Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,135,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
We work hard for our money without giving it away to some scrounge.
my point exactly ...

Quote:
“At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge,” said the gentleman, taking up a pen, “it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.”
“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.
“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.
“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”
“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “I wish I could say they were not.”
“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.
“Both very busy, sir.”
“Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,” said Scrooge. “I’m very glad to hear it.”
“Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,” returned the gentleman, “a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?”
“Nothing!” Scrooge replied.
“You wish to be anonymous?”
“I wish to be left alone,” said Scrooge. “Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned—they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.”
“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”
“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides—excuse me—I don’t know that.”
“But you might know it,” observed the gentleman.
“It’s not my business,” Scrooge returned. “It’s enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people’s. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!”
Seeing clearly that it would be useless to pursue their point, the gentlemen withdrew. Scrooge resumed his labours with an improved opinion of himself, and in a more facetious temper than was usual with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,703,625 times
Yes, you were scammed

Here's a better one:

I was in LA two weekends ago and while I was pumping my gas, a late model SUV pulls up to the pump and a woman comes out and begins asking everyone at the station for gas money! Wow...I had never seen that one before. Then the person in the passenger seat gets out and stands on the running board and starts telling her "go ask that guy!" These people weren't down and out, which was even more amazing

Old 08-08-2009, 01:56 PM

258 posts, read 1,647,524 times
Default Another Strategy

I have an old stand by strategy for dealing with bums/panhandlers/scammers/druggies. If I don't feel like conversing with said bum, here is my simple strategy.
Since I speak fluent French, I immediately start speaking French when I'm being talked to by a bum. This always works. So far I've never run into a bum who understands French.
If you know a foreign language start speaking it and they will soon leave.
EXCEPT Spanish in this part of the country for obvious reasons !

Old 08-08-2009, 02:51 PM

11 posts, read 40,763 times
In my city of 156,000, it is against the law to panhandle. I see people holding cardboard signs at night around the downtown area, at night how are we suppose to read those? So when they come up to me and give me some kind of story I say I cannot help you. How do you know that they are not going to go out and buy a bottle of booze. One time me and a buddy stopped at McDonald's and bought chesseburgers for a couple of homeless guys and one of them said, after giving them the food, that they do cleaning of gutters, mow yards, shovel snow, if there so handy then why don't they find a job then. I know jobs can be scarce but some people don't like to pay taxes, I don't either but, hey taxes been around for awhile, it's nice to have a job, not begging on a street corner.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,537,044 times
When I travel I make sure I have enough on me in case of emergency. I can't sympathize with people who don't. If he said his credit card didn't work I would recommend him trying it somewhere else.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:06 PM

106 posts, read 253,519 times
scam

the biggest one is to approach you with an empty gas can asking for money

Old 08-08-2009, 04:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,947,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Well, the Bloom was at the gas station filling up, and a thin, but cleanly dressed bespeckled 50 yo man (who appeared gay but not sure), asked me for money to fill up his car. He said he was from Orange County (had a Santa Monica short-sleeved T-shirt on, didn't appear to have track marks on arm but didn't look close), ran out of gas, and his credit card didn't work. And had no second or ATM card (from Orange County, hmmm). He said something about his wife and cell phone (which would not jive with my impression of gay). Very, vey skeptically (I usually am cheap about these things) offered him 5 bucks. He wanted some more to really fill his tank to get back, but I told him that was the limit to Bloom's samaritanism and he would need to seek others. He offered to take my address to pay me back. Right, I'm going to give out my home or work address to a stranger. I gave him benefit of doubt, thinking if I was in his shoes (I have AAA though). Did I do the right thing? Or classic (Bernie Madoff) sucker I am?
This happened to us too - in the parking lot of the USS Midway. A guy said he just got off the cruise ship (which is next to the Midway) and that he lost his wallet and needed money to get his car out of the parking lot so he could get home. He gave my husband a hat from the cruise line and said he would send the money back to us if we gave him our address. I think hubby gave him $8.00. Me and the kids were laughing and telling him "You just got scammed." - and sure enough we see this guy going around to other people doing the same thing!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 AM

48 posts, read 146,623 times
Probably
But I would have asked to see his liscense and checked the address. I try to help people sometimes after I check their story. Sometimes people are legit. I never had to asked for money but I was locked out before on my way to work and had to ask to borrow someone phone. That was rough.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:44 PM

453 posts, read 1,623,482 times
this is the other side of it, my brother who is 50, and a school teacher, had very little gas in his truck, pulled into a gas station to call me to see if I could come give him some money to get him home. I was at work and could not help him. Being new to the area, we knew no one that could help. I didn't know what to do for him. We are in AZ and the teaching pay is ridiculous. He was to get paid the next day, but was flat broke. Someone offered to give him money to put gas in his truck, but he chose to wait for me to get off of work. So in all reality, sometimes people are between a rock and a hard place and don't know what to do.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:01 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,467,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Well, the Bloom was at the gas station filling up, and a thin, but cleanly dressed bespeckled 50 yo man (who appeared gay but not sure), asked me for money to fill up his car. He said he was from Orange County (had a Santa Monica short-sleeved T-shirt on, didn't appear to have track marks on arm but didn't look close), ran out of gas, and his credit card didn't work. And had no second or ATM card (from Orange County, hmmm). He said something about his wife and cell phone (which would not jive with my impression of gay). Very, vey skeptically (I usually am cheap about these things) offered him 5 bucks. He wanted some more to really fill his tank to get back, but I told him that was the limit to Bloom's samaritanism and he would need to seek others. He offered to take my address to pay me back. Right, I'm going to give out my home or work address to a stranger. I gave him benefit of doubt, thinking if I was in his shoes (I have AAA though). Did I do the right thing? Or classic (Bernie Madoff) sucker I am?

I would have asked to see his driver's license. If it had an OC address I'd think the story plausible and help him out a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego