advice to all the people from Kazhakstan, Kansas, Korea, or Kokomo that are relocating to San Diego.

TRY BEFORE BUY.....RENT BEFORE BUY. If I had bought in the area I originally wanted to buy in I would be seriously bummed out now, and seriously underwater.

To you.....young twenty-something from Toledo Ohio......sick of the midwest. When you move to San Diego.. RENT BEFORE BUY.

To you, recently single divorcee from Peoria considering a move to San Diego...RENT BEFORE BUY.

To you, urban sophisticate from NYC, looking to move back closer to the parents...RENT BEFORE BUY.

To you _____, from ______ and looking for a change and considering a move to San Diego..RENT BEFORE BUY. Fill in the blanks with your personal info.

Good luck and Good night mi amigos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 PM

114 posts, read 425,131 times
THX! Sounds reasonable. Our family is planning to move to SD in the next year or so. We know we must rent before we buy, especially in a city we know nothing about.

Good luck to all.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 PM

387 posts, read 2,130,654 times
Ha! Good post.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:32 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
seeing as I'm too poor to buy..I have no choice but to rent before buying, but I do know SD very well. I'm from Tucson and lived in LA for a year so I've spent a lot of time there.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:43 PM

131 posts, read 298,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDrelocate View Post
Are thinking of moving to sunny San Diego. You are racking your brain. Where do I live? I need to buy a house right away. A word of advice.

Rent in the area you think you would like to own. Check it out for a couple years. Unless you are planning to stay in the same place for 10 year, just rent. It took me a good 3 years to figure out where I wanted to live and really learn the area. Some area are not as great as they seem at first glance. That strip bar down the block is pretty cool if you are a 25 yo male, perhaps not so nice with wife an 3 kids.

Time is on your side. The go-go days of 2002-2006 are history. Renting is not for suckers it is for smarties.

This advice to all the people from Kazhakstan, Kansas, Korea, or Kokomo that are relocating to San Diego.

TRY BEFORE BUY.....RENT BEFORE BUY. If I had bought in the area I originally wanted to buy in I would be seriously bummed out now, and seriously underwater.

To you.....young twenty-something from Toledo Ohio......sick of the midwest. When you move to San Diego.. RENT BEFORE BUY.

To you, recently single divorcee from Peoria considering a move to San Diego...RENT BEFORE BUY.

To you, urban sophisticate from NYC, looking to move back closer to the parents...RENT BEFORE BUY.

To you _____, from ______ and looking for a change and considering a move to San Diego..RENT BEFORE BUY. Fill in the blanks with your personal info.

Good luck and Good night mi amigos.
Great advice! I'm alllllllll about renting, especially since I've never lived in SD before and therefore don't truly know if I'll like it as the years go by. I think I will, though! But, per your advice, I can buy once I've been there for a few years and I KNOW that I like it!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 PM

Thanks and Mabuhay... Cebu077

Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
Can you send this post to my wife!!!! ha!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 PM

Pressure to buy from the wife can be intense. Hold your ground.

Do a search on youtube for "Suzanne Researched this commercial"

YouTube - Suzanne Researched This Commercial

That poor sap that bought the house in 2006 is probably getting foreclosed on now....WHERE'S SUZANNE??

Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
she doesnt even want to move to SD, but she keeps saying that she wants to buy if we move there. she doesnt seem to understand how hard it would be to move across the country and buy a house at the same time! i would like to keep my hair from falling out.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 PM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
she doesnt even want to move to SD, but she keeps saying that she wants to buy if we move there. she doesnt seem to understand how hard it would be to move across the country and buy a house at the same time! i would like to keep my hair from falling out.
I kind of felt the same way before we moved to San Diego but tell her it is no big deal to rent there. EVERYONE rents. There isn't the same stigma of renting that you might find in other parts of the country. We are glad we did and eventually ended up buying after 1 year (and moving back to the East Coast 2 years later), so wish we would have rented the entire time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego