Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times

Advertisements

I read an article written by a man going for his Masters. For his Thesis he chose homeless people. He would go to NYC, change clothes, and sit on a street corner begging. He admited he made more money on the street corner, on a daily basis, than he did working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
I had some guy come up to my window at a stoplight on Market Street east of downtown asking me for money in a rude tone, I told him that I work for my money and to go get a f-n job and he tried to stick me with a knife through my open window. I was coming back from my lunch break at Henry's BBQ and when I got to the shop I called the cops. Being me, I had to go back and rubberneck ! The cops did show up to check the guy out and he started up with the cops. I watched from a distance as the cops carted his ass off to jail. It's OK to ask for help but not like that.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 PM

I'll help my friends and family but that's it. I don't need the harrasement.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I would never believe it. Never. No hard-working homeowner goes driving around without a dime in their pocket, no credit card, no debit card, no cell phone to call someone, not even enough change in the glovebox to get enough gas to get to a pay phone? People must really be suckers to fall for that stuff.

And there are any doper, junkie, crackhead or loser can catch a shave and throw on clean clothes and look like a citizen. What kind of con artist spends all day mooching fivers off of people at gas stations?
Personally, I don't think these scammers are doing it to buy drugs or booze.

I think these scammers do these scams for a living, and they probably use the scam money to pay their own rent and bills.

When you collect $5 at a time, all day long, the money adds up.

She probably makes more money in a few hours then some people do all day at a real job.

The scammer who came up to my car in Mission Valley looked and acted like a perfectly average middle-aged woman, who was just having an unfortunate experience. She in no way, resembled or sounded anything like the people I typically see with signs in intersections.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Bloom, I would have done exactly what you did.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

I think these scammers do these scams for a living, and they probably use the scam money to pay their own rent and bills.

When you collect $5 at a time, all day long, the money adds up.

She probably makes more money in a few hours then some people do all day at a real job.

The scammer who came up to my car in Mission Valley looked and acted like a perfectly average middle-aged woman, who was just having an unfortunate experience. She in no way, resembled or sounded anything like the people I typically see with signs in intersections.
I've learned from experience that you can't "judge a book by it's cover".

Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

Believe whatever you want... losers come in all shapes, sizes and colors. And note I said "McDonalds" too... it's just like crack.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 PM

500 posts, read 748,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Observer View Post
I have an old stand by strategy for dealing with bums/panhandlers/scammers/druggies. If I don't feel like conversing with said bum, here is my simple strategy.
Since I speak fluent French, I immediately start speaking French when I'm being talked to by a bum. This always works. So far I've never run into a bum who understands French.
If you know a foreign language start speaking it and they will soon leave.
EXCEPT Spanish in this part of the country for obvious reasons !
You're lucky, SD Observer! I can speak conversational Chinese but being white, guess I can't pass it off as my only language. Oh well!

Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I would never believe it. Never. No hard-working homeowner goes driving around without a dime in their pocket, no credit card, no debit card, no cell phone to call someone, not even enough change in the glovebox to get enough gas to get to a pay phone? People must really be suckers to fall for that stuff.
On a typical day, all I have in my pocket is my car keys and a credit card. I only have one (plus the debit card, which is in my wife's wallet most of the time). Sometimes I carry a cell phone, but more often than not it's discharged or left at home (modern cell phones typically work 1-2 days on a single charge). I have no cash or coins in my car, and the last time I had more than $1 of physical money on my person was probably in June.

I sure hope I don't end up running into you if I run out of gas and my credit card is declined for any reason.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:52 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
I sure hope I don't end up running into you if I run out of gas and my credit card is declined for any reason.
I wouldn't be rude, but I wouldn't even entertain it long enough to hear the sob story. Just a "sorry, no thanks", and I'm on to whatever I was doing. This stuff happens all day in the city. I just don't pay attention to it. That's the New Yorker in me.

You might want to consider stashing 20 bucks in your wallet for emergencies. Or at least a working cell phone, even my 70-year old father can handle that one. I might ask a stranger to borrow a cell phone in an emergency - so I could call my family or a friend. But I would never beg for money from a stranger.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-12-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego