Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times

Advertisements

Well, the Bloom was at the gas station filling up, and a thin, but cleanly dressed bespeckled 50 yo man (who appeared gay but not sure), asked me for money to fill up his car. He said he was from Orange County (had a Santa Monica short-sleeved T-shirt on, didn't appear to have track marks on arm but didn't look close), ran out of gas, and his credit card didn't work. And had no second or ATM card (from Orange County, hmmm). He said something about his wife and cell phone (which would not jive with my impression of gay). Very, vey skeptically (I usually am cheap about these things) offered him 5 bucks. He wanted some more to really fill his tank to get back, but I told him that was the limit to Bloom's samaritanism and he would need to seek others. He offered to take my address to pay me back. Right, I'm going to give out my home or work address to a stranger. I gave him benefit of doubt, thinking if I was in his shoes (I have AAA though). Did I do the right thing? Or classic (Bernie Madoff) sucker I am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Having been raised in big cities, he would NOT have gotten any money from me. He should have gone to the police for assistance from the local agencies. Maybe I'm cold but that's from experience.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Having been raised in big cities, he would NOT have gotten any money from me. He should have gone to the police for assistance from the local agencies. Maybe I'm cold but that's from experience.
Agreed. At the very least if you really felt bad ask him which pump and offer to go inside and put a couple bucks on it.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,713 times
SCAM never give money to anyone.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Agreed. At the very least if you really felt bad ask him which pump and offer to go inside and put a couple bucks on it.
I was raised in NJ and have spent alot of time in NYC so I learned fast to say to to "hustlers". The people who truely need help seem to know to go to the authorities and not strangers.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
That appears to be a common scam in SD.

I've had it happen to me twice in the past few years, and I turned them down both times.

One I was in Mission Valley outside of Food4Less, and a middle-aged lady approached me at my car, and said she needed money to get back to Temecula. She said she would mail the money back. I told her there were several ATMs within walking distance. Then she left and went to other cars.

I think people use that scam because it gets them the most money, rather then use the basic street corner begging.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:57 PM

Wait gents, you're probably right, but I'm also a slicker of sorts. I guess what would a legitimate situation look like? I don't think he was a druggie but he was pretty thin. And the gay look with the wife, geez.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 PM

There's no set "look" to a person pulling a scam. The can look, anywhere, from a derelict to a well dress family person. Suggest they go to the police, Salvation Army, or another social service or just say no.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 AM

So far, the consensus to the first question is Yes. Anyone disagree? What about my second question? What would you do if this happened to you (in which case you may be stupid to have it happen to you in the first place - no cash, just one credit/ATM card, no friends, or not stupid). Sassberto?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
If this was me I would've told him to **** off.

But I'm originally from Boston so I'm used to telling people to leave me alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego