Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 17,897 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

This is my first post so, I guess I shall start by introducing myself.

Well, I'm 24 male and single. I'm an Engineer currently working in PA. I'll be moving to San Diego for another job around mid-September. The company will be paying for shipping all my stuff (car, belongings, etc). I'll also be staying in a company paid location for the first month or so. This will give me some time to go and look for places after I get there.

However, I wanted to prepare myself before I get there and kind of narrow down my options for living so to make it easier when I get there and go hunting for places.

I am looking for something around $900-$1100/month (less would be better). I am 24 so, I would like to be in an environment where it's easier to meet new people and go out and have fun (i.e. good nightlife). Meeting girls is another goal...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,544,121 times
Welcome to San Diego. I'm originally from the Philly area. I think you're going to like it here.

San Diego is a big place. In what part of town will you be working? Not looking for an exact address. Just some cross streets or a zip code would be fine.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:03 AM

9 posts, read 35,794 times
Pacific Beach is the spot....Lot's of younger singles....and check out roommates.com, if you don't mind sharing an apt, you could find a decent one for 600-900 a month. My handle is SailorMan44 on there, and I've been looking there too. You might even find a female roomate, who will have lots of friends....LOL....My buddy from the Marines lives there. (Pacific Beach) and LOVES IT...

Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Welcome to San Diego. I'm originally from the Philly area. I think you're going to like it here.

San Diego is a big place. In what part of town will you be working? Not looking for an exact address. Just some cross streets or a zip code would be fine.
I'll be working in Poway. But, I don't think I would want to live there since, it would be pretty far from all the action. And, I don't really mind driving 1/2 hr or less. I can maybe even take a train to work (if available).

I just want to be in a location where there are lot of people around my age (no d-bags, though) who I can meet and hang out with.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Any other advice?!? 71+ views, there's got to be some valuable info out there....

Old 08-12-2009, 06:55 PM

15,116 posts, read 32,198,401 times
While you're waiting, check out the posts on living here. But if you want action, live in PB.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:35 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,963,077 times
Poway is a very nice residential area. It has some sections with very beautiful homes. It is around 15 miles inland. I believe it's mostly a family-oriented community.

I would compare Pacific Beach to South St. in Philly, and also Seaside Heights and Wildwood in NJ. PB is is filled with 20 somethings who are into partying. The beach itself (sand & boardwalk) has a no-alcohol allowed rule (recently passed) so the beaches are no longer loud or rowdy, like they were in the past. This no-alcohol rule applies to all San Diego beaches, as well as most (if not all) beaches in California.

Another area to consider is Mission Valley. It has lots of newer apartment complexes, and is home to lots of young professionals.

Your price range sort of limits your choices. If you lived with a roommate, you can afford much nicer places, in nicer areas. You can find plenty of roommates on San Diego Craigslist.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 PM

^^^ Cool. Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:33 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,544,121 times
PB would probably be perfect for you. However, a PB to Poway commute could be brutal. While you're home hunting, take a look at Del Mar. Del Mar is a lot more upscale than PB with nice beaches and good nightlife. It's also about 10 miles closer to Poway.

With your rent budget of $900-$1100 a month, you'll probably need to share a place with someone. Living in the beach areas is fun but it certainly ain't cheap.

Here's an example: Master bedroom available - 100 feet from the beach (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/roo/1319396992.html - broken link)
If you lived here, you'd be less than 30 minutes to most places in Poway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego