Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:46 PM

213 posts, read 744,575 times

Advertisements

I always thought Barrio Logan was just a hole and nothing more of drugs and gangs cause of what I 've heard. But whats the real crime there. IS there lots of gangs (i mean dangerous ones) lots of drugs. Many murders, I never thought there were because SD isn't to bad with gangs. Just wondering cause I was thinking of moving more towards downtown in the southern part. Barrio Logan looked diverse but I've been hearing some bad things. I know Logan Heights is pretty ghetto but not necessarily unsafe. But I actually never heard much about Barrio Logan until recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
If you mean the area around Chicano Park it is gang central but they tend to mess with each other mostly. It can be a problem if you are Latino. That area is almost all Mexican-American. It is a pretty busy area though and you should be fine during the day. Unless you are into trouble of course. Sherman Heights is better but still has gangs, Golden Hill is a lot better than both those areas.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:03 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Damn, Sass, why do I even bother clicking on some of these threads when all you do is take the words right out of my mouth

FYI - Chicano Park Days is awesome! Full of cholos showing off their Lowrider cars and bikes.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 PM

61 posts, read 192,387 times
Gangs dont mess with people for the hell of it. They mess with other gangs. Its all how you carry yourself. If your walking down Ocean View in Logan and your normal dressed, chances are your fine. If your walking down the street dressed like a cholo or sagging, etc they might screw with you. But as far as murders and stuff thats gangs on gangs, they dont kill random people. South of Imperial and west of 32nd Street is mainly the "Logan" gang turf. Its not hard to tell thats not a friendly neighborhood.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:33 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
I sure is hell would not walk down Ocean View, Logan Ave, National Ave, Imperial at night without some sort of protection. It is all Mexican, it's the Barrio, duh.

BTW who's telling you about Barrio Logan, why would you even consider moving close to that neighborhood?

The day time it's fine I guess, but yeah at night, you should watch out. It's cleaned up a bit, but it's still the hood.

Chicano Park Festival is one of my favorite days of the year! Lowriders galore, and the best of the best Mexicano food that you can buy, fine ass girls, and just a good time to get out and learn some history about the Barrio and Chicano culture.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:41 PM

61 posts, read 192,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

BTW who's telling you about Barrio Logan, why would you even consider moving close to that neighborhood?
Exactly Barrio Logan / Logan Heights and pretty much all the surrounding neighborhoods are not safe after dark, and like I said. Unless you live there, you have no business there.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 15,400 times
What?!?!?!
I live in Barrio Logan and used to live in Sherman Heights all my life! It is rather peaceful may I add.
I am Mexican-American.The most Cholos I see are the ones that come out during Chicano Park Day. Walking in the streets at night is dangerous anywhere. For me the most dangerous people here are the Hobos that smell like alcohol or just seem not right. But if you avoid them, they do not do anything either and some are friendly( there is one that says Hi every time you pass)
What murders?? Those do not happen anymore. There is a Police Station on 25th Street.
The most recent death was of someone who got run over by the trolley in Barrio Logan.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
I wouldn't like to live in a gang area for fear of getting caught up in gang cross-fire. No matter how OK it was during the day or night.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollo.mendez View Post
What?!?!?!
I live in Barrio Logan and used to live in Sherman Heights all my life! It is rather peaceful may I add.
I am Mexican-American.The most Cholos I see are the ones that come out during Chicano Park Day. Walking in the streets at night is dangerous anywhere. For me the most dangerous people here are the Hobos that smell like alcohol or just seem not right. But if you avoid them, they do not do anything either and some are friendly( there is one that says Hi every time you pass)
What murders?? Those do not happen anymore. There is a Police Station on 25th Street.
The most recent death was of someone who got run over by the trolley in Barrio Logan.
LOL....the cholos are too old to be bangin' anymore and their kids are too busy on Facebook and playing with their Wii these days! I love Chicano Park Days and I'm hoping to get to Fiesta Del Sol this weekend. So glad the Mercado is being built, as we speak. Gonzalez Northgate!

Last edited by sdurbanite; 08-12-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 12:30 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
While I haven't managed to find myself wandering around there alone at night, I walk in Barrio Logan and Logan Heights often during the day and never have felt I was in any danger- quite to the contrary I have found both neighborhoods to be very vibrant and welcoming to this middle aged white guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego