U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:58 PM

8 posts, read 21,358 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to the area north of SD. Near or around Carlsbad (where the job is)

I am a Systems admin & will be earning 80-95k & my wife is a ICU Nurse (she does not know what she would earn there but a guess is 70K)

Where are some good areas to live in driving distance to Carlsbad & will we be able to afford to live there at all we have 2 kids as well.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 06:34 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,588,133 times
You can actually afford Carlsbad. South Oceanside is nice as well.
Avoid anything off of the 78 freeway as it can be a real nightmare.
MBG

Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 PM

Good to hear. I have heard costs in CA were crazy and we would have to live in a shack or somthing. lol

Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM

8,496 posts, read 27,475,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EITadmin View Post
Good to hear. I have heard costs in CA were crazy and we would have to live in a shack or somthing. lol
You'll have your pick of SD's best areas, but since you will be working in Carlsbad you'll probably want to stay close by. Your money will go a lot farther in Carlsbad than it will in the older, closer-in coastal areas.

Personally, if I was looking in the 1-1.5M range I'd be dead set on La Jolla, close in the village. My wife ran the La Jolla Half Marathon this weekend and I had to park deep in the neighborhoods... I was drooling over those gorgeous stucco tudor cottages! You'll get twice the size but half the charm up in North County. Definitely check out Encinitas, Olivenhain, and Solana Beach too.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:43 PM

110 posts, read 481,031 times
There's lots of choice, but it depends of course on what you want. Older homes can be found closer to the beach in Carlsbad and south (Leucadia, Encinitas, Solana Beach, definitely stay out of Oceanside to the north), but they are older and smaller, with tiny lots. If you go inland you can afford more space; inland on Palomar Airport Rd for example, there are nice communities to the south of this road. Aviara is desirable (in the La Costa section of Carlsbad) but pricey; new construction can be found in Bressi Ranch, then further to the east is Rancho Carillo (nice elementary school), and then ever less expensive (but still nice) are the communities of Rancho Dorado and The Laurels in San Marcos, where you get the same house for lots less due to the zip code.

If weather is a concern, the fog seems to lift right around El Camino Real, so sunny skies prevail east of this point where fog can stay around all day west of there. Bressi Ranch and the others I mention are all east of El Camino Real.

We've lived in this region for many years; keep the thread going with questions if you have more.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:16 PM

Well I am moving from more of a northern central portion of the US & before that was overseas in northern europe. So I am guessing the weather anywhere in this area of the US I would consider nice. I am more used to rain every week or 2 & temperatures in the 40-70 range most of the time.

San Marcos was recamended by someone visiting the area (I dont think they know the area well though.)

I have not lived near an ocean since I was little & I dont even remember that really. Is it real crowded with people going to the beach? I would prefer some privacy as I am not really used to having neighbors at all realy but I realize its un avoidable here.

I dont think I would mind living inland since I am not used to having a beach anyways. A good sized house (I dont know what that is here up where im at its like 2500 sq feet or more) & a nice view of anything... mountains, ocean, lake, park lol its mostly farmland here to look at. I realize land in CA is much more $$ so I am not planning on a big yard & am prepared for a possible drop in sq feet for my house.

I mostly want to make sure I'm in a decent area for my kids to play in it will be some culture shock to go from playin in the yard here (about 1/2 acre) to playing outside in CA.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:48 PM

If you don't mind traffic and a bit of a commute, San Marcos would be okay.
It depends what you are wiling to sacrifice to have a larger house. I am just partial to Carlsbad, lived around that area off and on since I was about 3 years old...(I am over 40 now).
MBG

Old 04-26-2007, 04:18 PM

Somewhat off topic of real estate. I am going to get a new car at some point (I may delay it due to the move) but I hear gas costs more & there are laws against certain kinds of emissions etc. Where I am now everyone owns a 4x4 that gets 15mpg due to the snow.

Is CA gas and car fees so exspensive that I might want to consider a hybrid or somthing like that?

Old 04-26-2007, 06:12 PM

110 posts, read 481,031 times
If you want a view of something (not ocean, since this will jack your price up a lot), definitely check out San Marcos. The hills to the south make for nice views in some of the neighborhoods; better than any other community along the highway 78 corridor IMO.

Hybrids are big out here; gas is among the most expensive in the country. You'd just have to get your car to pass a smog test, and if it doesn't, get some extra equipment to make it so. The fees are based on assumed value of the vehicle (make, year) and are high compared with most states. If you plan to vacation in the mountains a 4x4 can come in handy, otherwise you won't need one unless you plan to do a lot of off-roading.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EITadmin View Post
Somewhat off topic of real estate. I am going to get a new car at some point (I may delay it due to the move) but I hear gas costs more & there are laws against certain kinds of emissions etc. Where I am now everyone owns a 4x4 that gets 15mpg due to the snow.

Is CA gas and car fees so exspensive that I might want to consider a hybrid or somthing like that?
You have to do a lot of driving to make up the additional cost of a hybrid.
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego