Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,143 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I've spent a few days combing through Google / CA DMV / message boards. I understand how to register my car in CA, and I don't think the system is THAT complicated.

What I want to know is... The DMV site states that if the vehicle has been purchased out-of-state within 365 days (1 year), registering it in CA requires the owner to pay the difference in sales tax between the home state and CA. I bought the car in Nov 2008, with no scheming about cheating California out of tax (I drove here from New England). I personally think that a year-long window is absurd. My question is: What if I just wait until Nov 2009 to register my car?

I know that the police might stop me (I've read alot of forums about this topic). I know that someone might turn me in. I know that it would probably be simpler to just register now and be done with it. But doing so would cost me an additional $500! (I used to fee calculator on the DMV site to estimate) My girlfriend moved here 2 and a half years ago and she STILL has her out-of-state plate, and has never been hasseled. I don't mind switching my plates, but paying $500 extra bucks to do so seems rediculous to me, when I could just wait a few months.

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Don't sweat it. Just make sure your current plates have up-to-date registration stickers. And try real hard not to get a ticket of any kind.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,062 times
If I purchase a new car out of state and bring it in, have smog done (it does have CA standard emissions), pay the registration and licensing fees, can I put off paying the sales/use tax as long as I pay it within the tax year it was purchased? Wishful thinking? Thanks, Dawn

Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
You have to pay everything at one time. DMV likes their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego