Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 9,930 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are planning to move to the San Diego area from MA - and for obvious reasons, we are unable to personally drive through and evaluate different areas.

We are both 23 and very active (hiking, biking, running etc.) and would like to be near the beach, preferably within walking distance. As for the area, we would like the city to be accessible, but would rather have a more low-key relaxed place to call home. We do like to go out, so an area with a younger demographic and decent nightlife (restaurants, bars, music etc.) would be nice, without the over-crowded city feel...

Can anyone recommend an area that would be interesting? Also, what would be an average price for a 1BR apartment within say a mile of the beach? I would like to pay somewhere around 1200/mo - is this possible?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:53 AM

18,977 posts, read 32,559,881 times
North Pacific Beach & the Bird Rock/Windansea area of La Jolla would be my first two choices. Not as rowdy as Central PB but still close to nightlife, the rest of the city, and beach. $1200 should get you a 1br in PB but that might be pushing it for Bird Rock/Windansea area.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,844,242 times
Encinitas might work for you. Still a funky little beach town along the coast with shopping and housing a few miles inland. Lots of surfing, hiking, biking opportunities. Laid back, family-oriented vibe but enough of a restaurant/bar scene for 20 somethings, too. Downtown SD is 30 minutes away by car, 45 minutes by commuter train.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,566,480 times
I would definitely agree with sav858 and go with N.Pacific Beach area.Plus the access into the area is pretty easy into and out or getting to and from the 5 Freeway.The La Jolla part im not 100% sure but if you have a substantial amount of income then I don't see why Brid Rock would be a problem.Not totally on my list as a second vote maybe a third option.I say the lower part of OB,over towards Sunset Cliffs/Pt Loma Nazarene then the LJ area.

But a good response on sav858's part!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:45 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,559,881 times
^Thanks jk. Yeah I was thinking about that area too south of Newport in OB. The nightlife is a little more laid back than PB too, which may be what the OP would want as certain aspects of PB nightlife can be annoying. Less meatheads than PB but more hippies if that is their thing. Plus that area is in the OP's price range and La Jolla probably is not except for small dumpier places.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:28 AM

33 posts, read 50,333 times
We lived in Solana Beach for a year, and I loved it.

It's definitely laid back and not over-crowded. There's some wonderful local restaurants, a few bars, and a great venue for live music.

I don't think it would be difficult to find a place in your price range.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 AM

Thanks for all the help guys! One more question - I run an auto detailing service and was planning on continuing this in the San Diego area. Does anyone have any insight? Is this popular? Average cost? It would most likely be just a one-man shop. I am very detail oriented and provide great service. Would you expect people to be interested in this operation, or do large chain detail shops dominate the industry?

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,557,207 times
Auto detailing is a very competitive biz in San Diego. The Mexicans are very good auto detailers. Every carwash has a detail area.

Prices? Well there's 'published prices' and 'coupon prices'. My junk mail is filled with auto detailing coupons.

Here's a detailer who operates out of a downtown parking garage: Jerry's Detailing Home Page
His target market is business people working in the area.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 PM

I see. Those prices are relatively expensive compared to the average price here in Massachusetts.

Do many business offer mobile detailing? ie. a truck with water tank and pump and all necessary tools and product that come detail at the customer's location.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,557,207 times
My wife just got a mobile auto detail biz card on her windshield today from Esparza's Mobile Auto Detail. His rates:
Custom Wash: $20
Hand Wax: $50
Full Detail: $180
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego