Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times

Advertisements

I don't really notice the humidity here compared to other places. I remember a damply humid NYC summer. It's not like that here, unless you are right on the water, and even then probably not so bad. You can always live 10-15 miles inland where it is closer to the desert-like weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 27,377 times
Default Thanks f_m

Dear f_m:
Thanks for the advice. You and the other poster who does Yoga seem to be the only ones that have really experienced good ole' NYC weather. San Diego looks like a good bet for my condition without having to deal with the superhot summers of AZ.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
If you live in the inland area of San Diego, you'll experience superhot summers. But I wouldn't live close to the water, thought - it would be more humid there. It's more humid here than in AZ, but not much. It's nothing like the East Coast, though.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM

114 posts, read 308,878 times
Can some explain me why high humidity is bad? I always thought that low humidity would be dangerous.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:26 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCalifornian View Post
Can some explain me why high humidity is bad? I always thought that low humidity would be dangerous.
High humidity makes even mild temperatures feel downright muggy. For example, we were in La Quinta last weekend, 108 in the shade. But when you walk inside a building with air conditioning, you're automatically cool, no sweating. Here, it's 77 but you feel damp all day. It feels worse than the temperature. I'm not sayng I'd want to live in the desert over the beach, but that's the argument for and against humidity.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:32 PM

171 posts, read 588,384 times
Having lived in both NY and San Diego and currently live in the south I have experienced it all.

My first summer in NY after growing up in SD my entire life was BRUTAL. I had never experienced anything like that in my life. It rained a lot during that summer which I was not used to (really only rains in SD during the winter) and it felt like a sauna. The temps were not very high either in NY (Maybe mid 80s) but it felt way worse.

I've lived on the east coast for the past 7 years and I am still not used to it. Here in Atlanta it is much worse than NY, so we spend a lot of time inside which stinks. I was always out and about in San Diego. My wife and I will be visiting in a few weeks and can't wait to escape this steambox for a week.

Its all relative though. In San Diego it is very dry most of the year and when some tropical moisture raises the dewpoint by 5 degrees or so it is very noticeable even though its not really "humid" by east coast standards. Same thing happens here...About a month ago the dewpoint fell into the low 60s and it felt so dry and awesome, but San Diego was even drier than that at the time.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
Having lived in both NY and San Diego and currently live in the south I have experienced it all.

My first summer in NY after growing up in SD my entire life was BRUTAL. I had never experienced anything like that in my life. It rained a lot during that summer which I was not used to (really only rains in SD during the winter) and it felt like a sauna. The temps were not very high either in NY (Maybe mid 80s) but it felt way worse.

I've lived on the east coast for the past 7 years and I am still not used to it. Here in Atlanta it is much worse than NY, so we spend a lot of time inside which stinks. I was always out and about in San Diego. My wife and I will be visiting in a few weeks and can't wait to escape this steambox for a week.

Its all relative though. In San Diego it is very dry most of the year and when some tropical moisture raises the dewpoint by 5 degrees or so it is very noticeable even though its not really "humid" by east coast standards. Same thing happens here...About a month ago the dewpoint fell into the low 60s and it felt so dry and awesome, but San Diego was even drier than that at the time.
Man, Atlanta. Not that's humidity. It's worse than Midwest humidity. We have family in Milwaukee and when we were kids, we'd go visit in July/August and always wonder "why did we leave Solana Beach for this?" It was brutal. I bet you're looking forward to a visit home!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
Actually, the dewpoints were in the 65-67 degree range last week, which was definitely noticable. I just checked the dewpoint in ATL and it's only 64 there now. But compared to Miami, where it's regularly in the mid to upper 70's, both SD and ATL are bone dry.

Today, dewpoints are back in the 50's with highs in the mid 70's/low 80's - perfect

Old 08-07-2009, 07:20 PM

171 posts, read 588,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Actually, the dewpoints were in the 65-67 degree range last week, which was definitely noticable. I just checked the dewpoint in ATL and it's only 64 there now. But compared to Miami, where it's regularly in the mid to upper 70's, both SD and ATL are bone dry.

Today, dewpoints are back in the 50's with highs in the mid 70's/low 80's - perfect
I am very thankful that we are having a break from the steam. They say it will only last a few days, but also remember dewpoints are lower midday compared to the morning (Hence dew on the cars in the morning).

I am not saying it doesn't get muggy in San Diego, but it is definitely not the norm. Saying San Diego is humid is like saying Miami is cold. Muggy days are far and few between compared to the humid subtropical areas (Atlanta included) where we have it consistently from May-September.

During the pacific hurricane season there may be tropical moisture in the area that can cause some thunderstorms mostly in the mountains and deserts, but some people may enjoy it as it breaks the monotony of San Diego weather.

If you compare the moisture in the San Diego area (currently dewpoint 62) to Corpus Christi, TX (currently dewpoint 76) its like two different worlds. Also take into account if you go inland it can be a different story. The dewpoint in Lakeside is currently 49.

One of the reasons I love San Diego and consider myself fortunate to be born there is the microclimates. Too hot inland? Go to the beach communities for sometimes a 20 degree difference. Too cold in winter? Go camping in Borrego springs.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Man, Atlanta. Not that's humidity. It's worse than Midwest humidity. We have family in Milwaukee and when we were kids, we'd go visit in July/August and always wonder "why did we leave Solana Beach for this?" It was brutal. I bet you're looking forward to a visit home!
Family and not being selfish were likely your parent's reasons hopefully instilled to the kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego